Hi everyone,

I need some help ! I'm looking for an tube amp with great "fender-like" cleans but that is versatile enough to get at least into hard rock, 80's metal territory.

I want it to crunch decently at bedroom levels, so low wattage or master volume would be a plus.

Built-in reverb would be nice too but it's not necessary.

My budget is $600-$1000.

Thanks
Last edited by slappyx at Mar 11, 2009,
Try the bogner alchemist, it's does a great hard rock and rock tone. I didn't demo the cleans, but fro I could tell they weren't too bad.

A mesa F30/50 DC3/5 would be a pretty good bet as well, great cleans, awesome overdrive, especially for hard rock and metal. The F30 I had sounded pretty good at low volumes as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I don't know if you'll find one, but in the Mid 90's peavy made a small all tube combo called the envoy. It has a great clean channel and even better Crunch channel with boost and an active eq. 12'' speaker and sounds really good and crunchy at low volume. Some call it a "marshall in a box"

I picked one up for $200 on Kijiji and would highly recommend it.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's a great amp for those applications.

Sorry folks, I messed up it's called the "Bravo" great amp not "envoy"
Last edited by BlueFirus at Jun 9, 2009,
mesa boogie triple recitifer ..

no not really.
try a spider valve they are good
Quote by BlueFirus
I don't know if you'll find one, but in the Mid 90's peavy made a small all tube combo called the envoy. It has a great clean channel and even better Crunch channel with boost and an active eq. 12'' speaker and sounds really good and crunchy at low volume. Some call it a "marshall in a box"

I picked one up for $200 on Kijiji and would highly recommend it.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's a great amp for those applications.

The envoy is a solid state amp with a 10 " speaker. Unless you have a link for info otherwise.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The envoy is a solid state amp with a 10 " speaker. Unless you have a link for info otherwise.

Yes the envoy is SS... And mesas look good but I can't find a lot used in france... I would rather buy a NEW amp in my budget.
Ah, I didn't notice your location.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Ah, I didn't notice your location.

So any other idea ?
Not really. You're kind of in a tough spot since most 80s hard rock tones came from jcm800s which don't exactly have fender like cleans.
A JCM2000 dsl will do everything your looking for id look into one of those.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
You could check out the Vypyr 60 hybrid amp if you are into modelling amps. +2 on the Alchemist. Or you could go crazy and get a Blues Jr and the new 6505+ 112 combo and A/B/Y between the two.

actually, that's not that crazy

Edit: sorry, not factoring in exchange rates - you'll have to do that to see if it makes sense and I'm not entirely sure what is available to you.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 11, 2009,
Laney LC30 would work

Though i'm probably biased, given if you check my posts thats the main amp i've recommended. but still a good amp
howbout a traynor ycv50 or a similar traynor? they tend to be the best way to get "fender cleans + marshall crunch" in one package.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
^Pretty much impossible to find in europe I believe. It is a great suggestion though, pretty much exactly what the ts would need.
Yeah I heard about traynors too they seem quite awsome in fact it's not avaiable in France so I'm looking for another option... Thanks for your recommandations though.

Any opinion on the Egnater Rebel or the ENGL screamer ?
I'm not a huge fan of the rebel, that aside I don't think it has enough gain for you purposes. Doesn't have fender cleans either.
Quote by slappyx
Hi everyone,

I need some help ! I'm looking for an tube amp with great "fender-like" cleans but that is versatile enough to get at least into hard rock, 80's metal territory.

I want it to crunch decently at bedroom levels, so low wattage or master volume would be a plus.

Built-in reverb would be nice too but it's not necessary.

My budget is $600-$1000.

Thanks

I reccomend getting a used JCM 900 Combo if you want to keep it small.

You can't go wrong with a good ol' JCM 900.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Mmh the alchemist looks like it has great features... Now I gotta find a store to try it out...
Quote by slappyx
Yeah I heard about traynors too they seem quite awsome in fact it's not avaiable in France so I'm looking for another option... Thanks for your recommandations though.

Any opinion on the Egnater Rebel or the ENGL screamer ?

i don't know anything about the rebel but i personally think the screamer has great cleans but you won't get hair metal out of it. i have the screamer half stack i'll go and see what i can get out of it and come back and post.

EDIT: not gonna get close to hair metal. it's way too loose. and i tried to use my guvnor to tighten it up a bit and still doesn't get close. maybe with higher output pickups and a decent overdrive pedal but on its own definately won't get you there.
Last edited by joe_k at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by joe_k
i don't know anything about the rebel but i personally think the screamer has great cleans but you won't get hair metal out of it. i have the screamer half stack i'll go and see what i can get out of it and come back and post.

EDIT: not gonna get close to hair metal. it's way too loose. and i tried to use my guvnor to tighten it up a bit and still doesn't get close. maybe with higher output pickups and a decent overdrive pedal but on its own definately won't get you there.

I have a MI Audio blues pro as an overdrive pedal so I think it'll be fine to push the amp if needed ...
The Alchemist, if you can find it, is pretty much everything you need.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Yes the alchemist looks great but is still a little bit higher than my budget...

I was thinking of shipping a Traynor YCS50 but the price rose from $750 to $920 in the last 3 weeks I don't know why and I'm a bit frustrated
Maybe should I stick to "french avaiable" amps or ship the YCV50... I don't know...
Quote by slappyx
Yes the alchemist looks great but is still a little bit higher than my budget...

I was thinking of shipping a Traynor YCS50 but the price rose from $750 to $920 in the last 3 weeks I don't know why and I'm a bit frustrated
Maybe should I stick to "french avaiable" amps or ship the YCV50... I don't know...

I've got a YCV50 for sale for $500, I wonder what shipping to France would cost I'm up for it if you are!

-J!
How 'bout a Randall 50 watt MTS combo?

EDIT:
The Egnater Rebel 20 can get pretty dirty. i have one and i can get 80's hair metal tones from it (Poison, Bon Jovi, DLR, Whitesnake). It wouldn't hurt to kick in an OD, though. I strongly recommend an Ibanez TS9 or an MXR ZW-44 (if you don't like the Mid hump from the TS).
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Mar 12, 2009,
Yeah, how could I forget.

TS, if you can't afford an Alchemist, try and find a Randall RM series amp. I think you should be able to afford an RM50. The modules aren't a gimmick, and they actually give a decent representation of the tone. You'll probably want Plexi/Brown modules.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
in my opinion, mesa is the closest you can come, although in that price range you wouldnt be able to get a decent new one. I'd go used F-50, amazing amp and you can probably pick one up around $600-$850
Mesa all the way. I used to own a Fender Tube amp before I got mine... in my opinion the Mesa surpasses it on cleans and the OD is awesome if you EQ it just right. I used to think nothing could touch my Fender on cleans until I plugged into a Mesa for the first time.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 45 1x12
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS CE-2 Chorus
ISP Decimator
Actually, Mesas wouldn't be a bad idea, either, since the original circuit was basically a hot rodded Fender, the cleans should be as good.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Yes I think I'm going to look forthe F50 and 5:25 models too... hard to find used ones in France though, craigslist sucks here

Quote by Nims
I've got a YCV50 for sale for $500, I wonder what shipping to France would cost I'm up for it if you are!

-J!

Thanks !

I could eventually be interested. I'll PM you if my mind finally sets on this amp.
Last edited by slappyx at Mar 14, 2009,