I've been researching the multi-effects units that i can use to play with headphones and record on my PC. So far the POD x3 looks like my best bet but i still have some questions.

Does the X3 have an auxiliary input that an Mp3 player can be hooked into? Some spec sheets says it does but i cant see it in pictures.

Are there any buzzing/hissing issues when recording through USB or wearing headphones?

thats about it
Not sure about the MP3 hookup, although with the Gearbox software you can play your MP3s and slow them down ect. in the program. As for hiss and noise... none. All the Line 6 gear I've ever owned has recorded beautifully. I would recommend a nice set of headphone thoug, maybe a set of Sennheiser HD 280s or something. You won't regret it.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
I don't know about a dedicated MP3 input, but I'm sure you could get a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and plug an MP3 player into the return of the loop on the POD.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
no aux input...i use my itunes through usb...no noises...and i use hd280's and they work well but line6 recommends 150 ohms and up headphones...
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Thanks so much for the replies.

Even though im really tight on cash im considering the POD X3 Live now... it has the aux input and a few other things. Hmm.
I am torn....... I have a Spider Valve 212 with an fbv shortboard, i want an x3 pro rack unit to use as a pre amp, straight into the power amp of my spider ( this is looking like too much cash)! is the kidney bean x3 able to be used as a pre amp? i don't want a live as i have the shortboard. Any help would kick arse! cheers!
All multifx can be used as a preamp.

To the OP.... If recording and workstation features like onboard 8 track recorder, record using USB, onboard mp3 backing tracks, and drum machine are useful you might look at the GNX4. I have both an X3 Live and a GNX4. The X3 is a better multifx if you disregard the workstation features. But I find the drum/mp3 backing tracks and onboard recorder keep me using the GNX4 more than the X3.
i think it has more than that. but yeah the pod x3 have aux input although u have to buy the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. one thing i like about my x3 live is that it has its own dedicated mic channel. so no latency lag when i record both vocal and guitar track. really really useful when it comes to studio recording. although i have to agree with fly135 on the drum/mp3 and onboard recorder which the gearbox software clearly lacks
Quote by tyrrell_matthew
I am torn....... I have a Spider Valve 212 with an fbv shortboard, i want an x3 pro rack unit to use as a pre amp, straight into the power amp of my spider ( this is looking like too much cash)! is the kidney bean x3 able to be used as a pre amp? i don't want a live as i have the shortboard. Any help would kick arse! cheers!

Better solution would be to use the M13 with the four cable hookup method. Check Line 6's website forums, theres a TON of great info on what will work best for your SV.
Line 6 M13
Quote by tyrrell_matthew
Does the pod X3 have user patches like the X3L?

Yes it does.
Line 6 M13
Quote by tyrrell_matthew
Does the pod X3 have user patches like the X3L?

Yes. it the same thing. only thing the live as is stuff like effect loop, aux in and some other connections and inputs but other than that its the same thing.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2