So, after about a year and a half of playing my guitar as a hobby, I've come to realize ..

My bedroom amp just doesn't cut it tonally anymore. I've gotten good at enough at what I love to play (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Children of Bodom, BFMV, etc) that I've shifted the focus from what I'm doing to what I'm hearing. Since I don't have to look at the fretboard, concentrate on those muted chugs and gallops, make sure I'm cross-picking correctly, I've noticed my distorted tone is just crap. It's thin, it's digital, and it bugs me.

My main axe is an ESP LTD V-500 with dual EMG 81's and it's a very solid axe. I'm a college (also read as BROKE AS ****) student who lives from paycheck to paycheck and zzsounds / americanmusical have been a godsend in gearing me up slowly thanks to their pay as you play features. I could finance some stuff .. but I don't need anymore debt and crap as it is. This makes it rather difficult to buy anything at all, and why used isn't much of an option unless it's really cheap and I have some time to save up for it.

So the question is, would I be satisfied with the Peavey 6505 Combo amp? I can make the payments (albeit with some help by clocking in a few more hours at work .. ) on this amp from americanmusical, and I've heard it's one of the premier metal amps. I would consider the stack but I don't need anything that big and I move my current amp from home, to friend's houses/garages, my apartament, etc. So the stack would be an annoyance to move, plus the fact I could only afford the head and no cab, haha.

I also looked into Bugera 'cause of my tight budget, and am curious if I should just go with the Peavey because of the supposed reliability issues Bugera has. I don't want to waste a lot of time sending it to be repaired, etc, as the cost might end up being more than the Peavey over a long time period!

So with that being said, do y'all have any opinions on what I should do?
the 05+ 1x12 combo is near the same price as a bugera, $540ish i think but they aren't for sale yet as far as i know

edit: available some time this summer if you can wait
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Mar 11, 2009,
You think they'll pop up on zZsounds or American Musical in a timely manner? I wouldn't mind waiting, but you know, the whole instant gratification thing is a pretty overwhelming attribute to us who lack will power, hehe.
I love my 5150 combo. Sure, it's heavy as hell, but it sounds great for what I do (metal). You might want to avoid the whole "new" thing though. You can score a 5150 combo for the price of a new Bugera if you look around a bit. So if you are set on that amp, that's the route I'd take. All you gotta do is put ~$50 aside each pay-check and stop going out to party for a while and you'll be able to afford one in a couple months without having to finance.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I'd wait. You won't get the buyers remorse psych out with the Peavey....
even though tone wise, you probably would be very happy with either.

The Bugera is a lot of bang for the buck, but it is 120w. Both are overkill for you, but the 6505+ is a bit more reasonable. The only thing that could be better about the Peavey is it could have been made in the USA... but that's another story... a couple of stories actually.
Quote by mogar
I love my 5150 combo. Sure, it's heavy as hell, but it sounds great for what I do (metal). You might want to avoid the whole "new" thing though. You can score a 5150 combo for the price of a new Bugera if you look around a bit. So if you are set on that amp, that's the route I'd take. All you gotta do is put ~$50 aside each pay-check and stop going out to party for a while and you'll be able to afford one in a couple months without having to finance.

+1
Update on my situation!

I can afford the Peavey 6505 Combo new with a little help from my sis (long story, but it ends with her being a badass, though), I just really would like to have that warranty on a new item rather than deal with issues of a used one (I've had bad experience in the past with used items, which is prolly' why my opinion now is so jaded).

Thinking about it, I was fairly close to settling on a Bugera but all I hear is a lot of bad reliability problems about them and I'd rather not deal with that. One thing that I did like is that for the price, I could get a head and cab to make a halfstack. Although, that was simply a "I wanted to look cool" thing and realized that it doesn't matter since I don't play live shows. That and lugging around all the stuff would be so much more complicated than just carrying the combo.

So all in all, I'm expecting to get my metal on when that thing gets here! HELL YEAH!
Current Gear:

Martin DX-1
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD V-500 w/ EMG 81/81
Dean Z (Explorer) w/ SD SH-4/TB-4
Marshall 2x12 w/ GT12T-75's
Bugera 6262 Head w/ JJ 6L6's
Various Effects Pedals