Page 1 of 4
http://i.gizmodo.com/5166649/stanford-professor-proves-ipods-and-young-people-have-utterly-destroyed-music

unbelievable! how can someone prefer a 128kbps mp3 over anything else? that makes no sense to me...now don't get me wrong, i love the portability of digital files. i also love the warm crackles of vinyl. i just don't understand how someone can prefer a low quality mp3 over any other sound format.

i also realize that this survey is somewhat flawed, but i suppose that it could still spawn some interesting discussion about the merits/flaws of mp3s and their effect on the music industry.
Quote by wamguy89
Seriously... Mp3's are usually such lower quality!!
And aren't they over twice the size of WMA files?
I use Mp3's merely because i'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers or anything related so I just use the easiest thing. I usually just listen to CD's directly though so I don't really count.
when i'm out walkin around and stuff, not when i'm at home. home is mostly vinyl.

and there is such thing as a good quality mp3 guys.
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Mar 11, 2009,
As soon as Apple bring out an overpriced, proprietorysoftware dependant iTurntable, vinyl will be 'cool' again.
Article == cool rant, bro. Why should I care? I don't like shit compression except for its memory space function.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

that article is only slightly biased.

i don't mind mp3s. i use them most often because it is convenient. i wouldn't say i prefer the sound of them though. but most of my music is on my computer and iPod, so i usually listen to mp3s. my iPod connects to my car stereo, so i usually use that instead of individual cds. it is a lot more convenient to have all my music available in my car without having to carry tons of cds with me.

i do use 320 bit mp3s usually. not 128 or whatever the article said people preferred. they sound fine to me, but im not some audio elitist either.
well, it's kind of like how non guitarists generally don't like shred

the general masses of people don't know the difference between cd quality and 128 kps mp3's so they choose the more "portable" and "trendy" option.

plus for the average person, who doesn't know about audio formats...they're all one in the same as far as they're concerned.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
You can get Mp3's at a higher quality. Pretty much everything I download is 320kbs. Also, FLAC files are exceptional in sound quality, only problem is, higher bit rate means bigger file size. Stop bitching about technological advancements in society, if you like cd's (I still use my walkman occasionally) or vinyl or whatever that's fine, listen to whatever the fuc k YOU want to listen to and let everyone else listen to whatever the fuc k THEY want to listen to.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by freedoms_stain
I know, 192 kbs VBR Ogg Vorbis is where it's at.

It's sad that I actually understood that...

Well it's because kids these days are stupid, but that's life, I've got my vinyl collection and I'll be playing those records until the day I die.
I can understand why people listen to them more, but, aside from all the issues of quality, I don't much like them anyway. Only listen to them when I have to really.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
Quote by Arthur Curry
when i'm out walkin around and stuff, not when i'm at home. home is mostly vinyl.

This.

I remember when CD's were replacing tapes, There were a bunch of studies on how you lose sound quality. If it's conviniant (Spelling) go for it. I do like the sound of a good vinyl though. I don't think it makes a difference as long as the listener gets what the artist is trying to convey.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
im 14 and i listen to vynle,8 track tapes and cassets [thanks to my dad whos an old-school metal head ] when im at home but other than that i use mp3's,prefer vynlw though
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Quote by aaciseric
I use Mp3's merely because i'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers or anything related so I just use the easiest thing. I usually just listen to CD's directly though so I don't really count.

i think that could be part of the reason that people prefer 128 mp3/m4a...when you rip a CD in itunes that is the default setting.
Quote by Arthur Curry

and there is such thing as a good quality mp3 guys.

exactly, there is a difference between 128 and anything above that. it isn't like i am saying that everyone should start using FLAC. to be honest, i can't hear much of a difference between an mp3 encoded at 320 and FLAC.

Quote by daytripper75

that article is only slightly biased.

yeah...i know. i thought it was kind of funny because it was so one sided.
hehe, i enjoyed that article. i wish he showed us some of his data, though.
i wonder if some of the hatred for flac came with download speeds, though. i have a feeling that people got impatient waiting for their flac downloads to finish and subconciously picked the mp3, not being able to hear their difference on their crappy ibuds :P
The guy who wrote that article is so melodramatic. Who cares? It's not like we can't listen to high quality music anymore.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by ZanasCross
I still, in all seriousness, prefer the sound of 8-tracks. I loved the cackle of the thing never working properly. Made my day.

When they did work though... they sounded bad ass.

Ya I really miss having an 8 minute song fading out then "ker chunk" fading back in.
Wonderful stuff them 8 tracks. And it was really cool to pull one out and have tape remain inside the player. Hilarious stuff.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Waterboy799
well, it's kind of like how non guitarists generally don't like shred

I see what your saying and it is good analogy, but I am a guitarist and I am not a fan of shred, can I do it personally......no, but i am not impressed.

I think it is what ever moves the person (player or listener) and is more convinent to carry around, just so they can listen to there favorite artist.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Last edited by geeve420 at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by Jackal58
Ya I really miss having an 8 minute song fading out then "ker chunk" fading back in.
Wonderful stuff them 8 tracks. And it was really cool to pull one out and have tape remain inside the player. Hilarious stuff.

My dad's Dakota ate a cassette tape when I was, God, probably 4 years old? It starts sounding like a chipmunk and he goes "AH!" *ejectpunch**ejectpunch**ejectpuch* and out comes the plastic, with a nice black ribbon of despair behind...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

The MP3 is too portable of an audio format to dismiss completely. Even if the sampling isn't to our taste, you have to admit that its portability owns all. Nothing beats the warthm of a vinyl though.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
*Strides in*
*Checks format of files on mp3 player*
*Shuffles out*

But seriously, I prefer the sound of CDs (Although the quality of those is dropping a bit too) but who carries around a portable CD player these days? When I'm at home I stick in my (all shop bought, may I add) CDs in the hi-fi, but the mp3 player is perfect for listening to on the way to school: It may be lower quality, but when you're surrounded by 80 old aged pensioners chatting about yesterday's hailstorm on the bus, plus other ambient noise, you can't really hear the difference.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by SteveHouse
My dad's Dakota ate a cassette tape when I was, God, probably 4 years old? It starts sounding like a chipmunk and he goes "AH!" *ejectpunch**ejectpunch**ejectpuch* and out comes the plastic, with a nice black ribbon of despair behind...

We used to take the 8 tracks that were beyond repair and hang them out the window at 60mph to see how long of a tape ribbon we could get.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by nightraven
FLAC is annoying - you can't use it on anything, it's 3 times the size of a normal audio file, and it sounds exactly the same as 320kbps mp3
However flac can be converted to any other codec without compromising quality, lossy codecs like mp3 cannot.

flac is a true backup of your music, mp3 is like taking a picture of a piece of art with a 0.5MP digital camera at full zoom behind a foggy piece of glass.

mp3 is also patented, so if you use it, somewhere along the line you're paying for the privilege.
Quote by Zida
hehe, i enjoyed that article. i wish he showed us some of his data, though.
i wonder if some of the hatred for flac came with download speeds, though. i have a feeling that people got impatient waiting for their flac downloads to finish and subconciously picked the mp3, not being able to hear their difference on their crappy ibuds :P

Quote by metalblaster
It's kind of simple actually...It's free...

That's why they like it.

i believe that the way that the study was conducted was that the professor simply played a few songs with each song being played at a few different sound qualities. he then asked the students which they preferred. it had nothing to do with download speeds or cost.
Quote by Jackal58
We used to take the 8 tracks that were beyond repair and hang them out the window at 60mph to see how long of a tape ribbon we could get.

Used to?

My dad still has a truck with a "functioning" 8-track player; a couple months ago I was riding to church with him and one died. I hung it out the window and managed to get the longest one I've ever had!
Quote by freedoms_stain
However flac can be converted to any other codec without compromising quality, lossy codecs like mp3 cannot.

flac is a true backup of your music, mp3 is like taking a picture of a piece of art with a 0.5MP digital camera at full zoom behind a foggy piece of glass.

mp3 is also patented, so if you use it, somewhere along the line you're paying for the privilege.

Yeah cause it's THAT bad.

lol, i think most people here just have some mild form of OCD rather than actually HEARING the difference.

I ike some vinyl because:

A. Some music i can't find on cds that our family has on record
B. it's more of an 'event' to get out your record and put it on.
C. the crackly sound is quite pleasant.

People on about the difference in sound quality - are you people bats or something?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by geeve420
I see what your saying and it is good analogy, but I am a guitarist and I am not a fan of shred, can I do it personally......no, but i am not impressed.

I think it is what ever moves the person (player or listener) and is more convinent to carry around, just so they can listen to there favorite artist.

i know

i'm an avid music listener...i utterly love my ipod and always listen to music while i'm on my computer and i don't give a crap about the format of my music. a lot of it is varied from 128 kps to 320 kps mp3's...some of it is even in AAC format for some odd reason.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat

A phonograph the ONLY way to listen to music. I have trouble finding music for it though, I dunno why...
Quote by meh!
People on about the difference in sound quality - are you people bats or something?

Not bats.
I used to only listen to mp3s, but then I got a decent hi-fi system and when I put the CD in there I was like, OMG! What is this sonic orgasm I am hearing? It's a subtle difference, I wouldn't be able to describe it very well, but everything sounds so much more...whole. I can't compare with vinyls, never heard one in my life.

Quote by SMH07
A phonograph the ONLY way to listen to music. I have trouble finding music for it though, I dunno why...

Dude you realise you are like 3 decades ahead of modern technology? Not even the Japanese have managed to get an efficient phonograph working.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by Waterboy799
i know

i'm an avid music listener...i utterly love my ipod and always listen to music while i'm on my computer and i don't give a crap about the format of my music. a lot of it is varied from 128 kps to 320 kps mp3's...some of it is even in AAC format for some odd reason.

Right on, I agree and am in the same boat.

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by meh!

Vinyl records have a "warmth" to them that digital music doesn't. It's because the old records were recorded analog and are continuous signals without sampling or reconstruction in the process.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

Vinyl records have a "warmth" to them that digital music doesn't. It's because the old records were recorded analog and are continuous signals without sampling or reconstruction in the process.

I know how they were recorded, that doesn't change the fact that i don't believe people can actually hear it in their day to day lives. lol
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Page 1 of 4