My guitar teacher says that a Cab barely affects the tone at all and advised me to get a cheap cab, but I'm not so sure he's quite right... So does it not really affect the tone?
Feed your mind.
hmmmm, what kind of teacher do you have. To say the cab doesnt' effect tone is like saying you guitar doesnt effect tone
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Maybe to the untrained ear, but cabs can make the difference in liking an amp or not. Some bring out too much of bass, mid, etc, and some just sound weak and small. Speakers also play a huge role.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
the cad significantly affects tone...id say as much as a guitar does if not more. a cheap cab can be good though. it depends on the speakers.
Gibson Special Faded SG with EMG 81 in the bridge
Peavey 6505
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Maxon OD 808
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss Tu-2 Chromatic tuner
Boss Ph-3 Phase Shifter
He's dead wrong.

Don't cheap out on a cab.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
From my personal expriances it can greatly effect tone. Even the greatest amp can sound like a muddy or harsh mess if matched with the wrong cab. Like stated above, to much or to little of one key component can send your tone spiraling into an abyss.

Also its not just a question of cheap or expensive. My cab for example it was a $800 cab and then two upgraded speakers where added in it at $150 a pop so its a $1100 dollar cab. And its giving me hell constantly and not allowing me to get the tone im after. But for someone else its the holy grail. Speakers and cab design cheap or expensive all play a roll on what sound is produced with what amp.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 11, 2009,
it wont affect the tone nearly as much as a head but it still makes a huge difference.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I recently got a 1963 Bassman head and I'm REALLY concerned about buying a cheap cab, as I'm afraid it will rape my tone. However he goes to school for this kinda stuff and says I should just like a 100 dollar peavey 212.
Feed your mind.
you need to get a new teacher because he's tone deaf if he thinks that the cab barely affects tone. The cab affects your tone as much as your amp and guitar (though it does so in a different way)
Quote by Firebread
I recently got a 1963 Bassman head and I'm REALLY concerned about buying a cheap cab, as I'm afraid it will rape my tone. However he goes to school for this kinda stuff and says I should just like a 100 dollar peavey 212.

hate to say it but he's wrong. i am a complete tone nut and i have used a bunch of different cabs of varying prices and i can definately tell a big difference between them.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
for the easiest comparison, how does a cab made out of plywood compare to a cab made of particle board? how about a cab made of plastic? speakers are important too, but the structure of the cab is most important for your resonance, especially for bass. why do you think Marshall MG cabs are $280 and an orange cab goes for $1k?
Remember, guitar teachers only know some music theory and how to play cover songs. Their knowledge ends there. I see and hear this all the time.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Remember, guitar teachers only know some music theory and how to play cover songs. Their knowledge ends there. I see and hear this all the time.

Quote by Van Noord

Don't jump to conclusions. SOME guitar teachers only know some music theory and how to play cover songs, others know that and also have a lot of knowledge on gear and other stuff.
For me personally - it is 1/3 of my tone.

1/3 Guitar
1/3 Amp
1/3 Cab

and yeah, the cables...

But it is massively important!
well from what i've learned, never buy any cheap/discount piece of musical equipment. you really do get what you pay for when buying music gear. you definitely want to get a nice cab, nothing extremely expensive but stay away from the low-end discounted crap.
Cabs affect tone. Wood affects tone. Open/closed back applications definitely affect tone(bass response).
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
That would be like buying a 10k stereo for your car but get the super cheap walmart speakers for it because cheap ones are just as good as expensive ones. Your teacher is dead wrong on this.
Could it be that maybe your teacher meant to say that it wont make a difference because of where your skill level and technique are at right now?
Last edited by 667 at Mar 12, 2009,
Its not the most important factor in your tone, but it does contribute. I still use my old MG cab at practice, but theres a huge difference between it and my Windsor cab...even though the Windsor cab has terrible low end. The small things affect the sound of a cab quite a bit too...doing those sealing/soldering mods from that video made a big difference in the sound of my cabs as well.
Quote by Nims
Seriously dude just buy an Avatar cab and get it over with.

<3
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by guitarsftw
dude, he's dead wrong, why do you think there is such price variation among cabs?

It'll be either completely ****e, decent, or amazing depending on the quality of the speakers and on the quality of the wood used in the casing.

The cheapest cabs will be chipboard or particle board with no-name crappy speakers.

Then you'll have your all-plywood cabs with either no name or semi-decent speakers. They're fine for most guitarists but if you're a tone junkie they just won't do. I myself use a plywood fender fm412 slanted enclosure with eminance designed fender speakers, and it's fine, but if i had the money I'd upgrade.

The most expensive will be solid wood with eminance or celestions, which should sound amazing, but make sure the speakers you're getting are voiced to the tone you want. You will find all the info on speakers along with some audio samples on the celestion (i think) and eminance websites.

Hope this helps, and try the fender cab - it's great value for money at only about €400 new (same in dollars).

Alternatively.... You could save a bunch by getting a banged up old marshall cab that doesn't work and putting in some new cones, but i'd say you'd be looking for a while to find one worth using.
oh dear, not another one of these "my teacher is an idiot when it comes to gear" threads. Because he/she is.

get a good cab. getting a bad cab is a bit like buying a ferrari, and then ripping the engine out to replace it with a yugo engine. and then filling it up with cooking oil instead of decent petrol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh dear, not another one of these "my teacher is an idiot when it comes to gear" threads. Because he/she is.

get a good cab. getting a bad cab is a bit like buying a ferrari, and then ripping the engine out to replace it with a yugo engine. and then filling it up with cooking oil instead of decent petrol.

Wouldn't it be more like buying a ferrari and putting daewoo lanos wheels on it?
i have no idea about cars, they just seem like the closest analogy that most people seem to understand
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gerardwayne
It'll be either completely ****e, decent, or amazing depending on the quality of the speakers and on the quality of the wood used in the casing.

The cheapest cabs will be chipboard or particle board with no-name crappy speakers.

Then you'll have your all-plywood cabs with either no name or semi-decent speakers. They're fine for most guitarists but if you're a tone junkie they just won't do. I myself use a plywood fender fm412 slanted enclosure with eminance designed fender speakers, and it's fine, but if i had the money I'd upgrade.

The most expensive will be solid wood with eminance or celestions, which should sound amazing, but make sure the speakers you're getting are voiced to the tone you want. You will find all the info on speakers along with some audio samples on the celestion (i think) and eminance websites.

Hope this helps, and try the fender cab - it's great value for money at only about €400 new (same in dollars).

Alternatively.... You could save a bunch by getting a banged up old marshall cab that doesn't work and putting in some new cones, but i'd say you'd be looking for a while to find one worth using.

There's a Used Fender FM412 at my local music shop for 190 bucks. I'm thinking of trying it out with the 63' Bassman Head on Monday. Do you think with the stock speakers it'll sound alright? I think I might get it even if the tone isn't quite right, cause then I could keep my current amp, my Blues Junior. Which isn't gonna work for live situations but its small and easy to carry around to say a jam or Jazz Band or the likes.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i have no idea about cars, they just seem like the closest analogy that most people seem to understand

The engine of a car would have more in common with the head I'd imagine

The wheel idea is cool.
Quote by Firebread
There's a Used Fender FM412 at my local music shop for 190 bucks. I'm thinking of trying it out with the 63' Bassman Head on Monday. Do you think with the stock speakers it'll sound alright? I think I might get it even if the tone isn't quite right, cause then I could keep my current amp, my Blues Junior. Which isn't gonna work for live situations but its small and easy to carry around to say a jam or Jazz Band or the likes.

If the tone isn't right for you, don't buy it, but I'm sure it will be fine. Also I got a new one for €200 so it seems a bit pricey to be honest.

When I said 400 earlier I think what I meant was the the amp and head cost me just over 400. Apologies.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The engine of a car would have more in common with the head I'd imagine

The wheel idea is cool.

i dunno. how much do wheels affect the driving?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't spend $200 on a cheap frontman cab with cheap speakers, when $3xx will get you a great cab with great speakers. At the risk of sounding like a broken record here...

www.avatarspeakers.com

You've got a great head, don't cheap out on the cab.

-J!
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno. how much do wheels affect the driving?

Tires are actually a great analogy for cabs, because not only do they have a HUGE effect on many characteristics of a car, but just like cabs, many people completely overlook their importance.

-J!
The speaker will matter most of all, wood\material much less as long as its braced well. Some sepakers, make less difference then others. For istance ampeg, so much tone comes from their cabs it is unbleievable. Sealed cabs more punch, reflex cabs, btter response etc. And it depends on your head, more colourful, less clourful. But in the end i wouldnt take the consideration of a cabs tone into a huige factor.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Nims
Tires are actually a great analogy for cabs, because not only do they have a HUGE effect on many characteristics of a car, but just like cabs, many people completely overlook their importance.

-J!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It does.

I was at Guitar Center and the only good amp that was plugged in was a Marshall JVM but it was going through a valveking cab. The one going through the 1960 wasn't plugged into the power outlet, so I just tried to use the other one. It sounded bad through the valveking cab, meanwhile last time I tried it when it was through a 1960 cab it sounded loads better.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Nims
Don't spend $200 on a cheap frontman cab with cheap speakers, when $3xx will get you a great cab with great speakers. At the risk of sounding like a broken record here...

www.avatarspeakers.com

You've got a great head, don't cheap out on the cab.

-J!

I would hardly call Avatars great cabs, they're ok, very good for the money you pay for them, but if you're talking great, then you'll be spending several hundred dollars for an unloaded cab.