I have a B-52 ST-6012, and unfortunately its not working out as well as I thought, I have had it for six months and I cannot get a good sound out of it. I have put pedals in front of it, and new tubes in it. The only sound I have gotten is static, buzzing, and hissing out of it. My guitars plugged in sound ****tier than they did plug into a Spider III 75w. So I think I need to replace the thing. I mean even with spending hour of dicking around with my pedals, and the amps eq, i have still gotting nothing but terrible tones out of it. Even when my friends tried the amp they couldnt get a decent sound out of it, even my friend who has been playing guitar for several years and could be considered a virtuoso cant get a good tone out of it so it is not me. The thing has no variation, it cannot clean up nor can it put a decent chug out even with a distortion pedal on it. So basically I got screwed out of $750, now I need to replace it. So whats a decent amp head and cab set-up that I can get for no more than $1000? I might be able to just buy a head and plug it into the speakers on this cab if they are still good. So any head/cab combo that I can get for a decent price on ebay or new, or a head that will suit my needs.
Well the closest "city" would be either Lancaster/Palmdael or Bakersfield. I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert in California. The closest BIG city woul be LA but thats 3 hours away.
Also note that even with my ISP Decimator at max, the damn thing hisses and buzzes. Does that mean that the speakers or tubes could be bad? I hope not since I haven't been playing my amp too loud for the speakers to crap out nor have I have the tubes for over two months so they shouldn't have died yet.
Go to one of the carvin shops

Carvin Factory
12340 World Trade Dr.
San Diego, CA 92128
M-F 10:00am - 6:30pm
SAT. 10:00am - 5:30pm
(858) 487-8700

Hollywood
7414 Sunset Blvd.
Hollywood, CA 90046
M-F 10am - 6:30pm
SAT. 10am - 5:30pm
(323) 851-4200

Santa Ana
1907 N. Main St.
Santa Ana, CA 92706
(714) 558-0655

Sacramento
4391 Gateway Park Blvd. #620
Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 760-7780

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=V3

Try out the V3 head. You will not be disappointed. It is great for everything and will only run you 850 so you will have a set amount of cash left over to save up for upgrading your old cab's speakers if necessary.
There's a Mesa Boogie store in Hollywood, and a guitar center and Samash down the street from it. Go down there and test out a few things.

I would recommend:
Used Peavey XXX head
Peavey 6505 head
ENGL thunder 50W head
Used Peavey JSX head
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
So is your plan to buy brand new off the Internet or what?

My vote is this. I am assuming you play metal?

Peavey XXX head $650
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/msg/1043538940.html

Marshall 1960b 4x12 cab $400
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/msg/1046384114.html

or

Randall 4x12 cab $300
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/msg/1045926078.html

I found a Ampeg Jet as well but it was a combo. I also see a Line 6 Bogner combo. Then I found the XXX I listed. The new Peavey 3120 is worth a look. Randall RG head or maybe a B52 AT head.

And if you are willing to drive to LA - that would certainly open up your options. As far as the noise I would try your Decimator and guitar in someone elses amp to rule out. You may have a bad preamp tube (but I think you said you replaced all of the tubes), so maybe it is a bad solder joint or something in on the circuit board.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 11, 2009,
No. buying an amp right off the internet is what I did with the B-52 ST-6012 and it is very disappointing. I want to test something at a decent store, either a show room floor of a manufacture, or a Sam Ash, or a Platinum Guitar Center. The GCs in Palmdale and Bakersfield are terrible, they don't even maintain their amps. What I want is an amp that is versitile. I play things like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Death, Children of Bodom, Dream Theater, Trivium (Crusade & Shogun), Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Shadows Fall, Mastadon, Amon Amarth, Alter Bridge, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Queensryche, Steve Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, Joe Satch, Rush, Pantara, Pink Floyd, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Ozzy, Tool, etc. Basically 80s Metal to Modern Metal. Grunge and Classic Rock to Prog Metal/Rock. Mainly Metal, Blues, Jazz, and Classic Hard Rock. So whatever can cover that broad and long list lol.
Last edited by SCopeland24 at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by SCopeland24
Well the closest "city" would be either Lancaster/Palmdael or Bakersfield. I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert in California. The closest BIG city woul be LA but thats 3 hours away.

Dude..... LA craigslist. I live an hour south of downtown and there are always deals popping up. It's worth the drive if you ask me, the selection is crazy sometimes. I had to stop looking....
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by nyandres
Bugera 333XL. One of the best sounding amps out there.

I can vouge for this recomendation.
I own a 333XL and prefer it to my friends Mesa Dual Rectifier personally.
A Bugera and a custom cabinet from Avatar Cabinets would be great.
Load the thing with whatever speakers you want since the head is only $600

Here are the prices for a traditional styled 212 cabinet.

Mix any Celestion Vintage 30s, Greenback's, G12T75s, G12H30s,Classic Lead 80's, Hellatone 30s , Hellatone 60s, 60Ls, G12K100s for $369 + $39 Shipping
Which matches your budget perfectly and will get you a great tone.

There are clips of the Bugera 333xl on my profile but they aren't as good as you can get as i made them on my first day of owning the amp.

I plan on making another set of Clips relatively soon.
That's a pretty broad list of tones

Not sure the XXX can do all of that but obviously you play before you pay on craigslist deals.

I PERSONALLY would not get a Bugera after all the issues I've read about them but I'm convinced if you follow the 'set-up' steps in BeerChurches blog you'd end up with a decent amp for the money.

Another option would be to buy a new Peavey 3120 from GC in Bakersfield (they may have to order). You would have 30 days to return. I've played it twice now and was pretty happy with what I heard. It has EL34 power tubes and a clean channel to boot so it's pretty versatile.

Just throwin out another idea. Good luck.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 11, 2009,
Looks like I'll be heading down to LA Spring Break. Looks like I'm gonna have to find a job lol.
Ok so I narrowed my list down:

Carvin V3 head
Peavey 3120 head
Peavey JSX head
Peavey 6505
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall JCM 800 2203

Any other head I should try while I'm down there?
Quote by SCopeland24
Ok so I narrowed my list down:

Carvin V3 head
Peavey 3120 head
Peavey JSX head
Peavey 6505
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall JCM 800 2203

Any other head I should try while I'm down there?

Id add the 333xl onto a test run atleast in person.

May i say, at a live show whilst packing up my 333xl fell off a 412 cabinet onto the floor.
I wouldn't trust any amplifer to take that myself.
Not a damn thing happened to it.
Evrything sounds the same as before hand.

These clips are a bit of a worry but for the sound quality of the bugera for the price tag its a damn good deal.
May i also add its versatile as hell?

If none of this convinces you to atleast try the thing out, i will be doing more clips soon in which i will mess with the knobs a lot and trying out several tones you can get out of the thing tomorow probably.
Quote by occub
Dude..... LA craigslist. I live an hour south of downtown and there are always deals popping up. It's worth the drive if you ask me, the selection is crazy sometimes. I had to stop looking....

This! Set up some appointments in advance. For around 1k - 1200 you can get some nice Marshall half-stacks, but it depends on what sounds you want. Marshall's do vintage rock, punk, rock, and older metal to different degrees of awesome depending on the model. Looking at your list I would say try out a JMP with master lead, JCM 800, JCM 900 or DSL with a 1960 cab for 4x12 or less for a 2x12. That should put you in the 800-1200 range. I cannot really speak to the other suggestions as I haven't played 'em. Maybe do some testing out of stuff at your local GC, but buy used for more bang for your buck.
Also other than the fact the amp sounded like crap, my B-52 does not have enough chuggy distortion even with an EQ Pedal an OD pedal and a modded MT-2, it just doesnt get that thrash/death metal chug that I want.