Wondering what people's thoughts are on what instrument cables are the best for remaining kink/coil free. I roam a lot when i practice and really hate the tangles and kinks that develop. Obviously, I'm in the market for a new, good cable and would like advice/suggestions. Thanks.
I've thought about those coil type cords before, but am always hesitant as I don't want there to be a "pull" on my guitar when the cord stretches.

What about braided/woven cables? Do they have a tendency to kink/coil/tangle less that a pcv cable? I've never played with one.
You could learn how to wrap your cables. There's a specific way to do it, look it up.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Mogami 2524 cable is remarkably flexible and quite forgiving. Also look at Spectraflex cables.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
If you wind them up and put them away neatly you shouldn't have any trouble...
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by Kendall
Mogami 2524 cable is remarkably flexible and quite forgiving. Also look at Spectraflex cables.

+1
Mogamis are pretty nice. Also, Analysis Plus cables are a great value, & are VERY difficult to kink. Also, they're very light weight.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Why don't you just wind your cables up right the first time? I roam a lot too, and never have had a problem with my cables getting kinky...

And get those coily cables. They're pretty cool, I guess....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I actually tangled the coily cables more than straight ones. Go figure.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by jwfold
I've thought about those coil type cords before, but am always hesitant as I don't want there to be a "pull" on my guitar when the cord stretches.

What about braided/woven cables? Do they have a tendency to kink/coil/tangle less that a pcv cable? I've never played with one.

The coil cables are a disaster if they do get tangled. The woven ones retain their shape, so you need to wrap them the right way to keep them from staying coiled.
Quote by apollo66
I actually tangled the coily cables more than straight ones. Go figure.

I can see how that would happen

Just like ****ing phone cords. I swear they were engineered to piss people off
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
THe ones with the thready polyester fabricy meshy lining don't seem to tangle as much as the bare rubber ones. Or so i've found...
OK, well, despite being a sailor and thinking I know how to coil my cable, I think i've been botching it pretty good, which, has assuredly led to excess kinks.

As for coiling after every time I play, I have to be honest with myself and question my dedication and persistence in this regard as sometimes I like to just power down and be off.

Wireless would be great, but far to $$$ right now.

Any thoughts on the woven/fabric covered cables??
Quote by jwfold

IMO the woven cables are harder to uncoil after they do their intertwine thing - when you try to shake them to get them to come apart, they want to stay. The rubberized ones seem to want to uncoil their energy more readily. It kind of makes sense when you think about it... being rubber and all.

Get Monsters.... GC and Daddy's exchanges them with no questions and no reciept.
Last edited by 667 at Mar 12, 2009,
I like planet waves, never had any problems with them.

Wrapping your cables correctly should prevent any coils or kinks. If you're playing and it occurs, I dunno, maybe if you turn all the way around one way, make sure you turn the other way just as often.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by jwfold
OK, well, despite being a sailor and thinking I know how to coil my cable, I think i've been botching it pretty good, which, has assuredly led to excess kinks.

As for coiling after every time I play, I have to be honest with myself and question my dedication and persistence in this regard as sometimes I like to just power down and be off.

Wireless would be great, but far to $$$ right now.

The woven ones generally won't get tangled to readily. You'd have to be quite careless IMO, and I've always fount that the plain plastic/pvc cables end up in a huge knot on the floor of my practice space. I got a nice woven cable back in '03 and I still use it as my main cable today. Invest about €30 or €40 on a decent woven cable and you won't regret it. Got mine in sam ash in NY when I was over there one Christmas. I think it's a D'addario, I can't really remember, and I have it that long that the logo's worn off
Last edited by gerardwayne at Mar 12, 2009,