Hey guys,

I want to learn to work on guitars so I just bought a Squire Strat to use as a learning guitar. The reason I chose this one is so that if I screw anything up I am only out $150 and I do not want to 'learn' on my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I'm interested in upgrading pretty much everything but the body. So I want to swap out the neck, tuners, pickups, bridge, etc. First thing I want to swap out is the pickups. I am looking for some humbuckers to replace the stock ones with. Problem is I do not know what parts will be adequate replacements. It has a bolt-on neck, so that will be the next thing to go. Any suggestions?

-Dez
I wouldn't replace the neck on it, unless you find a deal on a used one or something..

the necks on squiers usually aren't that bad (the one on mine is actually really nice, IMO).

if it's thicker than you want, it could be a good experience on learning how to shave it down a bit/re-finish it.

for pickups: what amp do you use, and what style of music do you play?
you could look at 3 single-sized humbucking rail pickups, and you'd be able to use the same pickguard thats on it now
if you're not looking to spend tons of money, www.guitarfetish.com has some really good prices on decent quality pickups/hardware

to answer your question, though, just about any humbucker you can find with the proper pole spacing will fit. you'll have to either buy a new pickguard, or modify the one you have to fit a full sized humbucker in there, though. the body in squiers are almost always routed out to accomodate any pup combinations.
or, like I mentioned earlier, theres also single-coil sized humbuckers. they'll get you your humbucker sound without any modifications to the pickguard..

other electronics, tuners, the bridge, and possibly the nut are usually in need of replacement when modding cheaper guitars, but you already mentioned that
Thanks, that site is pretty cool. I was able to find just about everything, I think, I need for around $200. Here are the parts I am looking at:

Black 3-ply Superstrat Pickguard/Wiring Kit
Lil Killer Black Rails
Black Tophat Knobs
Vintage 21 Fret Neck

Unsure on:
Black Trem upgrade kit
-or-
Black Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo System

Will the FR require much routing or modifications to work with this China made Strat?

To answer your questions, right now I only have a Microcube at home for practicing with and a Line6 PODxt on my computer. I am mostly into classic rock, reggae, and some country.
get this (http://store.guitarfetish.com/glblwistsatr.html) instead of those other trems. it wont require any routing. it WILL however require you to drill 2 holes for the posts. but its better than the 1st one and just as good as the single locking FR.

EDIT: you might also want to get a roller nut. or atleast a graphtech one.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Last edited by f22master at Mar 11, 2009,
I'm not sure what you mean by "a roller nut. or atleast a graphtech one".

Do you mean a graphite nut? Which comes as part of the neck. If not, could you elaborate?
Quote by DezFX
Hey guys,

I want to learn to work on guitars so I just bought a Squire Strat to use as a learning guitar. The reason I chose this one is so that if I screw anything up I am only out $150 and I do not want to 'learn' on my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I'm interested in upgrading pretty much everything but the body. So I want to swap out the neck, tuners, pickups, bridge, etc. First thing I want to swap out is the pickups. I am looking for some humbuckers to replace the stock ones with. Problem is I do not know what parts will be adequate replacements. It has a bolt-on neck, so that will be the next thing to go. Any suggestions?

-Dez

So you basically spent 150 bucks on a squire strat body? If really want to change that much, I suggest returning it, and checking out ebay for a body/neck. You will either get something better, or cheaper. Also, Guitar fetish stuff is cheap yes, but in the end you really get what you pay for. I really haven't heard anything that is objectively good about them other then that they are cheep.
yes the nut on that neck is a graphite nut. graphtech is just one of the bigger companies that make them.

and a roller nut has small rollers pressed into the nut so the string will slide easily bac and forth when you youse the tremolo. example: http://melodymusiconline.com/images/rollerNutChrome.jpg there are several kinds. some use ball bearings and some youse plastic rollers. but all do basically the same thing.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I have been trying to find copper shielded wire with no luck. The local electronic shop only has 1000' spools but it looked more like microphone cable than guitar wire. I see this on GF.com, but it does not say that it's shielded. Anyone have any links online to order spools of copper shielded wire? Is this stuff any good? Or will regular solder work?

Recommendations always welcomed...

Edit: Anyone have a link to get a good roller nut that will work with my Squire neck?
Last edited by DezFX at Mar 14, 2009,
weell you could try instaling a

wilkison 2 point trem and a graghite/roller nut

pickups - if your in the uk toneriders http://www.tonerider.com/pickups/pickups_main.html
usa guitar fetish
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
I wouldn't bother with a roller nut?? There really is no need for one.

Fit a Wilkinson tremelo (as has already been suggested) and a graphite nut, and a set of locking tuners. That will give you perfect tuning stability (I've done just that and it's great).

For the electrics, you want to replace the whole lot, they are the worst part of a Squier.

I'm not entirely convinced that Guitar Fetish quality is a suitable upgrade though!!
Quote by DezFX
I have been trying to find copper shielded wire with no luck. The local electronic shop only has 1000' spools but it looked more like microphone cable than guitar wire. I see this on GF.com, but it does not say that it's shielded. Anyone have any links online to order spools of copper shielded wire? Is this stuff any good? Or will regular solder work?

Recommendations always welcomed...

Edit: Anyone have a link to get a good roller nut that will work with my Squire neck?

Solder is solder. That "guitar solder" is pretty much the same regular blend of solder. Solder will not affect tone. Use the home depot stuff, you get more, it comes in more sizes, and will be cheaper per joint in the long run. That stuff is tiny skinny stuff. Personally I prefer the med thick stuff for soldering. And if the shielded wire you are looking for can be found at stew mac.

Quote by mark_wuk
For the electrics, you want to replace the whole lot, they are the worst part of a Squier.

I'm not entirely convinced that Guitar Fetish quality is a suitable upgrade though!!

This guy knows what he is talking about, replacing cheap Chinese made parts with other cheap Chinese made parts doesn't really get you ahead.
Last edited by PainIsPower at Mar 15, 2009,