I've been thinking of getting the Epiphone Valve Junior head, and I know it's only 5w, but how loud is it? Could it be well heard over the drums? Thanks for the help.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I have a name. It is Mitch.
It's loud enough to be heard over drums, yes, but don't expect any clean headroom (although you CAN get some if your drummer is quiet or the acoustics of the room help with projection).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you crank it and have it hooked up to a good cab, it'll be heard. Unless the drummer is hell bent on drowning it out. You won't get any clean sounds from it that way though, and not everybody's into the distortion it produces. To me, it's a muddy mess with shrill top end, but try it yourself.
So, if I hooked it up to a cheap Marshall cab, would it sound good? Because I don't really want/need distortion, I just need good cleans and lots of volume. My Big Muff does an awesome job for distortion.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Quote by Raijouta
It's loud enough to be heard over drums, yes, but don't expect any clean headroom (although you CAN get some if your drummer is quiet or the acoustics of the room help with projection).

I pretty much agree with that. You get about enough clean headroom to play with an acoustic guitar and a drummer that doesn't play too much louder than an acoustic guitar. If you don't need clean headroom then you can play over a light hitting drummer but a heavy hitting drummer will still bury you. A cracked VJ is still more than enough volume for the studio or a bedroom.

If you need volume and cleans then the VJ won't cut it.
Not taking any online orders.
No, it won't. The VJ will not have any clean headroom over a drummer with any cab.

If cleans are what matter to you, get a Fender Champ 600 and hook it up to an extension cab.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I would have decided on an amp a long time ago if wasn't on a budget. But I need something loud and cheap.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

look for a used blues junior, or maybe a used hot rod deluxe. in order for the VJ to stay clean, it won't be heard over a drummer.
Can you afford a Blues Jr or a Pro Jr?

They would be loud enough for you, and the BJ in particular can stay quite clean.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The Valve Jr. isn't too bad of an amp - it lends itself incredibly well to cheap modding, which might be what you're looking for. It does tend to distort at higher volumes, but with a mod, you can increase the clean ceiling.

I tried the "BitMo" mods in my VJ, and while it did add gain, it's shoddy construction added a LOT of noise. Luckily, it was pretty easily uninstalled.

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across B5 Amplification and their VJ mod kits. I picked up the "Sat Fat" circuit, and it added a ton of deep-end tone. The kit was well constructed, with the components arranged in such a way that RFI (Radio Frequency Interference, i.e. noise) was minimalized as well as making it a cleaner install. This particular kit lends itself well to a more distorted/overdriven tone that punches you straight in the gut, but you may want to look into the Fat Boy V. From what I'm reading, the FBV has separate gain and volume controls, compared to the VJ's single knob controlling both gain and volume. This should give you the ability to crank up the volume while keeping the distortion under control when you're pushing decibels. Not to mention, it has a full EQ.

Worth taking a look into.

http://www.b5amps.com
Last edited by WhoIsTheDrizzle at Mar 23, 2009,
I agree, a stock VJ probably won't deliver what he wants. That's why I recommended the mods.

What's your price range here?
Quote by WhoIsTheDrizzle
I agree, a stock VJ probably won't deliver what he wants. That's why I recommended the mods.

What's your price range here?

It's pretty low. I'm looking for something under $400, and something great with cleans and will have all the wattage I'll ever need, but is still really cheap. If you can suggest anything with that, then that would be great.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

You probably aren't too far off a Blues Jr, which has enough wattage for everything less than arena sized venues. Can you save $100 more?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
You probably aren't too far off a Blues Jr, which has enough wattage for everything less than arena sized venues. Can you save $100 more?

I might be able to. But all of my gear is dying on me, so I have to replace them quick. And I don't have a job, but I will get one soon, in about a week. What about the Fender Frontman 212r?
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

I personally like the Frontman, so at risk of being murdered by the UG bandwagoners I will say that, if you only plan to play clean, it's a decent choice.
BUT the distortion is horrible, and you really aren't far off a Blues Jr. $50 more might just be enough for the Pro Jr, which is basically the same thing without EQ and which (IMO) stays a little cleaner for a little longer.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
I personally like the Frontman, so at risk of being murdered by the UG bandwagoners I will say that, if you only plan to play clean, it's a decent choice.
BUT the distortion is horrible, and you really aren't far off a Blues Jr. $50 more might just be enough for the Pro Jr, which is basically the same thing without EQ and which (IMO) stays a little cleaner for a little longer.

Well I can truthfully say that I will never have to use amp distortion again. 'Cause I have a Big Muff! But I might use it for a small bit of gain sometimes. I like those amps you suggested, but I'd like a big amp, because I jam quite a bit. The Frontman is looking good so far. I've tried the DSP version before too. All this could go away if I could just afford a Deluxe Reverb...
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Quote by fly135
Get a Blues Jr or a Pro Jr.

This is about the only thing that is going to get you what you want at a reasonable price. The Vj won't do cleans against a loud drummer. Your budget is what's hurting you. Your needs really fall into the $500 to $750 range.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
This is about the only thing that is going to get you what you want at a reasonable price. The Vj won't do cleans against a loud drummer. Your budget is what's hurting you. Your needs really fall into the $500 to $750 range.

I wish they sold amps that are really cheap, and they have a volume knob, a reverb knob, and no gain at all. And really loud. That would save me a lot of trouble.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.

Wow, I just checked it out on YouTube. I am going to seriously consider this! Thanks guys! I can definitely pay $50 more for this bad boy.
Quote by Kensai
Hipster.