i have played gutair for two years and i cant play Even one song!!
Yes i have tried smoke on the water and a lot of other songs but i never can what gives
have you gotten private lessons?? it helps.. ALOT!
i've got a boner for murder
You aren't trying hard enough. Practice more, chords, finger exercises etc.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
okay first i cant afford a teacher
(we live in the country and i am homeschooled

and no i am good at playing things i make up

i am very good at that but if i dont make it i cant play it
i can switch chords and i play every day for hours

(there is nothing else to do)
so it cant be me not trying

i do need help my parents are geting made about me trying smoke on the water for the millionth time

and if you dont belive about being good here

a5\a7 a8 a7 a5 a a5\a7 a8 a7 a5
Quote by kentl
okay first i cant afford a teacher
(we live in the country and i am homeschooled

and no i am good at playing things i make up

i am very good at that but if i dont make it i cant play it
i can switch chords and i play every day for hours

(there is nothing else to do)
so it cant be me not trying

i do need help my parents are geting made about me trying smoke on the water for the millionth time

and if you dont belive about being good here

a5\a7 a8 a7 a5 a a5\a7 a8 a7 a5

yep, troll.
Quote by freak180
have you gotten private lessons?? it helps.. ALOT!

Actually, a teacher had a negative impact on my playing. I've improved more in the year I've been self teaching, than in the year I had a teacher. I find it's easier for me to teach myself my own methods than to learn someone else's.
I tried lessons too, but they sucked ass. Its about focus and discipline. And when you say you've played 2 years, does that mean casually like every few weeks you pick it up or do you actually PLAY everyday. That makes a huge difference dude.
Do you LIKE smoke on the water? If not maybe thats the problem - find a song you WANT to be able to play and try learning that. Listen to the track, break the song down into phrases and start off slow....
Yes, learn lots of songs.
That's applying what you learnt to real life.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
Find a song you like and learn to play it. One of the reasons why I'm not being taught (at the moment) is because music teachers often like their own style of music and will want you to play that. However, self teaching allows you to play whatever you want. The first song I'm learning (all bar chorus) is Muse - Plug in Baby, its a song that I like and that encourages me to play more.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
well if you want to be able to play songs go out and learn some songs. You can't give up when the song gets tough. You gotta sit down and put in the time to learn it. There is no easy button man.
Well what is your main problem with learning songs? Pick one song that you like (and one which is easy to learn).

Some suggestions:

Smells Like Teen Spirit
Sunshine Of Your Love (without solo)
Enter Sandman
Reptilia
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Guitars:

Schecter Omen 6
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Granada F1/65

Amp:

Ibanez Toneblaster 15R
Also keep your practice schedule regular. Like instead of practice 7 hours one day a week practice 1 hour everyday.
Make a mixture of different lessons such as scales, harmonix, etc. helps alot.
I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Actually, a teacher had a negative impact on my playing. I've improved more in the year I've been self teaching, than in the year I had a teacher. I find it's easier for me to teach myself my own methods than to learn someone else's.

well i got private lessons froman expensive school. 100 bucks a month and i got a teacher straight fromm spain. and probably hell too. this guy taught me everything quick. in two months i could shred like a mother****er. then i got lessons online from guitarmasterclass.com which you have to pay too. so yeah..
i've got a boner for murder
I felt the same way. Still do sometimes when I compare my skill level to Buckethead although I wonder if I really want to play like that. Anyway...

Like everyone else said, Find a simple song you like and learn that. Personally I started with Planet Claire, Back In Black, Iron Man and Blitzkrieg Bop although I'm not saying you should start with those.

And try Drop D tuning for a while.
drop tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinsk8r91
practice young padawan and your fingers strong they will one day be, HMMMmmm.

this
Well I need help too. I can play few songs but when I`m plaing sound comming out of my guitar is werid. It sounds quite good but somethings wrong with it. I thought that problem was with the guitar but my friend played on it and his solos sound much better.It sound like I`ve been struggling to much but when I tried to play slower and more fluent it sounds the same. Any advices ??(Sorry for my english).
^It's mostly practice.
To the TS - you have to figure out where the problems are. So you can't play Smoke on the Water. Look into it deeper. Why can't you play Smoke on the water. Is there a specific point where you always mess up? If so, take that little fragment and give it a bunch of practice by itself. If you go really slow, can you play it, but not when you're going fast? If so, give it more slow practice (with a metronome by the way), and increase the speed more gradually.
Regarding your parents - yeah, you've got to be thoughtful of the people around you. I left home a long time ago, but I've got my wife and kids to think of. It wouldn't be good if my 6 year old was up half the night with school the next morning due to me playing guitar half the night. So I'll play unplugged or with headphones when I think my playing would bother people too much.
Yes, you do suck. But its good that you realize this and are hopefully taking steps to change this, such as practicing more than the half hour a week that you probably do now.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Record yourself attempting it, upload it and link us to it, then we can give you constructive crit and help you out. Here, we dont know if its the bar chords, single note version of th esong, whether your missing the frets or juwst pressure, etc.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Some people just arent musically inclined. Or theyre more inclined to piano or trumpet or percussion or something.
I think you must have some physiological disability to practice something hours a day for 2 years and not be able to perform it at a basic level.
i think you must find good lessons to learn guitar... I promote to you to join jamorama lesson.. Its the best way to learn guitar.....
***No Advertising***
Well, how old are you, music can be difficult to grasp if your very young. You need to ask yourself if you really like playing music and get some lessons if you are struggling with the basics.
Last edited by shoottheofficer at Dec 14, 2009,