A USB to guitar cable. They're like 30-70 bucks! Is there another, cheaper alternative? My friend has thing wire with a headphone jack on one end, and a guitar jack on the other which looked extremely cheap but it works great.
well get the headphone->guitar lead if it sounds good.
ಠ_ಠ
What is a wimp like you doing in a place like this?
Quote by Electric Eye
A USB to guitar cable. They're like 30-70 bucks! Is there another, cheaper alternative? My friend has thing wire with a headphone jack on one end, and a guitar jack on the other which looked extremely cheap but it works great.

Um...Not sure, but could you post a link to where you found the $30-70 one? that's like, the cheapest thing I've ever heard and I want one.
yea, you can buy an adapter for about $5 bucks witch you plug your cable into your guitar and converter, than plug that into the imput (usualy compute4 mic imput) to your computer at a local guitar shop
Edit : i am american.
Last edited by selibucaz at Mar 11, 2009,
This way works: (I've tried it)

This one does too: (or at least it should, but I've never tried it)

Basically, you need to go from a 0.25 inch port (guitar jack) to a 3.5 mm port (headphone jack).

Either way, you're going to want to download a program called Audacity. It's free and it works great.

Go to RadioShack and you should be able to pick up all the stuff for under $10. You might even have some of the cables lying around your house (like I do )

Hope that helps!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by MESAexplorer
^I think you have it backwards. A mic input on computers are 1/8" while the guitar is 1/4".

This is what you should be looking for.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-1-8-Stereo-Male-to-1-4-Mono-Female-Adapter?sku=335219

Yeah, I think that's what I meant... either pic should work though.

For the second pic, just plug that thing into your computer and then run a 1/4" guitar cable into it from your guitar/amp/pedal.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
1/8'' adapters and most of those USB to guitar cables sound terrible, if you are in any way serious about recording cough up about $100 for a decent interface.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I guess it all depends on what you really want to use for really.
Recordings for the kinda price your wanting one for, well there gonna sound like **** tbh and if you do manage to get a half descent tone from one then it will be by putting in a hell of a lot of work when mixing it.

oh yeah welcome to the world of audio equipment yeah it's expensive but really $30-70 is absolutely nothing compared to prices of descent kit.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Last edited by sepultura alma at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by 3BlindMyceZeke
Um...Not sure, but could you post a link to where you found the $30-70 one? that's like, the cheapest thing I've ever heard and I want one.

Yeah, same thing... The decent ones are about 200-225 Canadian... o.O

Quote by yellowsnow4free
Basically, you need to go from a 0.25 inch port (guitar jack) to a 3.5 mm port (headphone jack).

Either way, you're going to want to download a program called Audacity. It's free and it works great.

Go to RadioShack and you should be able to pick up all the stuff for under $10. You might even have some of the cables lying around your house (like I do )

Hope that helps!

That's exactly what I did in the past... be warned, though, that the sound quality is terrible. I would save up for a USB ecording device if I were you.
those adaptors are ok but suffer from lag if ur pc isnt great and dont give good clarity at all. ur better off buying a cheap interface for 80 quid which will give u great quality recordings.
I tried this and when I went into a solo, my computer said the sheer awesomeness was way too much for it to handle.

But really, invest in a good audio card if you want any quality at all.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Quote by toyboxmonster
That's exactly what I did in the past... be warned, though, that the sound quality is terrible. I would save up for a USB ecording device if I were you.

Yeah, probably, but I just use it to record riffs and suff for my UG profile anyway, so it doesn't really matter
Quote by yellowsnow4free
Yeah, probably, but I just use it to record riffs and suff for my UG profile anyway, so it doesn't really matter

lol when recording layers of ambient music, it's usually too much for the computer to take.