I'm in search of a new amp around $300 used
My two main choices are the Fender Blues Junior and the Fender Super Champ XD
They are two very different amps and I like the SCXD because of its versatility
but I've heard many good things about the Blues Jr.
The Fender SCXD is around 275 to 300 on eBay
while I've seen Blues Jr.'s sell for 350 - 400
I'm just a beginner thats been learning for under a year so I don't have tons of cash to spend on an amp and my thinking is the cheaper the better.
Is the Blues Jr. worth the extra 50 to 100?
Also what are the pros and cons of either or both.
How do they compare in sound as amps. I like blues rock and some classic rock
thanks
The Super Champ XD is a modeling amp, still tube, still great tone, just with a few effects and models built in. However, since your styles are PERFECTLY suited for the Blues Jr. I would probably go for it. IMO the Super Champ XD does a great job of EMULATING the Fender sound, and the Blues Jr. has it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I would be inclined to say the Blues Jr. It has a larger speaker, which is a big plus right off the bat. And you will have a great platform for adding pedals. I have a Pro Jr and it's a great amp, but Blues Jr is better.
I played both of these before buying my Super Champ. The advantages of the Super Champ are versatility, sounds better at low volumes and built-in effects. The advantage of the Blues Jr. is the tone is better, not tons better, the SC has some sweet tones, but the BJr. is really nice for older rock, blues and cleans. The BJ has to be pretty loud to get the really nice dirty sound, where the SC can be much quieter and still sound fairly nice.
This decision was made easier for me, as the SC is just a practice amp, I play a Marshall tube for my main amp to get the nicest tones. Try them both out, only you can decide which is best for your needs.
I should add that the Blues Junior takes pedals extraordinarily well. A good OD or distortion can sound pretty amazing on a BJ, plus, it has been cleans that amps five times its price.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
I was stuck between the same two amps. I tested them both at Guitar Center. Although I really like the Super Champ, the Blues Junior is the best "small" amp I've ever played tone-wise. At my Guitar Center, the guy quoted me $280 for the Super Champ and $375 for the Blue Jr. The Super Champ is cheaper but I think the extra $95 maybe worth it--for me.
The blues jr only has one sound, but that one sound is very good IMO. I love my blues jr and probably won't ever get rid of it. That being said, I have modified the circuit a bit and I re amp it so I have it cranked at all times. It's not to say it sounds bad at low volumes, it just really shines when you're getting some break up out of the thing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Chetbango
I played both of these before buying my Super Champ. The advantages of the Super Champ are versatility, sounds better at low volumes and built-in effects. The advantage of the Blues Jr. is the tone is better, not tons better, the SC has some sweet tones, but the BJr. is really nice for older rock, blues and cleans. The BJ has to be pretty loud to get the really nice dirty sound, where the SC can be much quieter and still sound fairly nice.
This decision was made easier for me, as the SC is just a practice amp, I play a Marshall tube for my main amp to get the nicest tones. Try them both out, only you can decide which is best for your needs.

Oh yeah, couple more things. The Blues Junior is probably louder for playing with a band. Also the Blues Junior should take pedals really well, where the SC with clip like crazy if you try to boost the signal too much, although it takes most pedal just fine.
i am most definitely going to be playing in my bedroom for a long time because I'm not any good yet. So being able to play at low volumes is an absolute must for me.
I also have a Boss Super OD pedal that I never use because it does not work well at all with my SS amp which is a Kustom Dart '66 If any one wants it I am willing to sell.
But the sound with the SS amp is very muddy and it just kills the sound.

I am leaning towards the SCXD how does it take pedals specifically the Boss Super OverDrive pedal and probably the Danelectro FAB distortion pedal which I am planning on purchasing.
I'd vote for the super champ. I've owned both and while the blues jr is a great amp, for a beginner who has yet to relly leanr about the different amp sounds, I'd say the superchamp is going to give you room to experience without breaking the bank. The clean room on the superchamp is better as well, its just as loud as the blues jr. People forget th superchamp does have a 15 wat power tube amp so it gets just as loud as the blues junior

People like to diss solid state and say all tube is better, but then they slap a solid state pedal infront of it? I've gone through 2 blues juniors and I keep coming back to the superchamp

Another reason I like the Superchamp is it is very easy to add a effects loop, this allows you more versality with pedal and allows you to use the power tube section with other modeling pedals like a pod, turning the superchamp into a very nice alternative to an atomic.

Don't let the 10 inch speaker worry you, because as you get better you can always add an extension cabinet. With a 2x12 my superchamp sits very well in our band mix.

Don't get me wrong, the blues jr is nice, but the superchamp is much more versatile and if you only have one good amp, is gonna get you excited to play
Quote by SolKanar77
i am most definitely going to be playing in my bedroom for a long time because I'm not any good yet. So being able to play at low volumes is an absolute must for me.
I also have a Boss Super OD pedal that I never use because it does not work well at all with my SS amp which is a Kustom Dart '66 If any one wants it I am willing to sell.
But the sound with the SS amp is very muddy and it just kills the sound.

I am leaning towards the SCXD how does it take pedals specifically the Boss Super OverDrive pedal and probably the Danelectro FAB distortion pedal which I am planning on purchasing.

It takes these type of pedals quite well in channel 1 or some of the cleaner channels. Just make sure you don't set the level too high (like you would in a tubed pre-amp amplifier) as it will just make the IC preamp in the SC XC clip. They work fine in the amp, there is just not a great need for them, as it has plenty of OD and distorted voices. To be honest, because the SC XC has an IC preamp with tube power circuit, it sounds much like a full tube amp with a pedal in front of it as it is.

Although it would work fine for getting used to the pedals, and you could probably find some sweet tones with them, play with the gain and tone settings, just don't boost the signal too much with the level setting.
Quote by bluekanoodle
I'd vote for the super champ. I've owned both and while the blues jr is a great amp, for a beginner who has yet to relly leanr about the different amp sounds, I'd say the superchamp is going to give you room to experience without breaking the bank. The clean room on the superchamp is better as well, its just as loud as the blues jr. People forget th superchamp does have a 15 wat power tube amp so it gets just as loud as the blues junior

People like to diss solid state and say all tube is better, but then they slap a solid state pedal infront of it? I've gone through 2 blues juniors and I keep coming back to the superchamp

Another reason I like the Superchamp is it is very easy to add a effects loop, this allows you more versality with pedal and allows you to use the power tube section with other modeling pedals like a pod, turning the superchamp into a very nice alternative to an atomic.

Don't let the 10 inch speaker worry you, because as you get better you can always add an extension cabinet. With a 2x12 my superchamp sits very well in our band mix.

Don't get me wrong, the blues jr is nice, but the superchamp is much more versatile and if you only have one good amp, is gonna get you excited to play

This is all very similar to my experience. I dig playing my SC XC sometimes as it just has so many sweet sounding voices. Not that they are the "holy grail" sound of a real 1960 Tweed Bassman playing at cranked volumes, where you can practically feel the electrons boiling off the plates in the tubes, with the 4 x 10" Jensons pushing the air through your body, for example. The only way to get that is with the original stuff. But I'll be damned if sometimes it isn't just fun to switch over the the "Tweed Bassman" voice and get a really pleasing sounding approximation of the real thing. Same goes for a couple of the blackface voices, the Hot rod and clean channels.

My main rig is a 50w Marshall 1987 played through a 4x12 Marshall cab with "classic 25" greenbacks. The "early high-gain British stack" voice on the Super Champ XC sounds very familiar and a decent sounding alternative to the real thing, it is surprisingly responsive and dynamic. Although it does only have a 10 inch speaker, so it isn't as "big" a sound as the real deal.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't replace all those amps it tries to emulates, but for the price, it sure is a nice little amp to mess around with those sounds. It definitely inspires me to play.

Some people swear by replacing the speaker with a Eminence Rajin' Cajun. I haven't bothered, as stock works fine for my needs, but it makes it louder and cleaner.

Here is a huge thread about this amp on the fender forum.

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=648268
okay i see a really great deal on a Blues Junior on eBay, it's going for under $350 used
i need to know if it sounds decent at low volumes. and what is it best suited for in terms of genres. I like classic rock and blues rock.
Help Quick, the bidding ends soon.
Buy it, it's so awesome! You can play at low volumes and it will sounds decent, but when you turn it up, slap a TS9 on it and you will be amazed.

Does classic rock and blues (obviously) great, I'm into more heavy rock like QOTSA, it can do a lot.
Last edited by Flann at Mar 12, 2009,
nice, i like the enthusiasm i'm going to try and win it if i can
its going for under $350 but on ebay it usually sells for around 400-500 used
so i'm going to be really lucky if i win