Right. I know the pics aren't brilliant. Tape is reading 10 inches plus the body, wheel is a 26 inch Mountain Bike wheel.

So I did a job for a guy, he has a wood yard of sorts. This stuff was described to me as "South African Mahogany", has been stored in a container for 10 years and recently brought out.

So to me, that is Khaya?

Two bits, each 12 1/4 inches (31cm) by 2 inches by 7 feet, yes 7 feet long.

Going to get it planed up, but how should I get it done?

They won't be quite wide enough for one piece bodies sadly, so I thought about getting 8 inch wide boards and 3 ish inch wide board, for making necks etc?

Anyone know anything about the wood itself (Khaya?)

Pics:

Last edited by Skeet UK at Mar 11, 2009,
All I know is that what you have is a **** load of wood..
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
since its not wide enough for one piece, you need to cut the board at 20 inches and make lots of 20 inch blocks, then cut those 20'' blocks to 7-8'' wide, making sure to remove useless material such as cracks, checks, big warp/high spots. then you need a jointer, 6'', and a large flat surface. place your 7''x20'' blocks on the flat the surface, and press on each corner one at time to determine which corns are high, then knock those corners out on the jointer very carefully, once the rocking is gone from high spots, you are ready to plane it. obviously you want to plane it with the flat side down, once your pieces are planed to 1 3/4'' or whatever, you again use the jointer to make the glue-side flat.

say you cut the first 20'' piece, then the second 20'' piece... put them together like they were BEFORE you cut it, then take the top piece. take the piece towards the top, and turn it 180 degrees clockwise then put that next to the first 20'' peice on the RIGHT side, this will give you a perfect grain match and a joint that will be most-invisible.
in my wood book this is described as a softer mahogany, about half as "hard" as hard maple, yet very stiff. it is said to have alot of inner-wood tension due to irregular grain formation, so if you plan on making a neck out of it, for god's sake cut it up and do the grain flip to remove the grain tension.
Quote by jackofclubs
That wood is beautiful...

No it's not, it's rough as sin...

The roughness, goes around the wood, horizontally.

Cost me 3 hours of my time and expertise. But I can have others for £25 each.

Erm...so it's OK to use for bodies etc. Is it a good wood?

If I use it for necks, then make them thin strips and laminate them.

LP. You might have to run that whole, cut this, flip that scenario past me again!

Probably gonna have to increase this pic a bit...

Like that I am thinking?

I have another contact who will be planing it for me. He has a full on workshop with large thicknesser, table saw and so on.
first thing you wnat to do is set yourself up with a bandsaw/tablesaw with a fence and cut 3'' or so off the wood, whatever will give you 7.25'' wide on the actual body piece. set that piece aside for later. first you want to prepare the body stock. when it comes to the neck piece, you will have a 3'' wide piece. cut that board into 3 1'' wide pieces. the middle piece, flip over 180 degrees, then glue it all back up.
Quote by LP Addict
first thing you wnat to do is set yourself up with a bandsaw/tablesaw with a fence and cut 3'' or so off the wood, whatever will give you 7.25'' wide on the actual body piece. set that piece aside for later. first you want to prepare the body stock. when it comes to the neck piece, you will have a 3'' wide piece. cut that board into 3 1'' wide pieces. the middle piece, flip over 180 degrees, then glue it all back up.

So 7.25 inch will be wide enough for any body I would care to make then?

What I was thinking, is seeing as the board is just over 12 inches, I could expect a minimum of 11 inches once planed. And 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 thick.

So, take off a 7ft strip 3 inches wide and cut that into two 48 inch long bits.
Leaving me an 8 inch wide board to cut into 20 inch long bits.

Then you say that each neck bit, should be cut into 3 strips just under an inch wide, then whatever laminate I want in there, flip the centre bit too from 12 to 6 o'clock, then glue it up?

Giving me two 48 inch long by 3 or so inch wide, by 1.75 deep laminate neck blank.

Was I right in the pic about flipping the 20 inch board?
i cant really see what it is, but i think you have it right. and yeah that sounds about right. from those neck blanks you SHOULD be able to make one neck-through guitar, or two angled headstock necks, or two straight headstock necks from each 48'' long piece, i think, if you do it right.
Awesome.

Also. If the boards will be going through a large thickness planer, do I need to worry about the "checking level" part of your description?

Will have to see what the grain is doing (1/4 cut or whatever) once it is planed. Should this have any bearing on the bodies or neck bits?

How does flipping the body bit, give a near perfect grain match?

Do I ask enough dumb questions?
i dont feel like explaining how it will give a perfect grain match, just trust me that it does. you ALWAYS need to worry about it being level and flat or else it will wiggle while going through the planer which could : A) ruin the piece of wood, B) destroy the planer, or C) give you vaginal aids. so its pretty important that your piece of wood does not wiggle when you put it through the planer, because SOMETHING is gauranteed to get ****ed up (im pretty sure this is what happened to metal warriors mahogany).
BTW TS you should be able to just get one peice bodies out of 12 1/4 " wide slab.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Well I thought this. But, things like LP's, seem to be a touch wider. Strats are 13 inches etc, or seem to be anyway.
Could do a slightly narrower Firebird. The width on one (Judging from my blueprints/plans) is 32 or so cm.
Still, that wood looks like it could be good! If its too much to handle, I wouldn't mind taking some!
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
Could do a slightly narrower Firebird. The width on one (Judging from my blueprints/plans) is 32 or so cm.
Still, that wood looks like it could be good! If its too much to handle, I wouldn't mind taking some!

I can get more dude...

Want me to knock up some blanks for you?
Could do, could do. Depends on the money figure of course.
superman is killing himself tonight
Cheers for the help dudes.

Will keep you posted on what occurs. Can't wait to see what it looks like paned up.

Now I need some nice maple and some plain maple, and some veneer and ....