Do you guys know any scary/creepy basslines? How would you go about making one?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

If you're trying to write them, why not try using locrian scales and diminished chords?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Throw in some chromaticism for good measure too. I find it can sound eeeeeeeerie
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Chromatic and awkward steps
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
using minor 2nds (aka Chaos Chords) and tritones (anything Black Sabbath) will really bring a level depression and creep to your playing. For technique, use off rhythms that go between the drummer's voices and try using anything but fingers or a pick. I use a Timpani mallet (felt-tipped) for a low attack, and high sustain voice.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Massive intervals between notes. The bigger the better, liberal use of the tritone is good.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Song for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Use tritones (flat 5ths). Also, if you're feeling power chordy, do an octave down of the 5th fret, not the root. For example, instead of E being 7,9,9 on the A, D, G strings, play it 7,7,9 on the E, A, D strings.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Play a relatively simple motif, like a 6-12 note pattern that repeats, then move the whole thing up one half step. Also nothing scale-like. Bigger intervals is right.
I find pedals to be the best way to create the "scary" texture in a song, while the other instruments add the notes needed.

If the bass is too busy, it removes the sense of horror, if you ask me. However, semitone movements are good, tritones, bitonality and putting unrelated chords over each other (case in point - Stravinski's Petrushka chords - CEG + F#A#C#).
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
if you hammer on and pull off notes right next to eachother, as in, half step away, it gives the feel of movement. too much though, it isn't creepy. some mild application of that could really help.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
chromaticisms, reverb, jagged stop-start rhythms.

The foundation of all horror music.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.