Im painting my ibanez gio to look like a frankenstrat. it has a pickguard and i dont plan on painting over it. I was wondering if you actually have to sand the original paint job off before you actually start paining. Also, do you have to remove all the hardware(bridge, pickups, etc) or can you just cover it
yeah..sand it well and take off the hardware b4 sanding and then paint it dude..u using spray paint?
would i still have to remove it if im not painting the pickguard? and yea im using spraypaint
Last edited by damien34 at Mar 11, 2009,
i mean im going to sand the body but would i still have to remove the hardware and stuff
Quote by damien34
Im painting my ibanez gio to look like a frankenstrat. it has a pickguard and i dont plan on painting over it. I was wondering if you actually have to sand the original paint job off before you actually start paining. Also, do you have to remove all the hardware(bridge, pickups, etc) or can you just cover it

Take all of the hardware off.

Wipe the body down with two cloths. One wet with spirit, the other dry, wipe on then dry off, just to get rid of any surface crap.

Block sand the body (abrasive around a flat block) with P220 grit paper. Go diagonally across the body. First one way, then the other way (like an X shape).

Then you should look for any obvious marks in the finish and fill them with epoxy putty, then sand that flat.

Then prime the body with two coats of primer.

When that is dry, block sand that to P220 grit.

Apply a guide coat of contrasting colour (any matt spray paint), mist it over the body.

Block sand again.

Any imperfections will be highlighted by the guide coat.

Fix those.

2 more coats of primer.

Sand to P320-P400 grit.

Apply colour/colours.

Etc.

If that sounds like too much work, then don't bother as you will be wasting your time.

Read the sticky at the top of this forum.
I got a tip. Theres an ultimate refinishing and painting thread. Its stickied at the top of the page.

Next time, use the search bar.
i only want to paint around the pickguard. would removing the pickguard make it easier or is it absolutely neccesary?
Quote by damien34
i only want to paint around the pickguard. would removing the pickguard make it easier or is it absolutely neccesary?

abit of both but it's safer to take it off
use montana spray paint, belton, or alien...high quality paint for atleast 8 or 9 dollars but u have to be with an adult in a graffiti shop..dont use cheap paint like painters touch or rust o leaum use krylon atlest or w/e but yeah u can get them brands at a graffiti shop..