Page 1 of 2
Straight from the horse's mouth...

http://www.picture-monster.de/image/view/HTVbn6akvR/MontageKopie.jpg

Made by a fan...
Which Joe corrected him in some aspects.

Quote by Joe Bonamassa

Ok, there are five things wrong with that.. but I think who did it is great.. I got such a kick out of it..

1. I use a fulltone or a Demeter Tremelo in line before the Wah Wah,
2. I use only 100 watt amps so the Cat 5 american is listed wrong
3. I use a diaz vibratrem on the JB 100 6L6 amp for solos and I dont use the two rock anymore.
4. I use a delayed reverb chorus on the Van Weelden for which I now Have two.. One for the states and one for Europe
5. And the fuzzface is run through the superlead only..
Again most of it will change this year.. Im bored and feel like changing a few things around..
Joe B

He goes on further - strange he's not using the Two Rock this year - $10,000 amp doesn't always cut it for a particular time it seems...
Bogner Exstacy is a "different" choice - but still very cool.

Quote by Joe Bonamassa

Think of each of my 4x12 cabs as 2 2x12 cabs.. each are split with a separate jack and a divider in the middle.. the ones I am taking on this tour are Category 5 made. They sound great and punchy. I wear my cabs out almost on a yearly basis.. The amps are subject to taste.. I do recommend the EV's.. The vintage modern is set at maximum. great reverb and texture.. plus they did a mid boost!!! great for guys like me. I am also loving a 18 year old Bogner Exstacy right now.. The "D" Setting is fantastic.. So the final 2009 rig is as follows...

1. 1987 Silver Jubilee 100
2. Bogner Exstacy 100/ or Cat 5 JB 100
3. Van Weelden red/silver panel Twinkelland and twinkleator
4 Carol Ann JB 100 blue man

Effects chain.. all boss!! LOL
through the twinklelator.. Boss half rack chorus, dd3 delay, and rev 5
through the Carol ann .. TC-chorus. (ooops) dd3 delay and rev 5
through the jubilee dd3 delay from the bloodline days..
through the bogner or cat 5 nothing.. a man has to pretend he's Paul Kossoff sometimes..
Pedal Board..
DD3 for Jubilee, TS-808 reissue, Chandler Tube Driver, Fulltone Tremelo, Jorge Tripps Copper Fuzzface, Liele abc, Whirlwind A/b or both, Voodoo labs pedal power 2 and Jorge Trips Custom limited (two only) JB Crybaby Wahs..

there it is folks.. all the 11 herbs and spices for the 2009 american rig.. Btw now I have two in the US... so if you see a different combo its because the "B" rig came out..
Joe B

Chandler Tube Driver - much like Gilmour of course - damn, I want one of those!

I really like to see people shake things up - he has a distinctive and impossibly good sounding setup. My favourite tone.
Last edited by davedoom at Mar 11, 2009,
Nice thread! I love listening to joe play guitar. AMAZING tone, probably my favourite
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Thanks - Wonderful tone.

I always look for players who have the mids high and a woody-honk tone (and yes, I am biased on Les Pauls)

I hope I've fixed that broken link now.

Thankfully, Joe is one of the few people that lets everyone know exactly what he's doing.
It surprises people when they find he just uses mainly stock pedals - apart from the fuzz-face and bits for this year.
I think if you have been playing for a while and have moved onto bigger and better things - I believe an Joe-like rig can be affordable.
No one claims to have $10k amps and five rigs (not even 90% of HC), but I feel that good tone can be achieved for 1/10th of that.
Any opinions?
Quote by davedoom
Thanks - Wonderful tone.

I always look for players who have the mids high and a woody-honk tone (and yes, I am biased on Les Pauls)

I hope I've fixed that broken link now.

Thankfully, Joe is one of the few people that lets everyone know exactly what he's doing.
It surprises people when they find he just uses mainly stock pedals - apart from the fuzz-face and bits for this year.
I think if you have been playing for a while and have moved onto bigger and better things - I believe an Joe-like rig can be affordable.
No one claims to have $10k amps and five rigs (not even 90% of HC), but I feel that good tone can be achieved for 1/10th of that.
Any opinions?
I agree completely, you can achieve tones with $2000 of gear that if you compare them to say a $10000 dollar set-up, the difference in tone is not worth $8000. There's no way.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
BTW guys - though it seems the amp applies to only metalheads today - I've read way back in the forums that Joe used an Engl Ritchie Blackmore as a backup to his Van Weelden Twinkleland!

Which makes me even more sad that I had to sell mine...
Though at least I have a machine of tone equivalent and better! Though I really do need a two or four amp setup now.
Joes gear is like a freakin trade show in and of itself, especially back when he had that massive pedal board.
i love his playing, and its so cool that he is always sharing with us how he gets his tones.
since he isnt using to two rock anymore, i would be more than happy to take it off his hands!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Oddly, there are plenty of Two Rock for sale in the U.S ebay - I know they'd be more plentiful over there (me=UK), but there seems to be lots - almost one of every model - rare ones too.
And at fair prices - apart from a $10k Mayer sig. which is listed as $7k new...if im not mistaken - please correct me otherwise.

Too true about it being like a trade show! It is like NAMM or MusicLive (UK)!
Of course, Joe is a massive fan of NAMM and seems to appear there every year. Jamming or searching with us Joe Publics for new gear - I have read that he was very much impressed with the new Way Huge Pork Pie/Loin pedal "best clean boost ever by a mile" sorta thing.
I might check one out - comes in about the £200 mark, so im choosing wisely for my new 09 pedal board - based a lot on Joe's advice - though I'll go for a Keeley modded delay (it would be a total of about £250-300 for a modded DL4 - money is not that plentiful! Haha
I've never heard the guy play, I'm downloading ( ) some of his stuff now. What I do like about him right off is that he talks about his gear quite freely, and obviously knows how all of it works inside out. Too many guitarists (when they get to professional level) leave all the technical stuff to their sound engineer and just learn to press buttons. It's nice to see someone dilligently learning (and sharing) how to attain awesome tones.
He also lets people tape, photo and video freely. He's a big fan of youtube for it to get out there to new fans.
At least he knows the score...go with the flow and because of it, has gained massive amounts of new fans. As we can see from someone above!
Yeah definitley. I always like to show true and honest artists my support. What style does he play? If I like what I download, I'll probably buy an album.
depend what album. early on it was blues rock, more recently its bluesy hard rock i guess.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
He incorporates many, many styles. People who don't know/care call him an Eric Johnson clone - far from the truth - plays lots of Johnson licks.

He has learnt lots from the best though. Jeff Beck, Danny Gatton (one of the biggest), Jimmy Page - right though of course to the masters like Robert Johnson, B.B King.

He stamps his own mark on the blues though, so much in fact, that most blues "aficionados" dislike what he plays - yet Joe comes back and talks about so much music that has the blues in it, from Zeppelin to rap music.

I still would call it the blues, but with modern day playing and tone. With a twist - i dunno....

Very melodic - which is the key to music I say.

EDIT: His brand new album - excellent - wonderful production from Kevin Shirley. "The Ballad of John Henry (song)" and "Story of a Quarryman" - Now there's a set of riffs!!!
I'd kinda say he plays a sort of "supercharged blues" if I can put it that way.

If you know what I mean.

He certainly does play incredibly, and he DOES channel a bit of EJ often, but hey, there aren't many guitarists better to sound like, and that's certainly not his only trick. He has a pretty great tone, I must say.

And I do love hearing people talk about their setups, and how he is so open to talking about it, I'm always searching for tone tips, and I mean, things average joe says on the internet may or may not be true, but whatever Bonnamassa does to get good tone, is clearly working. .:P
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Didn't he used to have Budda superdrives in his rig?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by davedoom

He stamps his own mark on the blues though, so much in fact, that most blues "aficionados" dislike what he plays - yet Joe comes back and talks about so much music that has the blues in it, from Zeppelin to rap music.

:

This is the reason why I love Joe B. I have the same philosophy, myself

I remember I got into Joe right before he released Sloe Gin. I bought it the week it came out.

I will say that sometimes, it gets a bit boring when he embellishes his solos too often, but he does it so rarely, that it doesn't really matter.
I love me some Bonamassa.

FWIW, I can nail some of his tones (Blues Deluxe, Sloe Gin era) with a 335 into my Silver Jubilee (boosted by a Zendrive).
I'm listening now...Oh my god. How could I have not listened to this guy before. Brilliant player, and if it's him then he also has some sick vocals..
Joe Bonamassa is a great player but sometimes I feel like he has a bit of Gary Moore syndrome
^^Haha! I'm glad bartdevil!

Everyone who wants to expand their playing and tone a bit, should listen to at least a bit of this guy in action.

Hell of a backing band - Rojas has one of my favourite bass sounds too.

Most people on youtube seem to like to take the mickey about his speaking voice. Well, he is so kind and courteous to explain things in a reasonable and accurate way, so that is just plain rude. He has some really good vox. live - heavy blues engraved.

Also, he did use Budda's and according to this:
http://www.javaboost.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/joe-b-amp-with-baffle.jpg

He used JCM900s with his old Strat setup. Still sounded like Joe.
Also used a Plexi and a Strat back in the Bloodline days - love that band - some good groove blues rock! Good vocalist/bassist back then too.

EDIT: I don't think he waffles as much as Moore does now. Moore had the cheek to put Joe down for not being the blues enough, concentrating on too many styles. Screw you Moore - you used to rock with Lizzy and solo stuff in the 80s - I feel he's like Clapton now, too much with the old blues waffle albums - while Joe is up there and expanding above them with passionate highly-charged blues rock.
I much prefer Joe's tone over most players today anyway...mmmmaybe even Johnson himself....yes, because he uses L.P and lots of mids - which I love! /rant
Quote by davedoom
^^Haha! I'm glad bartdevil!

Everyone who wants to expand their playing and tone a bit, should listen to at least a bit of this guy in action.

Hell of a backing band - Rojas has one of my favourite bass sounds too.

Most people on youtube seem to like to take the mickey about his speaking voice. Well, he is so kind and courteous to explain things in a reasonable and accurate way, so that is just plain rude. He has some really good vox. live - heavy blues engraved.

Also, he did use Budda's and according to this:
http://www.javaboost.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/joe-b-amp-with-baffle.jpg

He used JCM900s with his old Strat setup. Still sounded like Joe.
Also used a Plexi and a Strat back in the Bloodline days - love that band - some good groove blues rock! Good vocalist/bassist back then too.

EDIT: I don't think he waffles as much as Moore does now. Moore had the cheek to put Joe down for not being the blues enough, concentrating on too many styles. Screw you Moore - you used to rock with Lizzy and solo stuff in the 80s - I feel he's like Clapton now, too much with the old blues waffle albums - while Joe is up there and expanding above them with passionate highly-charged blues rock.
I much prefer Joe's tone over most players today anyway...mmmmaybe even Johnson himself....yes, because he uses L.P and lots of mids - which I love! /rant
My issue with Moore isn't that he tries to play blues, it's that he dicks around too much and is too flashy to the point where it waters down his playing. Moore is and always has been the epitome of the player who does not understand the phrase "less is more," and while I don't think that Joe B is quite as bad, there are some times where I feel like he overplays to the point where it sometimes detracts. My biggest issue with Moore is that when he does play under control, he's probably the best modern day blues-rock guitarist amongst your typical pool of popular guitarists.

But you're right, Gary Moore of all people should not be saying that of anyone.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 11, 2009,
I should really get around to listening to him sometime. The article in this month's GP makes me want to even more. Shame I'm broke...
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by al112987
My issue with Moore isn't that he tries to play blues, it's that he dicks around too much and is too flashy to the point where it waters down his playing. Moore is and always has been the epitome of the player who does not understand the phrase "less is more," and while I don't think that Joe B is quite as bad, there are some times where I feel like he overplays to the point where it sometimes detracts. My biggest issue with Moore is that when he does play under control, he's probably the best modern day blues-rock guitarist amongst your typical pool of popular guitarists.

I agree with this.

John Lee Hooker has a song on his That's Where It's At! album called Teachin the Blues. That sums up that 'less is more' type attitude.

The thing I like about Joe is that he can play the blues, although he sometimes he meanders into wankery sometimes. There are too many people who try to play blues and fail, for whatever reason (coughjohnmayercough)
Quote by davedoom
He also lets people tape, photo and video freely. He's a big fan of youtube for it to get out there to new fans.
At least he knows the score...go with the flow and because of it, has gained massive amounts of new fans. As we can see from someone above!

Probably the only musician I've ever seen where you can video a show, upload it to Facebook, tag him and get his opinion on it! I know a few other people who're big fans, and they chat to him on Facebook occasionally, he seems like a very friendly and humble guy....

Brilliant thread though, as a huge JB fan this is useful stuff!

I've never liked people who emulate others' tones, but his rig is about the closest I've ever heard to a 'perfect' tone, for me. I imagine a lot of it is in the way he picks (and the collection of awesome guitars probably helps), but I've got the Budda Superdrive on my wishlist for now. If only Silver Jubilees weren't so hard to find, I'd get the combo in a second...I haven't got it, but he did a sort of instructional DVD a while back where he show off his whole rig, there's a few bits on Youtube and it's quite interesting. Might be worth hunting down if anyone's interested.

I've got to agree with davedoom again on the Eric Johnson comparision - their playing is similar only in the sense that they use exotic scales to create unusual melodies. And don't get more started on EJ's tone/production - it's horrible

Quote by SSL27
I should really get around to listening to him sometime. The article in this month's GP makes me want to even more. Shame I'm broke...
http://www.deezer.com/#music/result/all/bonamassa

That lot should keep you going for some time
Last edited by kyle62 at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
Probably the only musician I've ever seen where you can video a show, upload it to Facebook, tag him and get his opinion on it! I know a few other people who're big fans, and they chat to him on Facebook occasionally, he seems like a very friendly and humble guy....

Gov't Mule used to be like that, though I don't know if they still are. The Black Keys allowed cameras in the show that I went to
Quote by imgooley
Gov't Mule used to be like that, though I don't know if they still are. The Black Keys allowed cameras in the show that I went to

I think its really cool when artists do this. John Mayer allowed people to take videos at his shows too, hosted them on his site even. Really cool stuff. (whatever you may or may not think of him is irrelevant thanks. :P I just wanted to say how cool it is when artists do this)
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Last edited by echo_4190 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by Joe Bonamassa
I am also loving a 18 year old Bogner Exstacy right now..

At least it is of the legal age of consent....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
At least it is of the legal age of consent....

priceless. :P
Wes, yeah he did.

Bonomassa is one of my faves Top 5 easy
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Top 5 or top 3 for me.
Im not a great fan of Mayer - he sits too much on a musical fence for my liking - tone is cool enough, but the pop and almost hip-hop sensibilities ruin the songs. Too middle of the road for me, not enough raw passion within the music.

I'll see what else I can dig up on his gear and keep it right up to date 09, since he is changing almost every month now - should be using some new guitars - of course he is using the Petrucci baritone model for The Ballad of John Henry (song).

EDIT: Useful links for anyone who needs those youtube bits and bobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2yHFbT63ug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGP7P9FNn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXy0gGqegpA&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayList&p=705EE86BDAC2F191&playnext=1&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfvqBrpKWIc&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayList&p=705EE86BDAC2F191&index=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfMhnI9daUA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX3TN0yJEog&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL8VaOg70F8&feature=related
Last edited by davedoom at Mar 12, 2009,
I really don't see what all the hype about Joe is. Don't get me wrong, he is a very talented player, but there really isnt anything that stands out about him to me.
And I personally don't think his tone is as phenomenal as everyone makes it out to be - I mean it is very nice, but its not like "OMGZORZ!!! THATS THE BEST TONE EVER!".

*Engages flameshield*
Quote by davedoom
Fair enough.

Hard to say when you like and play the music you do maybe...

Haha thats being a bit stereotypical isn't it?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I really don't see what all the hype about Joe is. Don't get me wrong, he is a very talented player, but there really isnt anything that stands out about him to me.
And I personally don't think his tone is as phenomenal as everyone makes it out to be - I mean it is very nice, but its not like "OMGZORZ!!! THATS THE BEST TONE EVER!".

*Engages flameshield*

I agree with you to an extent, though I am a fan of Joe B. I'm not one to be impressed with McBlues tones, and while his is a bit bigger than most (especially on A New Yesterday), it's still a McBlues tone.

As far as his music, I find a lot of it enjoyable and a small amount of it offputting, but I can say that about most artists
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Haha thats being a bit stereotypical isn't it?

Yet I listen to and play everything. Blues, funk, classic rock etc etc etc - used to play metal...

Just gets boring for me now, seen all those metal bands and it is just the same sound through every P.A.

I don't just listen to Joe - you can get great bands like Primus (as you know - one of the best bass players) - god, listen to Larry - I would cut myself with a rusty spoon than listen to a solo of his.

Im not stupid.
Quote by davedoom
Yet I listen to and play everything. Blues, funk, classic rock etc etc etc - used to play metal...

Just gets boring for me now, seen all those metal bands and it is just the same sound through every P.A.

I don't just listen to Joe - you can get great bands like Primus (as you know - one of the best bass players) - god, listen to Larry - I would cut myself with a rusty spoon than listen to a solo of his.

Im not stupid.

No, assuming that I only listen to and play metal based on my user name is a bit stereotypical.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
No, assuming that I only listen to and play metal based on my user name is a bit stereotypical.

I don't think so.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

+1. I like Joe, but his tone isn't that great. When he runs a delay and that octave(i think) pedal for his cleans, it gets annoying after a while. Just not my thing.

Warren Haynes has much better tone, imo.

I like when artists are up front about what gear they use too, I don't understand the need to hide what gear you're using.

imGooley, I think the mule still allows recordings of the shows, they have a little area set up for people to set up their mics and junk. They don't allow video recordings because it interferes with other people's views of the show when some jackass is holding up a video camera the whole time. They just won't let you tap into the soundboard, 'cause they sell those on their website.
Page 1 of 2