Whats the best way to become fast at learning music? Should I slave and learn to read sheet music or just learn as many good tabs as I can and hope that I get faster at learning songs. Or should I focus on ear training and if so how? What works for you?
In the beginning, tab. As your ear gets better, learning to play by ear and recognizing intervals makes downloading tab seem too much of a hassle. Learning to read music is a great skill, but I would say it is more important to understand music theory over just simply being able to read it. Learning to read music is a valuable skill in its own right. For example, if you need to play a piece of music you had never heard before, you can do so with sheet music, but tab doesn't indicate timing. That question is debatable though, and subject to opinion. Some would say you absolutely need to work on reading sheet music simultaneously as you learn guitar. Tab is really not something you learn; other than looking up some of the symbols, its fairly straightforward.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

technique technique technique. to become fast it all starts learning slow, learning 500 songs wont do you any good if theyre all strumming, yes its epic you know that much. but if i asked you to do a tremolo picking thing, can you do it?

once you have your basics down, chords, barre chords, power chords. start learning theory, then ask us back here for songs that relate to theory. ZeG's ultimate guide to guitar is very useful for both beginners and intermediates

remember, guitar playing is not a race, its meant to be fun, so enjoy it!
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
^ That's a good point too, I overlooked that.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by ozy!d!ot
learning 500 songs wont do you any good if theyre all strumming,

I am sick of strumming. I am moving towards chord soloing and the stuff that Phil Keaggy does with loopers. So I would be learning that type of stuff. Thanks for the encouraging words though.
A thing I also found (and still find) useful, is watching other guitarists playing.

Sometimes you can be trying to play a TAB chord sequence that either seems difficult fingering, or doesn't sound 'right', until you realise that it's being played further up the neck, possibly with the use of a capo, or easier changing chord shapes.

Dave the Rave - "You can't sack me! - I'm Sack-less!"

Yamaha FGX412
Takamine CEB
Roland Cube
Korg Tuner CA-30
Couple of 1960's Echo Super Vampers mouth harps.
(. . . plus a cheap Rogue black Dread'nt 6 String and a black Mandolin in USA)