Hey guys, I kinda stopped playing guitar after this topic because I had literally way too much stuff to do. Now march break is coming up and I wont be busy until the summer so I want to improving my guitar playing . Anyways heres my last topic and if you guys have time could you please read it. After doing so or you dont have to, I was wondering if its nessary to learn power chords? I tried like a min ago and its a big finger stretchers for those chords :S.

Heres my last topic
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078442&highlight=ash+like+snow

Justinguitar (Im on the basic Rock lesson BC-016)
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Thanks guys

P.S. Sorry if I sound rude here, I was typing really fast because I have to get off the computer soon so Im sorry guys.
Quote by Intercrew
Hey guys, I kinda stopped playing guitar after this topic because I had literally way too much stuff to do. Now march break is coming up and I wont be busy until the summer so I want to improving my guitar playing . Anyways heres my last topic and if you guys have time could you please read it. After doing so or you dont have to, I was wondering if its nessary to learn power chords? I tried like a min ago and its a big finger stretchers for those chords :S.

Heres my last topic
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078442&highlight=ash+like+snow

Thanks guys

P.S. Sorry if I sound rude here, I was typing really fast because I have to get off the computer soon so Im sorry guys.

tune the guitar down to drop d
and then you can just bar the fret and SUPRISE
its a power chord
(the song u are playing must be in standard tuning though)
Well I want to play almost anything just not those scremo/hard trash metal/ cant understand what the singer is saying kind of music.
Quote by Intercrew
Well I want to play almost anything just not those scremo/hard trash metal/ cant understand what the singer is saying kind of music.

then you dont need to learn power chords
all i saw on your other thread was a wall of text. i even said so on the other thread i said "all i can see is a wall of text"

If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Nah it's necessary but powerchords do have their place in non-metal music. It also really isn't much of a stretch.
Wait you just said for non-metal music? Thats means I should learn it because I dont want to play metal kind of music.
Yes you should learn power chords and how they're created. They're not a big stretch at all, just keep trying to stretch them and eventually it will be easy. I can reach at least 3 frets away with my index and middle without pain so just keep practicing.
If you are planning to play rock definitely learn power chords.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
You never need to specifically LEARN power chords.

A power chords is just a root and 5th with an optional octave, or to put it simply the bottom 2 or 3 notes of a "normal" chord. That means if you just learn chords as normal then you're already learning powerchords along the way.

However, from a technical point of view you need to be able to play them -like I said, they're simply a part of a full chord so if you can't play the powerchord derived from it you're not going to be able to play the full chord either.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
One thing you really NEED to learn is how to overcome the seemingly impossible. People saying powerchords are easy aren't wrong, but they are forgetting what it's like to be a beginner. The stretch is a bit much at first but you will get used to it with practice. If you want to learn guitar, it's all uphill I'm afraid.
Last edited by Johnny_Ibanez at Mar 12, 2009,
+1
I don't think they are particularly easy from a beginner point of view.

Moving a shape around whilst maintaining a 2 fret interval that changes as you move is a lot harder than holding down a static chord shape.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

If you're struggling to reach try playing a bit higher up the neck - then when you can reach there comfortably gradually start moving back down til you can reach in first position. It won't take long before you can reach across a couple of frets comfortably - unless you have managed to get your hand into a really awkward position.

A normal chord is root, 3rd, 5th - a powerchord is just root, 5th ... so no you don't need to specifically learn powerchords, as they are just part of a normal triad. But as a beginner its worth getting used to play powerchords as they will enable you to play a lot of relatively simple songs quite quickly.

Don't expect to be able to play anything you try instantly - it all takes practice but its worth it
Quote by Intercrew

Heres my last topic

Thanks guys

Yes, power chords are pretty much neccesary. I suppose you can get by with just playing regular chords, but that's about you will really be able to play. Power chords are part of the real basics. It's almost like saying "Hey, I want to cook, but I have no idea how to make cereal, is that a problem?". As someone else said, playing guitar is an uphill battle, there will be times where it will your hurt your hands, or when it seems impossible and frustraiting. But the key is to keep going at it.

Quote by Intercrew

Also, as a side note, this is a really bad way of viewing any genre of music from a musician's point of view. There is a lot of technicality and talent that goes into "can't hear what the singer is saying" kind of music. You don't have to like it, by no means am I saying you do. But having a thought process like that in music will only hinder you greatly.
Quote by Dragonblood21
Yes, power chords are pretty much neccesary. I suppose you can get by with just playing regular chords, but that's about you will really be able to play. Power chords are part of the real basics. It's almost like saying "Hey, I want to cook, but I have no idea how to make cereal, is that a problem?". As someone else said, playing guitar is an uphill battle, there will be times where it will your hurt your hands, or when it seems impossible and frustraiting. But the key is to keep going at it.

Not really, it's more like saying "Do i need to learn how to make cereal if i want to learn how to cook?"

The answer is no, because one of the core skills you'll learn in most recipes is how to pour two things together into a bowl - the process of learning something more complex teaches you the skills required to to something simpler. Powerchords aren't really a basic concept in guitar, they come somewhere further along - just because they only use two fingers doesn't make them basic, the important thing is knowing WHY you're using those two fingers and what that powerchord is derived from.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 12, 2009,