The strings are pretty close to frets closest to the headstock, close enough to the point where I couldn't use light guitar strings because it was buzzing. But as it goes down the fret board it gets farther away and is sloped. I never really thought anything of it but now I am playing a song with chords on the 12th fret and it is really difficult to not mute surrounding strings because they are up so high. I am not sure whether this is standard and unavoidable or my Yamaha FG700s is set up poorly. I dont have any measurements or anything just wondering if this is normal.
Depends on how much slope there is. Get a tech to look at it. If the neck is too deeply bowed, a truss rod adjustment will fix it. If the bow is fine, the strings will likely need to be raised at the nut (new nut, $20).

EDIT A new nut will probably mean a corresponding lowering of the action at the bridge. They trim the bottom of it or remove shims if it has any under it. Don't worry, at least its cheap fixes, unless the entire neck has to be reset.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by illinihoops
The strings are pretty close to frets closest to the headstock, close enough to the point where I couldn't use light guitar strings because it was buzzing. But as it goes down the fret board it gets farther away and is sloped. I never really thought anything of it but now I am playing a song with chords on the 12th fret and it is really difficult to not mute surrounding strings because they are up so high. I am not sure whether this is standard and unavoidable or my Yamaha FG700s is set up poorly. I dont have any measurements or anything just wondering if this is normal.

It's easy to check if the neck is bowed or warped.

Just put a capo on 1st fret and hold down 1st and 6th strings at 12th fret.

If you don't have a capo, you can either tape the strings down, or use a second person's finger.

You should just be able to slide a heavy plectrum (or possibly a credit card), under each string ABOVE the fretwire at fret 6/7.

If there is a lot of space and you could get two or more picks in, the truss probably needs adjusting.

If you can slip the pick between the string and fret and it stays there by its self, then you may also need to adjust the Nut/Bridge.

see here: Truss rod adjusting

and here;Link to this forum

and here; Link to article at Musician's Friend

Dave the Rave - "You can't sack me! - I'm Sack-less!"

Yamaha FGX412
Takamine CEB
Roland Cube
Korg Tuner CA-30
Couple of 1960's Echo Super Vampers mouth harps.
(. . . plus a cheap Rogue black Dread'nt 6 String and a black Mandolin in USA)