I've been playing guitar for about 3-4 years now, and have been teaching myself for 99% of the time, but since i started, i soon got slack without realising, and knew i had to improve, as most my mates are now kicking arse at it.

Improvisation (Speed, strength, accuracy, etc.) is the main part i wanna get better at, and so i wanna ask if anyone can post some good songs to learn for a progressing guitarist - not incredibly difficult, but not easy crap, or something that isn't that challenging. Even good warm up exercises.

I'm willing to try learn from any genre, as i want to be as open minded as possible, so any help will be appriciated

Cheers

Edit: when i say i wanna get better at improv, thats not the only thing i wanna get better at, and plus, learning other songs helps with accuracy, speed, and strength, which eventually helps improv anyway.
Last edited by Dire straits at Mar 11, 2009,
Nice name and avatar TS, Romeo and Juliet came on just as I refreshed The Pit ^^

Try Sultans Of Swing.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
At The Drive-In have quite a few good little melodic pieces, and plenty of interesting chord shapes. Try:

One-Armed Scissor
Pattern Against User
Catacombs
Chanbara
Starslight
133Hz
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Echo Etude - Malmsteen
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, you show her common sense. You show her your common sense hard. You shove your common sense down her throat. She's a naughty little thing and you need to beat some common sense all over her face.

^In regards to incest
Fuel - Metallica
Slow Dancing In A Burning Room - John Mayer
Dirge For November - Opeth
Train - 3 Doors Down

these aren't particularly hard all the way through. for fuel and dirge for november, the hardest thing about them is tempo
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Also, if you want a bit of a challenge, try out Neon by John Mayer.

....and you might want to youtube how to play it after you've spent half an hour staring at the tab and thinking ".............wat?"
lmao, thanks man (Naked in the Rain)

and that is pretty cool, i know it sounds pretty lame to ask, but what TS mean (Zero-Hartman)

btw thanks everyone for helping out so far with everything, it looks like some good songs so far.
Quote by Dire straits
lmao, thanks man (Naked in the Rain)

and that is pretty cool, i know it sounds pretty lame to ask, but what TS mean (Zero-Hartman)

btw thanks everyone for helping out so far with everything, it looks like some good songs so far.

Thread Starter, e.g you

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
abit late by i am in the a similar enough boat, have been getting lessons but also looks at other songs myself.
one i really enjoy is
neil youngs - cinnamon girl
contains the best solo ever because of it's simplicity
im not sure how good is "intermediate"
what's the hardes song you can play so far?
Quote by adyhendrixc
The Beatles - Blackbird

Can't hurt to learn finger picking.

Thanks man, i love beatles, but i didn't think of that one

and i dno how you'd explain my level, because i can't name the hardest song i can play, whats hard to you might not be to me, unless you're talking expert level

i can play the main picking and strumming part of soul to squeeze by RHCP and sing at the same time, and i don't find that difficult (if that helps)
the darkness- i believe in a thing called love
the darkness-love is only a feeling
led zeppelin-communication breakdown
the yardbirds-goodnight sweet josephine
muse-plug in baby
the beatles-helter skelter
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
I would suggest:
Yellow Ledbetter- Pearl Jam
Instantly recognizable, and highly respected
Rock is like sex. One you play it (have it), you're hooked!
-Clazgar

Turn up, tune in, drop out-Timmothy Leary

Quote by gtmustang2006
The Internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.
How about "Several Shades of Why"? I'ts a good fingerpicking song on J Mascis's solo 2010 album.
Anything by Brain Drill, Odious Mortem, Rings of Saturn, Slaughterbox, or Viraemia.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I think TS has probably progressed since 2009 when he asked this question... How do people even find threads this old to bump?
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children