I've done some searching on the web and looked at some of the upgrades I can purchase for the specific HP model. The problem is I'm not sure which upgrades would benefit me the most and which would be a waste of my time.

I searched around UG and couldn't find anything really on this subject, so maybe others can ask for some help here as well.

Anyhow basically i'm curious on to which I should upgrade that would benifit me the most for playing games such as l4d and portal.

Comp Stats:
HP Model: HP pavilion a1226n

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+, 2.19 ghz
Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Ram: 960 MB (technically 1 gig as it says on the case)

If any other parts of my comp could be upgraded please say so as I am definitely no computer guru.

*EDIT*
Thanks for all the quick replys. I really only have a couple hundred extra to spend, not near enough for a new comp.

I found a spec sheet of my comp, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00532755&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1153954
That way you can find the stuff that I don't even know about lol.

So I def need some more ram, i'm guessing another gig of ram would be fine? This comp can take 4 gigs of ram.

For the graphics card, how likely is it my monitor and power supply will be inadequate to support a new card?
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Mar 11, 2009,
I'd upgrade the RAM. 1GB isn't all that much, and it won't cost you very much to do, and can have great results.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Obviously the graphics card. You're gonna need to know the power of your power supply and the size of your monitor.

I have an HP pc downstairs with that same on board graphics. Sucks.
If you play a lot of video games, a new video card would probably help too. I've never changed a processor though, I don't know how hard that would be, although it would probably make the biggest difference.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
You can upgrade your processor, motherboard, video card, memory, power supply, sound card, and hard drive. Also, "technically", 1 gig of ram is 1024 megs.
Power Supply, CPU, Graphic Card, RAM. That's everything right?

Edit: Buy a new PC.
Epiphone SG-G400.
Crate Flexwave 15W
Korg Toneworks Modeling Signal Processor AX3G
yh if you want games get more RAM. What operating system does it have?
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by Grindar
You can upgrade your processor, motherboard, video card, memory, power supply, sound card, and hard drive. Also, "technically", 1 gig of ram is 1024 megs.

Well, it's supposed to be, but its really not. They round 1000 megs to a gig, its totally stupid.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
more ram would be good, but another computer would be even better
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Quote by Cutlass_253
Well, it's supposed to be, but its really not. They round 1000 megs to a gig, its totally stupid.

no, 1GB is always 1024MB. in this case the other 64MB is being used by the graphics card.

Yeah, you really should be getting a new PC. You have a single core CPU, onboard graphics, and 1gb of RAM isn't really sufficient for many games nowadays.
Quote by jgbsmith
no, 1GB is always 1024MB. in this case the other 64MB is being used by the graphics card.

No, its not. 1 GB is 1000 MB. Look it up.

That's why a flashdrive that is advertised for 8 gigs actually only holds like 7.4.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Mar 11, 2009,
Hate to be the guy bringing this up, but isn't there a computer thread somewhere around here?

Still, seems to me that the easiest thing might be to invest in a new computer. If you can't afford that, I'd go with more RAM and a new graphics card

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by Cutlass_253
No, its not. 1 GB is 1000 MB. Look it up.

That's why a flashdrive that is advertised for 8 gigs actually only holds like 7.4.

trust me one this, 1GB is equal to 8589934592 bits, which is 1073741824 bytes, or 1048576 kilobytes, or 1024 megabytes.

edit: no, that is because the other space (usually around a tenth of the actual capacity) is used by the file system as a directory of what is stored on the disk.

doubleedit: I really need to get out more

Last edited by jgbsmith at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by jgbsmith
trust me one this, 1GB is equal to 8589934592 bits, which is 1073741824 bytes, or 1048576 kilobytes, or 1024 megabytes.

edit: no, that is because the other space (usually around a tenth of the actual capacity) is used by the file system as a directory of what is stored on the disk.

doubleedit: I really need to get out more

Depends really, by normally 1000MB is said to be 1GiB.
Anyway, upgrade your graphics card, after having done that you should be fine
Quote by jgbsmith

No, theoretically it should be that way, but industry standard is that 1,000,000 bytes is a GB (which is actually less than 1000 MB). There's no way a directory would ever take up 10% of the space on the drive.

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/750

HOWEVER, after reading this I realize you might be right when it comes to anything that's not storage. So for ram you're probably right.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Quote by uk.mace
Depends really, by normally 1000MB is said to be 1GiB.
Anyway, upgrade your graphics card, after having done that you should be fine

yes, but technically, 1GB is 1024MB, which is what I said. Colloquially, 1000MB is used, but it is not accurate, anyway, TS needs more RAM and a new graphics card, at the least.

edit:
Quote by Cutlass_253
No, theoretically it should be that way, but industry standard is that 1,000,000 bytes is a GB (which is actually less than 1000 MB). There's no way a directory would ever take up 10% of the space on the drive.

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/750

HOWEVER, after reading this I realize you might be right when it comes to anything that's not storage. So for ram you're probably right.
it does, that directory is the file system, so it is where file names and folder trees are stored, not to mention the directory of where on the actual drive each fragment of each file is.

oops. on inspection of my own hard drive, you appear to be right about that though. I'm used to working on older computers, from before when that was apparently changed .

Quote by jgbsmith
yes, but technically, 1GB is 1024MB, which is what I said. Colloquially, 1000MB is used, but it is not accurate, anyway, TS needs more RAM and a new graphics card, at the least.

That's the thing, its not colloquial. Its actually used this way in business.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
@ Cutlass: I think it's just that companies can get away with calling 1000MB 1GB because most ppl don't know the difference, but when you connect it to the computer it generally deals with it as 1024MB per GB, meaning it shows as less than it is advertised for
Quote by uk.mace
@ Cutlass: I think it's just that companies can get away with calling 1000MB 1GB because most ppl don't know the difference, but when you connect it to the computer it generally deals with it as 1024MB per GB, meaning it shows as less than it is advertised for

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I'm not trying to say that 1 GB = 1000 MB, cuz its not supposed to be that way, and isn't that way for a lot of things

BUT for hard drives they advertise 5 GB and only give you 5000 MB.

I'm sorry I went off topic about the RAM, that was my mistake.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
I would buy a new pc. I had a pc with similar specs like yours I simply hated it.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by Cutlass_253
That's the thing, its not colloquial. Its actually used this way in business.

you're right. It's a total double standard though. because technically, 1GB will always be 1024MB. As I said in my edited post, my own hard disk, which I bought as 320GB shows up as unformatted as 298GB. bloody cheapskates.

edit: yeah sorry about the off topic. I would seriously look into more RAM at the least. Check out the website I linked earlier in the thread, they're pretty cheap and their system scanner is top-notch.

TS needs more than RAM and a new GPU, he needs a new processor. The best investment by far would be a brand new computer though.
I edited my first post with a specs sheet of my comp. So basically another gig of ram would do me good as well as finding a decent video card compatible with my pc.

Thanks for the help all, anything else I should know that I might be able to upgrade or be wary of when searching for a new video card?

Also, with these two things give a me a noticeable improvement when playing games? I imagine they will but just gotta ask
Upgrading that thing is ultimately a waste, save your cash til you can build or buy something that'll be worth it.
What Operating System are you running? because if it's XP32, then there's no point going past 2GBs of RAM because that's all it supports, however if you're running XP64 or Vista, I'd recommend going to whole way and getting 4GB. It probably won't cost you more than $50 or $60.

Quote by jgbsmith
What Operating System are you running? because if it's XP32, then there's no point going past 2GBs of RAM because that's all it supports, however if you're running XP64 or Vista, I'd recommend going to whole way and getting 4GB. It probably won't cost you more than $50 or $60.
XP32 supports up to around 3.5GB RAM, just like any other 32bit operating system.
Quote by freedoms_stain
XP32 supports up to around 3.5GB RAM, just like any other 32bit operating system.

I did not know that, I was always sure it only supported up to 2GB, I don't know where I got that from. You tend to be more knowledgable on this sort of thing, so ignore me.

I wouldn't recommended 4gb with Vista, if you're running a high end rig you'd do much better off with 3gb. On the other hand, your PC is "low end", so its nothing to worry about.

I really don't think that you should upgrade, its a complete waste of money. Buy a new PC, or don't get anything.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Upgrading that thing is ultimately a waste, save your cash til you can build or buy something that'll be worth it.

Why do you say that?

Quote by jgbsmith

I'm running XP, how do I check what version though?

I ran a scan from here: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

It said that even the XP32 will support up to 3 gigs so I should be fine.
Quote by jgbsmith
I did not know that, I was always sure it only supported up to 2GB, I don't know where I got that from. You tend to be more knowledgable on this sort of thing, so ignore me.
It may have been true in the past, XP was pretty limited when it came out, but it defo supports the full amount that a 32bit operating system can handle now, SP2 transformed XP pretty drastically (theoretically 4gb, but limited to less than 3.5ish by hardware and software limitations)
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Why do you say that?
Because by upgrading what you have you're buying yourself another year at most.