Hi guys, great site you have here, been reading for hours trying to sort what kit will be best for myself....an old biscuit tin with an elastic band would be more tuneful most likely!

OK, I used to play the piano..only to 3rd level but always fancied learning to play bass, I have left it very late (45 years old now) and always loved jazz funk, so see myself more into learning slap 'n pop once the basics sort themselves out....I am a complete novice, I do know which end to blow though.....

Started out wanting a Ibanez jump start and then thought, if I like it I will only have buy all new again?

Then, I settled towards a Yamaha RBX-170 (in the ye olde classic old violin sunburst, my wife likes the color ) not many have a bad word to say about them for what you get for you money.

.....been thinking about practice amps all week for home use ONLY, and sort of decided on a Orange Crush RB20 and then have been told by many shops that they are being discontinued

So then settled on a Laney Richter RB1 Bass Combo.....and then thought, hang on all I'm going to do is plug my head phones to play most of the time so may as well just buy a Vox headphone amp only to be told that they bass versions don't get a smile from those customers that have used them.

.....and was then told I may as well get a Zoom B2 pedal 'n headphones and this will do all I need for few years, with the added benifit of on-board tuner and drumbeat to improve timing etc.....phew we, got there in the end!

So two choices...the RBX170 I'm firm on, but a lil' practice amp and headphones or a Zoom 'n head phones...I could rest my beer on the amp but not the pedal, which may swing it.

any thoughts welcome gentleman (and ladies)

cheers for now

Richard

PS how do you such get a lovely deep, creamy, smooth 'n fat low end as found on this guys playing....well I like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxL-EfMZOPA
Last edited by iconic at Mar 11, 2009,
I'd get a practice amp and use headphones, because at some point someone will want to hear you play.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
...wow, thanks for the prompt reply, I think it maybe a few years before anyone would have the courage

thanks for the advice
yep i would get the amp, it will be funner to play esapecially when you dont have to use head phones. But small practise amps arent loud so you could get away with opuit earphones. Multi FXs units arent great but arent terrible.

Welcoke to the forum anyway, never to old to learn( im fiftenn so that sounds patronizing ilbet), but any q's just ask away.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
That Orange amp you found is quite nice, even though its being discontinued. You may want to check out the Orange Crush practice amp lines. Hartke and Ashdown also have some nice options in the practice combo. I would concur on getting headphones + amp to play on.

For other basic bass facts, check out the FAQ. Great set of info on amps, basses and anything else you need to get started.

And no, its never too old to start. I am slightly older than you and started playing bass after years of being a guitarist. And welcome to the forums--as everyone has already said, if you have questions we're here to help.
Another advantage of the amp over headphones is that its impossible to play with other people with the pedal. Bearing in mind that group playing is on the best ways to improve, and great fun, you wouldn't want to cut yourself out of that option. While that might sound a little far off perhaps, you'd be surprised at the number of people who pick up instruments later on (although, I panic about my father's desire to play drums, not quite as much as my grandpa's newfound passion for sportscars...) and Ive met of plenty of people who get together for beginner jam sessions and play covers etc... or even just play with their kids.
I must also confess to being sceptical about the faithfulness of a pedal and headphone combo with regards to your bass' tone. This isnt founded on any science, but Ive always looked at the size of speakers amps use, then at headphones, and wondered, but I suppose there must be headphones good enough.
Vis a vis deep low end, and Im sorry I cant be more specific as I cant be playing Youtube clips at volume at work, you will likely struggle with conventional practice amps (Im thinking starter pack amps, I dont know about the Orange) and headphones, but my recommendations would be to play with fingers or thumb, nearer the neck of your bass, and to use your amp/pedal EQ to boost bass and cut treble. Bear in mind that the gent in the video is using a 5-string, and the low B offers low end generally unavailable to a 4-string.
Hope that helped.
thanks for the helpful replies, i bought a yamaha RBX374 as it was on offer at only £189 (active pick ups) and got a call back from one of the shops i spoke with earlier to say they had found an orange crush 20b afterall! Headphones, tuner, lead, strap, stand n bag, only need some talent now! Cheers guys (post by txt hence no page breaks)
The tone you hear on that video is just the result of a decent player with decent equipment. I'm not actually that impressed, it seems a little too stereotypical door-rattle sub style, but basically you get tone you like by learning how to play your instrument. Eventually, you will get tired of your starting equipment, and by then you should know better what sounds you want and how to get them.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of music, and good luck with the bass!
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.