Hey guys, I was just looking through the Seymour Duncan website and noticed that they have a fair amount of single-coil sized humbuckers.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/cool_rails_for/

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/jb_jr_sjbj1/

Could you get the sound of a real humbucker out of these? Especially on clean tones. Would putting one of these in the bridge of a strat basically make it a fat strat? Thanks in advance.
I have the cool rails in the bridge of my strat. It does not sound exactly like a 'normal' humbucker. Duncan describes it as a "louder and punchier single coil" which isn't correct either I think.
It's somewhere between a regular humbucker and a single coil sound-wise. If you use it with a modelling amp, you won't hear much of a difference between it and any other humbucker. But played through a good, responsive tube amp you'll notice that it lacks low-end in comparison. To me, the most important part of a humbucker's tone are the mids, and the Cool Rails has plenty of those. So far that it qualifies for all sorts of rock and some metal. I don't think it sounds right for death metal or anything like that though, because those styles require lots of bass.
It's okay clean, but again, there's less bass and I figure most people will prefer to use their single coils for clean sounds.

I can't comment on the JB Junior, but I imagine it to be similar with more output and more compression. The original JB sounds pretty poor for clean sounds by the way, and I figure the Junior will be no different.

If you get any of these for an SSS Strat, you will need to get it split for use with the middle single coil - your guitar will sound pretty poor otherwise in position 4. For splitting, you'll either need a new pickup selector switch, like the ones used in HSS Strats (they have more contacts and enable splitting) or you get a switching pot. Pick wichever you prefer, it doesn't really matter. Wiring it can be difficult, your local shop will do it for twenty bucks or so.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 11, 2009,
Just thought I'd add that I've been looking into getting single-coil sized humbuckers for the tele I'm buying soon, a Seymour Duncan is one I'm looking into as well as Dimarzio's, you might want to check them out too: http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/ Click strat at the bottom and select hum-canceling.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8

i agree, they sound like really hot singles.
i like them warmed up with aa 250K pot, tbh.

and the other two pups in the pick are dimarzio Virtual vintage heavy blues stacked, and YjM stacked, single sized humbuckers.

the most full sounding is the Vvintage Hb.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Helbent Revenge
Just thought I'd add that I've been looking into getting single-coil sized humbuckers for the tele I'm buying soon, a Seymour Duncan is one I'm looking into as well as Dimarzio's, you might want to check them out too: http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/ Click strat at the bottom and select hum-canceling.

ive got a HR in my bridge here too. i like it better wt the 250kpot too.

the vintage series neck rail from seymour, is a little dark in the neck.

also check out quarter pounders, in addition to dimarzios.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quarter Pounders are imo the best Tele pups Duncan makes, if I had a Tele, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. They're not humbucking though, are they?

How's the V-Rails? Duncan claims they sound exactly like single coils...
nah^^ it'll probably hum a little. you'd have to shield the cavity and do a good job grounding.
the vintage rails are meh, kind of dark. def on the single coil side of the spectrum.
when combined with the HRs, the tele sounds its best.

^silly dude, that's a squier i stripped off the paint and such
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
nah^^ it'll probably hum a little. you'd have to shield the cavity and do a good job grounding.
the vintage rails are meh, kind of dark. def on the single coil side of the spectrum.
when combined with the HRs, the tele sounds its best.

^silly dude, that's a squier i stripped off the paint and such

That tele is almost the exact one I'm looking into getting also, if only the fretboard was rosewood...

I'd be playing mostly rhythm, what ones would sound best (any brand not just SD) for alternative/indie in your opinion.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
sorry guys but I keep wondering, whats the difference between single-coil and the rest...is there a double coil or something?
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Your guitar will be infinite. Far over 9000.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/oXiDe2030/fnmetal.jpg[/IMG]
Quote by BeastTheBand
sorry guys but I keep wondering, whats the difference between single-coil and the rest...is there a double coil or something?

Humbuckers are just basically 2 singe coils put together, which cuts out the humming noise single coils give through an amp.
Fender US Standard Strat '07
Epiphone Les Paul '94
Marshall MG100FX
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss ME-70
Boss TU-2
Quote by Helbent Revenge
That tele is almost the exact one I'm looking into getting also, if only the fretboard was rosewood...

I'd be playing mostly rhythm, what ones would sound best (any brand not just SD) for alternative/indie in your opinion.

not seymour duncan in the states?

check out lace telecaster pups,
bill lawrence pups,
fender scn telecaster pups,
dirk loves and swears by Stephens Design pickups too. his clips sounded good.
http://www.sdpickups.com/

oh yeah cordroy here on ug sells pups too. i dont know if he sells tele pups tho, i know he gives UG discounts. if you can find him and like his product, tell him jenny in eg sent you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 11, 2009,
hoping for some commission there, jenny?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha, no i didnt want cord to like blow him off. HAHA not that he would!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/CorduroyEW/

found how to spell his sn.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?