Well, I really want to start writing poetry/lyrics to songs and stuff. The problem is, I don't know where to start. I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

Instramental song writing isn't too difficult and it's actually much easier for me to do than this is. I feel like I can express myself better with an instrument rather than words. However, I might feel what the song is about, but others would be clueless. So, I decided to try and write lyrical songs or poetry, but I can't think of anything. I'm inspired, yes - let's not go into this, please - but I just have so much to say and I don't know how to say it.

I've tried this before and it all sounded like a huge cliche. Then I found that instrumental seemed more expressive to me and I gave up trying to write lyrics for a while. Well, now I realize that nobody else that I know really get's the full point of instrumental songs. I could get the basic point across - Love or hate were the two most common ones for me - but they never seemed to get "what about it." What about love? What about hate? This is where I feel lyrics could help me a lot.

So where should I start in learning to write poems or lyrics? Thanks in advanced!
most stuff people write are usually based on real life experiences, or just something fun that you thought of.

write down some of your epic life experiences, and see if you can pick out a song from it.

and with poetry it dosent have to be 'deep' it just has to rhyme, but remember the best songs are based on random thoughts or RL XP
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Quote by ozy!d!ot
most stuff people write are usually based on real life experiences, or just something fun that you thought of.

write down some of your epic life experiences, and see if you can pick out a song from it.

and with poetry it dosent have to be 'deep' it just has to rhyme, but remember the best songs are based on random thoughts or RL XP

I don't think this really answered the question. He say's he has inspiration, but not how he can write them down. And Poetry doesn't have to rhyme. Just to point that out.

What I've always said, and will probably always say is this : Anything you write.. is good. Making it memorable or standing out is something different, thats the hard part. What I would do is, write a story about what you want your song to be about. Then read it through. Some lines might stand out.. and you can build on that. But don't worry about cliches, or people saying 'that's lame, heard that a million times', because what lyrics do is tell people what YOU are feeling. Sometimes cliches get straight to the point, and what's more people have heard them and used them before so they know where you're coming from. Go wild and use your imagination! The possibilities are simply endless.

Alternatively, you can also read and listen to other people's lyrics. Analyse them. What are they trying to say and how do they exactly do that. And use that as a starting point to get you flowing with ideas until you can get your own way of writing.

Hope this helps!
Quote by ozy!d!ot

Don't listen to this person.

TS, the simplest way to learn to write good songs is to write what you feel strongly about, post them up on this forum, let people tell you where you're going wrong, write more, post, repeat. That's the quickest way to improve. Oh, and it doesn't have to rhyme.
Quote by michal23
Don't listen to this person.

TS, the simplest way to learn to write good songs is to write what you feel strongly about, post them up on this forum, let people tell you where you're going wrong, write more, post, repeat. That's the quickest way to improve. Oh, and it doesn't have to rhyme.

Kind of true, but I agree with the other guy that topics removed from from your strongest feelings are probably a lot better to write about. You're just begging for sentimental garbage and cliche tripe when a beginner writes about his or her greatest passions. Stories from life and from news papers, other people, etc. really are a better way to start; you'll make progress faster working on those topics than trying to polish up emotion puked up onto the page.

Of course the write more, post, repeat is absolutely essential to quick development.