yeah so i pretty much know nothing about pedals, but anyway i was wondering what a boss ds-1 can do. im really tight on money and its pretty much all i can afford. can it make sounds like metallica or pantera?
i just put a clip of my modded one on my profile, im well happy

go for it if youre handy with a soldering iron
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
have you read the reviews on this site about it? they can be helpful.

basically, it is a straight up distortion pedal. It will add a switchable amount of gain to your guitar signal, just as though your amp has reached a high (or low) amount of overdrive.
the DS-1 isn't really a genre specific pedal. It's just a basic clipping circuit with a very generic sound. I don't think it will do metal too well, it's a bit too thin sounding.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Mmmmmm.... not really. Not that you can't get a sound suitable for Metallica, but you won't sound like the album. Also it depends quite a bit on your amp and your guitar. It has perfectly average metal tones, but that's really not where it shines.
I personally love the ds-1. I dont like metal though. and don't know what you like. Check Smells like teen spirit by nirvana or justboy by biffy clyro- there both brilliant distortions from the ds-1 (or is nirvanas the ds2?)
all right
i have a crappy 15 watt amp(the brand name doesn't have its own website)
i dont need to switch from clean to distortion mid-song, so if i use this pedal with my amp od on, do yall think it will sound more metal?
Quote by herrotim
all right
i have a crappy 15 watt amp(the brand name doesn't have its own website)
i dont need to switch from clean to distortion mid-song, so if i use this pedal with my amp od on, do yall think it will sound more metal?

Possibly, or just more feedback. also you may not now, but at some point you would want to change between clean and driven mid song, kind of an inevitability. Check out the ehx metal muff? they do a micro version aswell now. but tbh unless you get it modded the ds-1 probably wont be the pedal you want it to be.
Quote by The 7.18
I personally love the ds-1. I dont like metal though. and don't know what you like. Check Smells like teen spirit by nirvana or justboy by biffy clyro- there both brilliant distortions from the ds-1 (or is nirvanas the ds2?)

i think it's a DS-1 on smells like teen spirit, however, it's an older version, and they've made many changes to the DS-1 since (changes for the worse, i think), but not the DS-2, so you'll actually get closer to the tone with a DS-2 if you buy brand new.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by herrotim
all right. what about the ibanez ds7

Try the Ibanez SM7. Sooooo much freakin gain and you can probably get more distortion with it..also has a void switch that acts as a noise gate. Also, has a low-high EQ setting.

The SM7 is $10 more than the DS7 new on MusiciansFriend. Set edge to Sharp, void on 2, Gain cranked up, Low pushed up, high at 12 o'clock and volume wherever you want. The thing has got pretty decent distortion.
I think there is a DS-1 thread somwhere...
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.