It's wack.

As my thread title states, I'm a n00b when it comes to compressors, but I played a few and started recognizing the sounds in recordings that I can't get without one, so I picked one up: the MXR Super Comp, used for $60.

Problem: when I'm playing in the clean channel the compressors makes this weird, sort of "warping" sound, not entirely dissimilar to maybe a "chorusing-tremelo" if that makes any sense. The volume fluctuates a VERY tiny bit here and there, sometimes more than others, and for lack of a better word, the sound that comes out sort of "warps".

It's it's like the pedal is "deciding" on whether or not to work on certain frequencies, and then changes it's mind mid-way through, and then changes it's mind again, resulting in a back and forth, fluttering, warpy sound. This sound is proportional to the amount of compression that I dial in, in that the more compression I add the worse it sounds, but it is always present no matter how low I set the compression. Granted, the sound isn't destructively invasive, but it bothers me and it's not subtle enough to "forget".

Since I don't know jack about compressors, I thought maybe this is something they just "do"? Or is this a flaw in the pedal, either for the fact that it's cheap or that it might be a dud? Is it just a cheap compressor that's giving me these results? I tried a Keeley last week and I don't recall any "warpy" sounds coming out of that bad boy...

Just to make sure, of course I tested it in and out of my pedal chain, with different amps, with different power sources, and with different guitars, and the noise is coming from the pedal no matter what.

Help please!
You did buy it USED didn't you?
As I always say: "Rawr"
Does it have an attack or release dial/switch of any kind?

EDIT: try turning the attack level ... up or down, I can't remember which way it is. But attack level fully up or down should straighten it out.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Mar 11, 2009,
I'd say something is up with the pedal. I've play the Super comp before and I didn't get those kind of results.
Record some clips of it. Sounds kind of cool. If it sounds neat enough, keep it and buy another, using this is as your "Warp Pedal".

Yeah, there will be some volume fluctuation as your crank the sustain, but this sounds unusual.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
I had that compressor too but recently sold it. It didn't do what you say during normal playing, but if you are very lightly picking arpeggios or just barely hitting the strings or something it might. This is because it's trying to squash a signal it's barely picking up into whatever range the settings are set for on the pedal. Try picking harder and see if the problem goes away, and as bartdevil_metal said try messing with the attack knob.
Quote by hunter33
I had that compressor too but recently sold it. It didn't do what you say during normal playing, but if you are very lightly picking arpeggios or just barely hitting the strings or something it might. This is because it's trying to squash a signal it's barely picking up into whatever range the settings are set for on the pedal. Try picking harder and see if the problem goes away, and as bartdevil_metal said try messing with the attack knob.

The problem actually gets WORSE when I play harder. It's not something that takes time to develop either; I dig hard into a big chords and there it is.

Fiddling with the attack knob helps, but that's all, it doesn't make the problem go away. I want a pedal I can SQUASH with, as well as more mild compression, but this simply doesn't do either without that warping sound.

So, probably a bum pedal? What are some good compressors besides the Super Comp, that I can get for cheap used?
It does sound like a bad pedal. The DOD Milk Box is the cheapest compressor I know of that is decent. You can usually find them for around $35 on Ebay.
I've seen Line6 compressors go for peanuts new.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales