Page 1 of 2
me and my band supernova have our first gig this saturday. Has anyone got any advice to make it a good first gig. Weve been practcing for about a month and were nearly ready so have you got any list minute tips or things you wold normally do before or during a gig.

Thanks Lewis

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Make sure you really have your material down 100 percent. The first tune, or maybe the first couple of tunes you play, you will be nervous. But after that you'll have a blast. My tip? ENJOY it. If you enjoy it - it'll reflect onto the crowd. Get into it.
Have fun, be as energetic as possible, and interact with the crowd a bit.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
put on a show,enteract with the crowd,dont get waste or stoned before,wait till after
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
play naked.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

make sure you get alotta picture of it. thatll be nice to have memories of the show. youll prolly have many more to come if you do a good job!
imagine the crowd in their underwear and light your guitar on fire after your done.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
wasn't supernova the name of that band with tommy lee that was on tv looking for a singer? lol

as for tips, do some stretching exercises and what not to get the hand warmed up, and just have fun, no pressure, already landed the gig so the hard part is out of the way man haha
Super Ape on vinyl changed my life.
seriously if you guys been practicing don't sweat it.make sure to be in tune.realy big one being out of tune will disgust every one and talk to the crowd.
film it. that's the biggest thing man. you'll want that video.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Quote by jamesfarr
Throw your foreskin into the crowd

That's horrible. I don't know why it made me laugh so hard.
change your name lawl
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by monkeysintheday
change your name....
Other then that... GO INSANE

this. Rockstar supernova got sued remember, so not the best idea.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
How long's your set gonna be?

I have my first gig with my new band soon. I've done countless others but this one is gonna be gooooooooooooooooood. I like to have a couple of beers to lose a few inhibitions, they loosen you up. Don't party till afterwards though.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Thanks for all the replies guys. Wont be ggeting drunk only 14 so should be good playing all the way through. Yer we no we need to change the name and we are after this gig!

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
get there as early as possible to do sound checks and handle any electric/gear issues, take an extra guitar just in case, play your ass off, and have fun
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
do a good soundcheck. Have your band play while you stand in different parts of the room to hear how it sounds.

Don't sweat over the performance, you'll only make yourself play worse. Remember, you're not out there alone, you're out there as a group - you've got the support of your bandmates, and the spotlight isn't on you.
We got a full hour to set up so getting the sound right shouldnt be a problem and the venues not huge anyway. Check out our mysoace and i no the songs not great but we havent had time to record a full 1.

www.myspace.com/supernova1003995

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
Dude, just enjoy it. Your first gig will make you nervous but, as difficult as it might be, just forget about anything that's worrying you and go into it like it's the last thing you'll ever do.

I'm trying to psych myself up here too, my new band's first gig is tomorrow!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Quote by druz15_UG
this. Rockstar supernova got sued remember, so not the best idea.

Yeah, make it something awesome.
Aussatziger Messias.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
yea this is really no help at all but i listend to your band on myspace and its really got a metallica kinda feel to it that intro aint to bad
Don't be wooden and just stand there. Have some stage presence.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

move around on stage. you don't have to jump around like a burning chimp, but don't stand in one postition, looking down all the time. when easy parts come up, look up and walk about, and get into the rhythm.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Couple of things for a first gig:

1) Don't just stand in one spot. Move around a bit.
2) If you screw up, no one will know (usually), unless you make a funny face.
3) Make sure your lead singer interacts with the crowd.
4) Remember that you will screw up at least once. Live with it.
5) Have a blast. There is nothing better than playing in front of people. It is a natural high.
*Guitars:
Fender Aerodyne Bass
Schecter Stiletto Elite Bass
ESP LTD B-155 Bass
Dean Edge 8-String Bass
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic-Electric Bass
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight Guitar
First of all, Supernova has been taken by a lot of other bands.

Otherwise, make it a music video.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
1.DONT LOOK AT YOUR GUITAR ALL THE TIME!!! <<<<i do that :P

2.Have a bottle of water with you.

Also go over the top insain, some people think its abit OTT but i just think its awsome.
Also like people say try to get the crowd into it abit, for example start with a good catchy thrashy opener imo, and like for the first track i played the guitar solo behind my head and durning a few songs i went into the crown which i know is not always possible just an example.
Haha! You have the same band name as that shitty Tommy Lee TV contest band.

Change your band name to The League of Extra Horny Gentlemen.

Quote by jamesfarr
Throw your foreskin into the crowd

And then it sticks to the side of a drunk guy's head and he doesn't notice until he goes to the bathroom the next morning.
Last edited by Trefellin at Mar 11, 2009,
I've been wondering about sound checks. Every gig i've been too, each band gets louder until the headliners which are usually way louder than the bands before.

So i'm thinking when you do a soundcheck, are you allowed to decide how loud your band is and how much low-end and such you have? Because i've seen bands that play first at a gig, and you can hardly hear the bass, and the sound is pathetic compared to the last band.
Last edited by Bradders0707 at Mar 11, 2009,
I cant really give any advice from a gigging stand point, cause i've never gigged, but from a standpoint of some1 who has seen gigs, its always good to have a cover song or 2, popular songs of course, may be to late for this now but ehh, also, if your like me and don't really jump or move around to much, at least do something to spice it up. people normally focus on the singer so if you just step back and forth a bit and like pick the guitar up and do some different stuff with it thats always cool. gotta look cool too, you can't just go wearing jeans and a t-shirt, try to find a style or something, or a signature look like maybe just a backwards hat, or one of those silk button up t-shirts with the tribal desings and stuff on them. like some1 else said normally when you mess up people wont notice if you keep playing, just DONT STOP, i do this all the time when i practice, but lately i been trying to just play an open note till i can re-sync up with lead guitarist. any way, good luck

Quote by Bradders0707
I've been wondering about sound checks. Every gig i've been too, each band gets louder until the headliners which are usually way louder than the bands before.

So i'm thinking when you do a soundcheck, are you allowed to decide how loud your band is and how much low-end and such you have? Because i've seen bands that play first at a gig, and you can hardly hear the bass, and the sound is pathetic compared to the last band.

a reasoning for this could be that the longer you listen to music at a level of volume, the more normal the volume level seems. like when i start practicing, i may start with volume on 3, then go to 4, then 5, then 6, it may seem loud at first but after listening to it for awhile it kind just seems like normal. any1 know what im talking about?
Last edited by fender3708 at Mar 11, 2009,
Page 1 of 2