I went to Matthews timber in Vermont today to check out some possible wood for my next build.
On their website it says they have these woods-
Australian Timbers: Victorian Ash, Tasmanian Oak, Radiata Pine, Tasmanian Blackwood, Blackbean, Blackbutt, Qld Maple, Red Tulip Oak, Silky Oak, Silver Ash, Brushbox, Jarrah, Redgum, Sydney Bluegum, Celery Top Pine, Ironbark, Karri, Marri, Forest Reds, Myrtle, Spotted Gum & Arakaria

Imported Timbers: Anegre, European & American White Ash, Baltic Pine, European Beech, New Zealand Beech, Bubinga, Pencil, Surian & Western Red Cedar, European & American Cherry, Danta, Ebony, Gerrongang, Iroko, Jelutong, Kauri, Koto, Kwila, Indian Laurel, African, Eastern, Fijian & Utile Mahogany, Makore, US Maple, Merbau, Southern Myrtle, US Oak, Padouk, New Guinea Rosewood, Sepiter, Sitka Spruce, Sugar Pine, Sycamore, Teak & European & US Walnut.

They also have a ****load of wenge, which is mainly what i was interested in, as I'll probably be using that for the main part a build that will be occurring in the near future (month or two).
the wenge is about $150 for a piece big enough for a 1 piece solid body
They also have ebony, in square lengths, which they said was fairly expensive.
The have a lot of Fijian Mahogany, some US ash, a fair bit of US maple and a fair bit of US walnut.

Unfortunately, when i asked about QLD maple, they said that they dont get it often as its only available in small quantities, and then it goes pretty quick.
They also dont have any padouk, which is really rare.

The have a lot of Tas blackwood, which is apparently good for guitars.

so, if you wanna go there and pick up some lumber, just thought id drop some knowledge on y'all, in case you couldnt find wood.
also i may be able to get some wood and mail it to you if we can figure out payment, etc
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

Damn, if I wasn't out of money that'd be pretty cool, a guitar built of Australian wood would be pretty cool.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I might take you up on the offer for the mailing because emerald is just too far away for me, how much would a piece of wenge big enough for a solid P-bass body cost? And we need to work out payment if we go through with this.

-Just got the all clear to start my bass build
thats good as!
i cant wait till i have enough money to start my build
well, how long/wide is a p-bass?
i can figure out the price for you, and i can ak lp addict how he gets paid
lol
XD
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

Just looking at it i'd say 50 cm tall 40cm wide. But it'd end up being like a 60x60 piece of wood or something so you can have a margain of error.

And wenge wrecks tools so you'd want extra wood just in case.
Quote by Bass First
Just looking at it i'd say 50 cm tall 40cm wide. But it'd end up being like a 60x60 piece of wood or something so you can have a margain of error.

And wenge wrecks tools so you'd want extra wood just in case.

cool
ill find out how much that is and ill PM you

Quote by guitarcam123
im pretty sure LP Addict both uses paypal and doesn't or rarely visits UG anymore..

kthx
XD
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

Ok thanks, pretty lucky that there was wenge there

Is it in good quality? as in, no knots etc?
yeah its really good
well i looked at tonnes of it and there was none.
but there is so much of it that if theres one bit with a know, it would be piss easy to get another without
:P
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

But it's so far awayyy @_@

EDIT: actually, vermont is near blackburn right? So i could take a bus or something down springvale road and the swap to canterbury?
Last edited by Bass First at Mar 13, 2009,
you know wenge is really hard on your tools right? Are you using it for the body or the neck? If you using it for the body your gunna want to hollow it out a fair bit. Its heavy as sh*t. As for the neck, its definitely not going to be one of the easiest necks your going to carve...
It does however have a nice balanced tone and lots of sustain...
Out of curiosity, what to woods like Ash and Maple from the US cost over there per b/f?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Bass First
But it's so far awayyy @_@

EDIT: actually, vermont is near blackburn right? So i could take a bus or something down springvale road and the swap to canterbury?

if you get on the train and get off at Mitcham station, you catch the 738 bus to knox, and then get off right outside it. its right near the rooks road/beech street intersection
XD

Quote by guitarcam123
you know wenge is really hard on your tools right? Are you using it for the body or the neck? If you using it for the body your gunna want to hollow it out a fair bit. Its heavy as sh*t. As for the neck, its definitely not going to be one of the easiest necks your going to carve...

yes i do know, but i dont have many tools, so ill be doing a lot of it at school.
I'm going to use it as a semi hollow body with a figured queensland maple top, so that should solve the weight problem.
for my build im going to buy a premade neck, maybe ill make one one day though.

Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
Out of curiosity, what to woods like Ash and Maple from the US cost over there per b/f?

how wide is a board?
Quote by TunerAddict

Australians only.

Quote by Rebelw/outaCord

my place? 5-10 depending on what im getting.

quilted maple top, 3/4" -$ 45
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by guitarcam123

I'll buy the neck because i honestly don't want to screw it up and wenge is okay for weight because i play bass.