what are song good prewired pickup set options for the pink floyd sound. they're only $135 for the prewired set so i dont think you can beat that. i saw on youtube a guy had the vintage setup while playing shine on, sounded pretty good. i just wanted to get some opionions about the gfs's.

thanks,
-joe cerillo
Quote by joecerillo
what are song good prewired pickup set options for the pink floyd sound. they're only $135 for the prewired set so i dont think you can beat that. i saw on youtube a guy had the vintage setup while playing shine on, sounded pretty good. i just wanted to get some opionions about the gfs's.

thanks,
-joe cerillo

Do you want to sound like David Gilmour? He uses an EMG set that comes pre-wired, I tihnk. Check out EMG's website.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
Do you want to sound like David Gilmour? He uses an EMG set that comes pre-wired, I tihnk. Check out EMG's website.

he does have that, but he used it for a very short period of time, also its around $350. i can get a handmade one for 130, id like to at least try it out.
^GFS pickups are no more hand made than the stock squire pickups. Sure hands have to touch the pickups during the process of assibly but when people talk about hand made, GFS doesn't qualify.

GFS are OK but not what I'd call good. If cheap is important to you look at tonerider. If quality is important then you need to either go with EMG (to match his EMG years) or go with 1959style pickups. Fender custom shop does a 54 set that is actually a 59 set (54's had alnico 3 magnets) and most boutique winders, including myself, make 59 style pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^GFS pickups are no more hand made than the stock squire pickups. Sure hands have to touch the pickups during the process of assibly but when people talk about hand made, GFS doesn't qualify.

GFS are OK but not what I'd call good. If cheap is important to you look at tonerider. If quality is important then you need to either go with EMG (to match his EMG years) or go with 1959style pickups. Fender custom shop does a 54 set that is actually a 59 set (54's had alnico 3 magnets) and most boutique winders, including myself, make 59 style pickups.

No, they sell hand wired prewired PG's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^Any prewired pick guard is hand wired. It doesn't matter if it's a squire or a MIA Fender, they are all done by hand. The GFS idea of hand made pickups is that some persons hands touched the pickup when it was being made. Some parts of guitar making require a human touch. Hand made is when you do the stuff by hand that doesn't have to be done that way. GFS does anything that can be done by machine with a machine.
I would have thought that the cheap ones were machine wired.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

Using a machine would be way too complicated, it's such a simple task to do by hand.

I would tell anyone considering buying a prewired pickguard to just buy the parts and do it themselves
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by oneblackened

They use a CNC machine to wind the pickups but installing lead wires and wiring the pickups into a pickgaurd is something that would take a custom made machine that was very complex and expensive. Pickup manufacturers simply don't move enough product to pay for one especially when chines labor is so cheap.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^Any prewired pick guard is hand wired. It doesn't matter if it's a squire or a MIA Fender, they are all done by hand. The GFS idea of hand made pickups is that some persons hands touched the pickup when it was being made. Some parts of guitar making require a human touch. Hand made is when you do the stuff by hand that doesn't have to be done that way. GFS does anything that can be done by machine with a machine.
No. Read the AD, ffs.

While our Pre-Wired pickguards are a tremendous value for the money, many of you have requested a custom wired rig.

Finally our GFS USA Custom shop is open. We'll hand wire any pickguard you choose with any pickup set you choose.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/hawipi.html

All they are saying is it doesn't come off the shelf.
You choose what you want. They put it together.

Calling that "hand wired" is a bit misleading, but they are NOT saying the pickups are hand made in that advert.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by GravyFish

not entirely true. the emg set was based on his late 80's/early 90's setup and is based mostly on his live guitar, not any studio one he uses (although he did use this on parts of momentary lapse of reason/division bell but those arent real pink floyd albums - neither is the wall). it will not give you the "pink floyd" sound of gilmour's tone. it will only give you the electronics on his live strat. here's some good reading regarding the emgs http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=68 (the 2nd to last paragraph on that page should explain exactly why he used the emgs)

Quote by joecerillo

thanks,
-joe cerillo

first joe i'd recommend proofreading. i would have said spell check but that only works when what you misspell isn't already another word. anyway a little consideration here needs to be taken in regard to gilmour's setup. you like the shine on tone right? well think for a second what might've been available for pickups back in the early 70's. not too much selection really. from the gilmourish site it states he used the black strat which at the time was wired with Fender neck and middle pickups dated 1971 (installed the whole pickguard assembly from a ‘71 bullet truss rod Strat in June 1973) and a Seymour Duncan custom wound SSL-1 bridge pickup (installed late 1979). note the duncan is installed in 79 so it has very little to do with his wywh setup. also of note is Custom mini-toggle switch on the pickguard for neck/bridge combo. so really any sort of vintage type strat pickup should get you close.

will doing that get you his tone? probably not since gilmour's tone is colored with effects. you want that shine on tone get yourself familiarized with this page http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=17 and the settings page which i'm sure you can find by yourself on that site.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No. Read the AD, ffs.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/hawipi.html

All they are saying is it doesn't come off the shelf.
You choose what you want. They put it together.

Calling that "hand wired" is a bit misleading, but they are NOT saying the pickups are hand made in that advert.

If you read what I said you will see that I did say that GFS does hand wire their pickguards. I simply pointed out that most companies (including the very large ones) hand wire their pickgaurds the same way. What I was questioning is their use of the words "hand made" when talking about the construction of their pickups because the GFS system of production is just as automated as anybody's and more automated than most.

Just because the addvert you linked to doesn't say "hand made" doesn't mean that they don't claim their pickups are hand made in other adds. I typed GFS handmade into google and this is the 1st result that came up.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsnyodestsu.html

It's the GFS website and they do say the pickup is hand made when they are no more hand made than any other major manufacturer and they are not what people think of when they think hand made.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by CorduroyEW
Just because the addvert you linked to doesn't say "hand made" doesn't mean that they don't claim their pickups are hand made in other adds. I typed GFS handmade into google and this is the 1st result that came up.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsnyodestsu.html

It's the GFS website and they do say the pickup is hand made when they are no more hand made than any other major manufacturer and they are not what people think of when they think hand made.
They make the handmade, handwound claim on exactly ONE pickup model. That one. I'm inclined to take them at their word on it.

These are handwound, handmade pickups. Due to the complexities of the bobbins and mounting shell it’s the only way we could do them. ...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.