Alright, so I'm building a custom Explorer. I'm not to this point yet, but I would still like to know, what does a bridge have to do with the nut? I know there is nut width, like, 1.76, and i think [THINK] ive seen 1.16 before... Stuff like that. And I have also seen those numbers in descriptions of different FR bridges. Obviously, you want them to match but what i need to know is what nut width i need to put on my guitar, so i can match it up.

It's going to be 1 neck-thru, 24 fret, 25" scale, six string guitar. If you need more info in order to answer my question, just let me know.

P.S.
Please don't be an ass and say things like 'You're a dumbass' or 'You dont need to be building your own guitar if you dont know this". Because, I have HELPED build instruments before. I'm just not EXTREMELY familiar with this one part.

Thanks in advance.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

25.5" is a better scale. It's more universal.

I know nothing about putting a Floyd in a custom guitar, though.
Sorry :\
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.

Oh alright. Lol... Well thanks for the info you did give. -waits-
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Pretty much nothing. I mean, apart from making sure that you have a locking nut with a floating vibrato, it's pretty much up to you. Locking nuts come in widths of 42mm or 43mm. Use the width of your bridge (from the breaking point of each outside saddle) and the width from the outermost string slots of the nut to guide your fretboard footprint.

Also, bear in mind that you're going to be doing a lot of routing for a floating FR, and you can get away with having a very shallow neck angle, because Floyds are fairly low-profile.

Another thing to consider, is your neck construction. I know that I've got a one-piece neck on my build, but have you considered laminating the neck? Even if you just slice your neck blank in half, then rotate one piece 180degrees and glue.
The numbers are just measurements, the description of the FR you are buying should tell you what measurements you are looking at, general nut width bridge with and string spacing.

There is no 'matching' numbers for bridges and nuts, you can use the spacing other companies use, or you can use your own, its entirely up to you.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
the nuts and bridges have a different spacing for different tapers.
Scale length is all personal preference

If you need any help installing the FR check out the ultimate floyd rose thread
Quote by headbangerbuggy
25.5" is a better scale. It's more universal.

I know nothing about putting a Floyd in a custom guitar, though.
Sorry :\

Just because 25.5" scale is more common does not make it better. Within reason, no scale is better than another, they are just different. Different scales offer different playabilities, different tones, different string responces, different looks, different balances, etc.

Scale length is completely a matter of prefference.