I was looking into getting an acoustic or acoustic-electric bass for acoustic use (I'm not really interested in the acoustic-electric sound), and noticed that one of the recommended "accessories" were acoustic bass strings. Although me getting an acoustic is definatly not in the near future (I'm broke D: ), I was wondering, what's the difference? If I play an acoustic bass with electric bass strings, what will be the damage?
Last edited by herby190 at Apr 2, 2009,
I don't think it would make any difference to be honest. Acoustic strings are probably made to give a different sound to normal roundwounds to suit the timbre of an acoustic bass, but that's the only noticeable difference I can think of.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
There won't be any damage from electric strings.

As for acoustic strings, I think LaBella Tapewounds and TI Acousticores are popular on TB.

Out of curiosity, why do you want an acoustic, if not for the tone? Most acoustic basses aren't actually made to be played acoustically...they're designed to provide an alternative to the whole "P-bass with flats" thing during acoustic sets. There's a reason 99% of them are A/E...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 11, 2009,
Steel strings have more tension, acoustic strings are more flexible. Steel strings could **** it up.
Quote by Mutant Corn
There won't be any damage from electric strings.

As for acoustic strings, I think LaBella Tapewounds and TI Acousticores are popular on TB.

Out of curiosity, why do you want an acoustic, if not for the tone? Most acoustic basses aren't actually made to be played acoustically...they're designed to provide an alternative to the whole "P-bass with flats" thing during acoustic sets. There's a reason 99% of them are A/E...

Really? I wanted one just for the convenience of it being acoustic...

Quote by Slay 'Em
Steel strings have more tension, acoustic strings are more flexible. Steel strings could **** it up.

Would it work to just get a higher gauge, so they're looser, so there's less tension.
Quote by herby190
Really? I wanted one just for the convenience of it being acoustic...

Would it work to just get a higher gauge, so they're looser, so there's less tension.

Yeah, it'd be fine...actually you can use most any string. Very few basses will actually have a problem with high-tension strings.

And as for it being acoustic, if you want something good for practice, they're an awesome thing to have...mine gets more play tome than my other two basses combined.

There actually are a few that are loud enough to be played with a band, but they are rare. The Tacoma Thunderchief and it's Olympia little brother are the most widely known, but there are quite a few others as well...the problem with finding them is that for some reason they don't seem to be on the market for long. There have been some awesome ones though. I remember at one point someone was producing a carbon-fiber one that could rival an upright bass in volume. This Sutherland is apparently quite loud.

(Invalid img)
Nope, no sig here.