Hi guys

I'm looking at getting one of these pickups for my epiphone sheraton bridge position. Basically the pups in the sheritan are cheapo sh*t and I want something that cuts through nicely for lead but also sounds great for chords. I'm basically after clarity that packs a nice punch.

I've read some reviews stating that the pickup is weak and wont keep up with stock gibson pups which is worrying coz the other guitarist in my band usually plays a 335 which is quite a beast. I play rock basiclly so i'm looking for a nice clear distorted sound.

If you have any other suggestions of pups that would suit this then please say and i'm not limiting to seymour duncan either.

I play through a fender deluxe limited edition 1x12 with jensen speaker which is allways slightly distorted with a boss super OD and micro amp for extra gain for lead etc.

Thanks for reading

Jon
what type of tone are you after? i don't think the PG is that weak... it's a slightly hotter than vintage style of pickup, it's not going to have metal levels of output, that's the point...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for the help guys.

I'm after a pickup that can basically give me a good screaming lead when run through an extra OD unit but when run with less distortion wont go all muddy. The amp i'm using gives a big sound for a small combo so i'm trying not to get a massively high output humbucker so the tone from the amp can still shine through.

Is the PG what i'm looking for?
Not really - Alnico 2 magnet so not great for "screaming lead" under extra distortion, having said that a semi-hollow isn't great for screamng lead no matter what you put in it.

The 59 is probably a better bet for you...maybe the Custom 5.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 11, 2009,
^ agreed, the alnico II can cause things to mud up a little, even at the best of times. big problem being, i thought most people advised against putting too hot pickups in a semi-hollow...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can go the extra pound, I'd say get Bareknuckle VHII's. If that's too hot for you, then a set of the Mules.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
oh, i didn't notice that you were in the UK. bareknuckles would definitely be worth considering- also bulldog, rockmonkey, swineshead, shed, etc. all of those are handwound by one (or a couple) of guys, and you can email them for advice (which'd be the best thing to do- tell them what your guitar is, and what tones you're after, and ask what they'd recommend). I've only tried swineshead and bareknuckle out of those guys, but they all are highly regarded, as far as I'm aware.

if you want to save a bit of money, tonerider and irongear might be worth considering, too. I haven't tried these either () but am considering them, just to see, on the basis that if they suck, i haven't lost much money, but if they're really nice, they would save me a ton of money, considering how many pickups i'd ideally want to change on my guitars.

duncans are pretty dear in the UK for what you get, if you ask me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 11, 2009,
yeh man i know its kind of weird asking for a screaming lead from a semi hollow but when i say that i don't mean zakk wylde **** i basically mean a clear high that will cut through and not get drowned out by other guitars and basses.

i spose i've gotta start looking around more but that custom 5 does look like a possibility

another question. my guitar squeals when near the amp which i think is something to do with the pickup being undipped or not sheilded correctly. would a new bucker stop this or is it something that needs to be altered on the guitar?
Could be bad pickup, wiring, or cables.
Though I'm pretty sure its relatively normal.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
after listening to some soundclips it seems to me like the custom 5 is really bassy and sounded more like a metal pickup, is this true in realy life as i don't really trust the soundclips.

anyone had any experience with the gibson '57 classic plus?
^ steven mentioned Rock Monkey. CorduroyEW, a member on UG, happens to own his own little business, hand winding pickups... they seem so good, and I want a set dearly, but YOU SEE, it doesn't seem like a good idea to my dad, so...

Plus he gives 10% discount to UGers... :O
Quote by jonnylad
after listening to some soundclips it seems to me like the custom 5 is really bassy and sounded more like a metal pickup, is this true in realy life as i don't really trust the soundclips.

anyone had any experience with the gibson '57 classic plus?

I have a Custom 5, it's not remotely bassy - it's pretty bright and it's not really a metal pickup either, more of an all rounder. It can do metal, but that's not what it's designed for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
honestly, gibson pickups are pretty dear in the UK. they aren't even all that good. how many people replace gibson pickups with e.g. bareknuckles? how many replace bareknuckles with gibsons?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

i mean, if you prefer gibsons, by all means go for them, just don't fall into the trap that they must be better because they're more expensive and you've heard of them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?