Ive been wanting a new amp for a while now, I like how versatile modeling amps are and have been thinking about getting a Line 6 spider valve 212 but I have also seen some used Johnson JM 150's at decent prices and am wondering if someone here has some experience with both would give me their opinion on the two

Thanks
Quote by sasmith
Ive been wanting a new amp for a while now, I like how versatile modeling amps are and have been thinking about getting a Line 6 spider valve 212 but I have also seen some used Johnson JM 150's at decent prices and am wondering if someone here has some experience with both would give me their opinion on the two

Thanks

I own a Spider Valve 112 with a few upgrades and I absolutely love it. The 212 is a bit louder, but heavier and harder to move around. Unfortunately you may get flamed for even mentioning a Line 6 prdouct on this forum. Vetta's excluded. Another popular modeling solution is the POD X3 with an Atomic amp. I personally prefer the SV.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Thanks, for your response ---if I get a spider valve it will get the Strymon SV pre mod for sure ----I don't have the time ,money, and energy to buy 5 amps, 50 effects pedals, and 10 guitars so that I can get the exact sound that I want for everything that I play-----If guys who don't like Line 6 can recommend another brand in the same pice range with the same flexability then I would certainly consider other options----

Thanks
By the way Matt, what "push mode" are you using with your Strymon SV pre and what type of music are you typically playing?
I play a lot of 80's metal; Metallica, Megadeth, Ect. I also get a lot of use from the clean blue setting and the twang models. When the mood strikes I get real bluesy won blues amber. I'm currently using the red push mode because it offers the most "true" tube distortion from the SV Pre. Also because it has the most gain it has a lot of range when you start using your guitar volume. I also liked the orange setting. My latest thing was to swap the V30 with a G12K100 which is smoother overall than the V30. Just FYI; clean tones ARE possible with the red push. Its all about the guitar volume. I'm using EMG's with the 18 volt mod as well.
Line 6 M13
I tried a Spider Valve before I got my Marshall and in fairness to it I was quite impressed. It gave a huge array of tones, many of them useable and I could certainly see it's appeal. For me it still sounded too digital so I didn't get it but I've not given up on modeling yet. When the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 gets to the UK in June I'll try that and possibly change my Marshall for it. I'd take a look at that one as a better option than the SV.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I tried a Spider Valve before I got my Marshall and in fairness to it I was quite impressed. It gave a huge array of tones, many of them useable and I could certainly see it's appeal. For me it still sounded too digital so I didn't get it but I've not given up on modeling yet. When the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 gets to the UK in June I'll try that and possibly change my Marshall for it. I'd take a look at that one as a better option than the SV.

Vypyr is not even close to the SV IMHO. Lots of bells and whistles but doesn't live up to the hype. I believe there is a Peavey 6505 combo coming out. Thats the one to wait for.
Line 6 M13
I don't know you budget but a used Vetta II is really great in my opinion. Another thing you could try is a Pod X3 "Bean" and a Atomic Amp for it.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Mar 12, 2009,
spider valve is always good to get cause after awhile if you find yourself wanting better modelling quality you can buy a podxt or podx3 and use it as a preamp and use the SV's power amp tube section... i hear that is a killer combination.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
spider valve is always good to get cause after awhile if you find yourself wanting better modelling quality you can buy a podxt or podx3 and use it as a preamp and use the SV's power amp tube section... i hear that is a killer combination.

Yes, this is a good idea. Theres a lot of people running the M13 with their SV with great results.
Line 6 M13
Quote by Matt in Jerzey
Vypyr is not even close to the SV IMHO. Lots of bells and whistles but doesn't live up to the hype. I believe there is a Peavey 6505 combo coming out. Thats the one to wait for.

The Vypyr Tube 60 isn't available in this country until June at the earliest so obviously I can't say for sure one way or another. All I can say is that I found the SV to be too digital and on the basis that a solid state Vypyr sounds a lot better to me than a solid state Spider, it didn't seem unreasonable to consider looking at the Vypyr Tube 60.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
The Vypyr Tube 60 isn't available in this country until June at the earliest so obviously I can't say for sure one way or another. All I can say is that I found the SV to be too digital and on the basis that a solid state Vypyr sounds a lot better to me than a solid state Spider, it didn't seem unreasonable to consider looking at the Vypyr Tube 60.

I understand the 'too digital' sound you're talking about. The stock JFET on the Spider Valve is not very good and the SV Pre removes it and replaces it with a true 12AX7 preamp.
Line 6 M13
I wish I could combine the SV and Tube 60! The SV seems to be better built, has a better stock speaker and has an effects loop but the Vypyr Tube 60 has more effects and amp options that are also more tweakable. I'm looking to replace my Marshall with more of an all in one solution but with the SV I'd need to still buy effects pedals to go with it and on that basis I'd be as well keeping the Marshall. The Vypyr Tube 60 does more but with no effects loop I can't easily add to it if I wanted to and there is the question of reliability.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1