So it began with this. I have a Starcaster that my brother basically lets me use, because he mainly plays bass and doesn't like the guitar all too much. So really its just about mine. For those who don't know, its basically a really really really cheap strat. Probably cheaper than a Squire, I see them for sale at best buy in a starter pack for 150 bucks.

Anyway I was thinking of modifying it, upgrading it and sorts, sticking a maple neck on it, painting it, replacing pups and such. But after talking to my brother it doesn't seem like he wants any huge work done to it since its his. In a few months I'm looking to buy some kind of Epiphone Les Paul, standard or Custom. I know that the pickups that come in them are kind of bland and muddy, so i was thinking I could replace them with something nicer (I don't know what) and then stick the stock Epi pups in my starcaster after some wood adjustments. Would that be difficult? Keep in mind the guitar is HSS.

Well my brother had the idea of if I wanted a double humbucker guitar to just buy his roomates' washburn guitar. The biggest point is this:
-he's replaced the pups with Gibson '57 classic humbuckers.

Are these any good?

Because I was thinking I could buy the guitar, switch those buckers out with the stock Epi ones in the future Les Paul, and but the stock Epi's back into the Washburn.

Good Idea?

Also, the Gibson pups have a gold cover, and the Epi's have a chrome/silver one, can you switch those easily?

Also his roomate is looking to sell the thing for pretty cheap too, like 200 bucks or less, which is awesome considering it costs 120 for one of these pickups alone.

In general I'm wanting the Les Paul to be like my main guitar, and I'd like something just on the side for alternate tunings mainly, and doesn't need to be that good of quality.

I'm looking to find out what kind of guitar this Washburn is, I think it's kind of like a PRS copy.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm just looking for opinions.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Don't put any money into that Starcaster. The Washburn prs copy sounds like the old RS series from the early '90s. They aren't too bad. If you can, try and get a pic of the washburn or look for a model name/number on it so we can pinpoint what it is and if it's worth it to buy it.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
Don't put any money into that Starcaster. The Washburn prs copy sounds like the old RS series from the early '90s. They aren't too bad. If you can, try and get a pic of the washburn or look for a model name/number on it so we can pinpoint what it is and if it's worth it to buy it.

from what i can tell it seems like its not bad, certainly better than the starcaster.

I'm going to try by tonight so stay tuned.

It was this guy's starter guitar, if that helps.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Just remember to get a model name/number off of it.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
honestly, spending heaps of money on pick ups and putting them into a cheap guitar isn't a great idea. having the same pickups in a gibson as in an epiphone will not make them sound the same. the wood and build of the guitar have a big impact on the tone. nice pickups in an epiphone will probably sound pretty nice but i'm just saying not to expect amazing things from a not so amazing guitar.

on topic, dont touch the starcaster, i'm not sure about the washburn but an epi with different pickups should be nice.

EDIT: also make sure the wiring is good when swapping out the pickups. the stock epiphone wiring is rubbish which contributes to the dodgier tone.
Last edited by joe_k at Mar 11, 2009,
^thanks for the info, well this sounds like a steal, i love the playability/price of the epi's, and I could pickup up a guitar for the price of the upgraded pups so i don't think its huge money on it.

anyone know anything about the '57's?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE