I'm looking for a reason and a solution. I've always had a problem with dull sounding E strings... Always. for example all the other strings might sound as if you said bummmm. but the E string is kinda more like buwwwwww. If you catch my drift at all. try saying it out loud. anyways. Now that I have some cabs I love I'm looking for a solution to this problem. It happens with all my basses. Doesn't matter if I'm playing at home or elsewhere. No matter how I eq them. It seems to get worse on the 5th fret and above until I get near the 12th. then it seems ok again.It really annoys me. Maybe I should get a heavier or lighter gauge string on just the E string? All the other strings sound great. just not the E string.

So. in short. do you think that, in order to keep a uniform sound, I should run a lighter gauge E string that would be less taught or a higher gauge E string that would be tighter than average? I'm leaning toward heavy gauge being the solution. or maybe I'm missing something.

I've already checked out things like pickup/string height btw. And it does do it with new and old strings. DR's Rotosounds, and some other small brand I used to use for a while because they were cheap. something like USA strings or something.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
are you holding the string down hard enough when you play? lol stupid answer but it happens. from your bummmmmmm and buwwwwwwww thats what it sounds like to me

ESP WA-600 - Ibanez RG350DX - Fender 60th Anniversary Strat

JSX 212 Combo - Peavey Vypyr 30

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
This can depend on your technique. Try plucking it more aggressively. Additionally, if you play closer to the bridge with just the bridge pickup on you should eliminate this problem. If not, you could try raising the E string side of your pickups a bit. Also, you may have been winding your strings wrong and not even realize it. Make sure where the string comes off the tuning peg it's below the wound string, not above it.

This can probably be fixed with different gauges. However I've only ever used .105 so I can't really comment on that.

However more than likely since it's been happening on every bass, it's most likely a technique problem. Still hard to say though..
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
i think that happens to most E strings, as it gets played the most, it dies out quicker. and cos of the thickness of the E string it has that tendency to loose the higher frequencies. i always find the E string too dull.
Brand new roto 66's on it. I play with an aggressive style most of the time(aggressive enough that I often have problems with the string hitting the frets) and play some stuff right next to the bridge and some stuff over the pickups depending on the tone I'm going for. I've tried all heights for the pickup. All the way down and all the way up before my string hits the pickup when I'm playing and many positions in between. I will say it's most prominent on my schecter but it's definitely there on all my basses.

I will be buying a new bass soon anyway as the truss rod crapped out on my schecter. Maybe I'll get lucky and won't have the problem on a more expensive bass...but i doubt it.

BTW. by crapped out I mean that the nut turns really really easily and when i play without an amp I can hear something rattling inside the neck. I imagine it's the truss rod. It still seems to adjust the neck though, which is odd. But I do have to adjust it more often since when it vibrates it can turn the nut. So now it's a new setup with every set of strings. even if they're the same brand and gauge. Even if I could deal with this annoyance I can't imagine it'll last much longer.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu