Is a marketing term. I don't care how many Ibanez solidbodies claim to have "Super-thin and fast necks that allow incredible shredding speed!". I can barely play on them. On the other hand I can do something that sounds like shred on a Les Paul or stratocaster or something with a similar neck. Which necks are fast are as subjective as tone and humbuckers-vs-single-coils, so I'm tired of seeing people who turn down quality recommendations because "That neck isn't fast, it's just normal" or something like that. Try it before you make a statement like that you idiot.

I apologize if this didn't warrant a topic, but I just felt it needed saying and barely anyone reads my blog.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Most "fast" necks are just unglossy/unpainted maple necks! Fender necks are similar to ibanez in the way they feel smooth.

I agree with you but most fast necks are advertised as "super mega brilliant thin" which imo feels very uncomfortable.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
A fast neck is one that feels comfortable to you in your hands. If that means playing a 2x4 then so be it.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Shabadoo
A neck is only as fast as you can make it.

This

IMO Ibanez necks make them feel like children's toys...
on the other hand, fat necks make my hand cramp a little when i play fast stuff, so I'm just sticking with Jackson necks for now
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-

IMO Ibanez necks make them feel like children's toys...
on the other hand, fat necks make my hand cramp a little when i play fast stuff, so I'm just sticking with Jackson necks for now

IMO Jackson necks are the best. I played a Soloist 1 and it was a breeze for shredding
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Ok I hate Ibanez. PERIOD!

Don't bring your period into this thread

I agree though, I feel fine with an ibanez but then realise the fretboard is a lot wider than i'm used to so I find it hard to play on.

If only they made thinner Les Paul necks!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone

If only they made thinner Les Paul necks!

That's why I love 70's Les Pauls! (Norlin, anybody?)

Seriously though, even thought they're Still relatively thick, they seem to be just the right size.
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Quote by Vitor_vdp
IMO Jackson necks are the best.

I agree..but purely on preference..they just feel comfortable and are very shreddable.
i agree that it's preference, but i can play fastest on thin, flat necks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Strats are claimed to be the best playability but Les Pauls work for me too. The SG has kinda of a wider more awkward neck which is why imo so many people are either loyal or hate SGs
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
I love Jackson Necks but adore Gibson 60's necks for rhythym.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
That's absolutely correct, you raise a valid point necrosis. However, you should be aware of the fact that you're an exception to the rule. Most people prefer skinny necks for shredding and the like.

I'm still going to tell shred-fans to primarily try guitars with thin necks, because I figure that's what most of them will prefer.
I love my think Ibanez neck IMO its really comfortable. But in the end I guess it's all personal preference.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
It's preference.
The "speed" of a neck is IMO defined by the finish and whether it feels sticky or not. Neck dimensions can't be fairly described as "fast" because that's down to personal preference.
I mean, I personally go for a wide neck with a relatively small radius (250mm on my JS), kept thin but sticking to the "C" profile. Most shredders or metal guitarists I know like a wide shallow "D" or "U" with a flat radius. The constant is that the finish mustn't be sticky because that's the only thing that's relatively objective.
I agree with your point regarding reccomendation of guitars based on neck dimensions though; it's ridiculous to presume that just because somebody plays so and so style that they need so and so neck dimensions. I know one blueser/jazzer that couldn't get on with anything fatter than the '61 Slim Taper on his ES-335 which came out of the factory smaller than most. I have a metalhead friend who needs a bit of meat on his neck. The key word is personal preference.
i reckon that given a few months you'll get used to any neck so its got alot to do with the kind of guitar ur into at a point in time.

i personally hate ibanez as well but then again i'm not a massive fan of vai and satch and all that, they are fuuuuuukin talented though

to me, a fat neck makes you feel like your actually playing a guitar and a thin one makes it feel like air guitar
You know what else is marketing, brand names. But what can you do? Some people only buy brand x or y, then brand z has the best guitar for thier needs.
A neck can't be fast, but it most certainly can be slow.

(Or more likely finished... again, subjective, but I'd bet a good chunk prefer unpainted necks.)
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Quote by Rock Pig
It's preference.
The "speed" of a neck is IMO defined by the finish and whether it feels sticky or not. Neck dimensions can't be fairly described as "fast" because that's down to personal preference.
I mean, I personally go for a wide neck with a relatively small radius (250mm on my JS), kept thin but sticking to the "C" profile. Most shredders or metal guitarists I know like a wide shallow "D" or "U" with a flat radius. The constant is that the finish mustn't be sticky because that's the only thing that's relatively objective.
I agree with your point regarding reccomendation of guitars based on neck dimensions though; it's ridiculous to presume that just because somebody plays so and so style that they need so and so neck dimensions. I know one blueser/jazzer that couldn't get on with anything fatter than the '61 Slim Taper on his ES-335 which came out of the factory smaller than most. I have a metalhead friend who needs a bit of meat on his neck. The key word is personal preference.

I'm with rock pig on this one! I play fastest than a Slightly-thinner-than gibbo
60's neck (think Schecter) or a Jackson neck. Only if they're satin finished though. Because gloss is naturally a bit sticky. But yeah, preference is KEY. I can play on anything, but that doesn't mean I like it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.