Hey i'm kinda lost as to what kind of pedal i should get. Currently i'm playing classic rock beats like Guns N Roses, AC DC, ZZ Top, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd Nirvana and still mixing in the pop punk like blink 182, New Found Glory.

Currently i have a plain ol Boss DS-1....non-modded.

What would you recommend? Overdrive, Distortion, or a Fuzz pedal?
What is the difference between a distortion and a fuzz like the big muff?

Hoping you guys can help me out before i buy something.

Currently playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard into a Blackheart Little Giant
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
MXR 104+ distortion maybe, great for classic.

I have a DS-1 also and I think that you should see if you can get your keeley modded. They absolutely blow away the unmodded ones. They'll get a lot of the tones you want.

You're DS-1 is fine for Nirvana and grunge even unmodded

For classic rock maybe you should look at an OD pedal like a bad monkey, Fulltone OCD or tubescreamer, and before the trolls attack I mean run it into the clean channel, not as a boost
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
There is no clean on a blackheart...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
+1 for the Fulltone OCD though. I use the thing as my go-to overdrive/distortion, and regardless of genre or tonal requirements, it works wonders.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
can you guys tell me what the Big Muff is used for then? Is that not considered a 'distortion'?
My Gear
Bugera 6262 combo
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
The Big Muff is a fuzz pedal. It has a different tone.

Listen to some White Stripes stuff to hear what an American Big Muff sounds like, and some early Smashing Pumpkins for what a Russian Big Muff sounds like (although Billy Corgan's Muff was modded).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Those are not true bypass are they?
My Gear
Bugera 6262 combo
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I'm not sure, doesn't really matter though, your vox wah and boss ds1 aren't true bypass either.

A fuzz can sound farty and blatty at extreme settings especially on bass strings, at lower settings it's a bit harder to describe. Fuzz is fuzz. The muff is a more focused (imo) fuzz which lends it to sounding somewhat like a fuzzy distortion.

Distortion pedals use hard clipping. They are clearer sounding (usually) and sharper than fuzz. There's a huge variety from the plain jane ds1 all the way to distortions that do a pretty good marshall impression. Many work well as a gritty boost on a tube amp.

Overdrives are distortion pedals designed to sound like an overdriven tube amp. They tend to have less gain and since they're designed to sound like tube amps they do a good job boosting tube amps if they can get past unity gain.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If price isn't a huge concern, check out the Visual Sound V2 Jekyll and Hyde, it provides a solid overdrive and distortion which, combined with an amp that already does cleans well, can cover almost any genre except VERY distorted metal
my russian big muff sounds awesome on my Valve JR. you might check out the EXH big muff w/tone wicker great pedal at a good price. imo the russian muff has the best sound a little tighter and sharper sounding. either one will for sure fatten up your tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbzsbc_vqVw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cwFPBYhC3A&feature=related
Last edited by mmjohn at Mar 12, 2009,