I accidently locked myself out of my apartment yesterday and had to break open the door, and a little piece of wood on the side is cracked, as well as the little metal piece on the side
does anyone know how to repair it myself, and about how much it would cost?
do I have to replace the entire door frame? can I glue the cracked piece back on, and just replace the metal?
you probably just should have called your super.

flip the door over and rehinge it on the other side. that's the only option i see possible.
and fuck the door frame, as long as it closes don't worry about it.
███████████████████████████████████
Hit it with a hammer?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Replace it...Just gluing it will make the door too weak for it's security purpose.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by tona_107
you probably just should have called your super.

flip the door over and rehinge it on the other side. that's the only option i see possible.
and fuck the door frame, as long as it closes don't worry about it.

if by super you mean the landlord or something, there are no emergency keys for any of the apartmens, and the emergency lock-picking services ALWAYS want to be payed in cash right away, and cost about 150 euros for 5 seconds of work of picking the lock.

I'm going to have to fix the frame eventually, but I just need it to be able to close and lock right.
you could have used an old credit card to unlock it.

or broken a window.

geez.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by faint_spirit
you could have used an old credit card to unlock it.

or broken a window.

geez.

no i couldn't, and how would a broken window have been any better?

EDIT: especially since I live on the 3rd floor.
You can cut a piece of wood about two feet long and the same width as the door frame. Cut the frame out, put your patch piece in, and rout a new hole for the lock. If ya got da skillz n tools...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by CoreysMonster
if by super you mean the landlord or something, there are no emergency keys for any of the apartmens, and the emergency lock-picking services ALWAYS want to be payed in cash right away, and cost about 150 euros for 5 seconds of work of picking the lock.

I'm going to have to fix the frame eventually, but I just need it to be able to close and lock right.

ahh shit bounce man...

as for closing and locking what are you doing for that right now? the only solution i can think of in terms of the door is what i already said, and what that other guy saidfor the frame, you can patch it for a more permanent solution. otherwise, in terms of the frame im not really sure... i could always call my dad one of these days and ask him, however then he'd think i fucekd up my door frame and be pissed. emergency lock picking services sounds fucked ive ever heard of that before....
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 11, 2009,
okay well I got the little metal thing back in, so at least my lock works again, but there's still that piece of wood missing.

it's just a normal kind of plywood, and it was only about a half centimeter thick, so it's more of a cosmetic thing than actual security.

EDIT: ****! AND NOW I SCRATCHED THE ****ING DOOR ITSELF!!

oh well, a little paint job and noone will notic. If I fix the frame myself I could always tell my landlord that someone tried to break in and scratched up the door.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 11, 2009,
here's the door now, the lock is back in and working fine, it just this mother****ing piece of super-thin wood that was knocked out

Liberally cover the piece with wood glue; press it tightly or clamp it on. when it dries, sand it where the glue pushed through the crack. use wood filler putty as needed,`repaint, good as new
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Quote by millerdrr
Liberally cover the piece with wood glue; press it tightly or clamp it on. when it dries, sand it where the glue pushed through the crack. use wood filler putty as needed,`repaint, good as new

I just remembered that my gf's father is a carpenter, and practically built every wall and door in their apartment because he hated the way they were originally built, I'll ask him for help.

as long as the lock is in, the door stays closed. and if someone tries to break in, it would be just as easy without that crappy piece of wood, right?

anyway, thanks everyone for your advice and help

this is why I love UG
Actually, on second thought that looks like a piece of moulding. It's white and looks like its a type of particle wood. You can buy molding like that at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in white, so all you have to do is take the old piece down, and put up the new piece. Costs about $10 for one ten foot piece. You'll have to cut the piece to length and get the angle at the top right, though.

EDIT: Great, he probably has a miter saw.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Last edited by millerdrr at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by millerdrr
Actually, on second thought that looks like a piece of moulding. It's white and looks like its a type of particle wood. You can by molding like that at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in white, so all you have to do is take the old piece down, and put up the new piece. Costs about $10 for one ten foot piece. You'll have to cut the piece to length and get the angle at the top right, though.

so I really did just save over 100 euros by breaking the door slightly? awesome
Well, yeah, you pretty much did! Sweet, ain't it!

Molding: $15
Gas to store: $4
Hammer: $7
Nails: $3
Saw: $20
Miter Box: $8
Tape Measure: $5

Having a friend who already has all that and can do the work for you......Priceless
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Quote by millerdrr
Well, yeah, you pretty much did! Sweet, ain't it!

Molding: $15
Gas to store: $4
Hammer: $7
Nails: $3
Saw: $20
Miter Box: $8
Tape Measure: $5

Having a friend who already has all that and can do the work for you......Priceless

then I shall continue to live by my philosphy, "when obstacles block your way, plow through them and worry about them later"

EDIT: I was really worried, because I was reading in german forums about the consequences of breaking open apartment doors, everyone was saying that I would have to replace the entire door PLUS frame, that if I didn't I would get sued and so on.
But I couldn't believe that, because it's only 20 cm of freaking plywood, why would I have to replace the entire ****ing door and frame because of that?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 11, 2009,