I have recently stumbled onto this amp and have decided that i want to pick one up. I have found both a head and a 112 combo version. Are there any major differences between the two or is one known to have slightly better tone? If there are no differences at all i was going to pick up the combo but thought id ask first. thanks!
I've played both and didn''t notice a whole lot of difference other than the standard differences between a head and a combo (tube rattling, poor speaker isolation etc.) if you can afford a decent cab I would get the head.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah, I'd go head, you have more choice as to what cab you put on, and you don't screw with your tubes through tube rattling.
Also full stacks look ****ing sexy.

Edit:

*sings*
You don't get laid with combos, you don't get laid with combos
=D
Yeahh... My ****ty attempt at a simpsons reference. **** YOU.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Mar 11, 2009,
Go for the head and a good 2x12. Everyone here says good things about Avatar cabs, I personally like the Mesa ones.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Go for the head and a good 2x12. Everyone here says good things about Avatar cabs, I personally like the Mesa ones.

i think the above jingle corresponds to a good 'ole 4x12 cab like a 1960, or a nice oversized mesa 4x12. and the F SERIES IS AWESOME!
Get the head. I eventually would like to get my combo converted to a head. But I gotta think about it....my combo has teh s3xy br0wn t0l3x....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Get the head. I eventually would like to get my combo converted to a head. But I gotta think about it....my combo has teh s3xy br0wn t0l3x....

keep your sexy brown f-50, buy the head, and then when you don't feel like carrying around a half stack anymore, use the combo! i'm trading in my f-30 for an ampeg 810 this weekend, but as soon as i get a new job a new f series amp is at the top of my list.

addendum:
if you have the opportunity for the f-100 head, go for that, because it has a 50 watt switch anyway, and the volume difference isn't too much...
Last edited by SlappyMcLardfat at Mar 11, 2009,