Well, I'm in a pickle.

I've come close to getting something moving, but everytime I get close enough, everything falls apart. First, drummer moves, no more band for me. Second, Rhythm guitarist gets expelled, done. Third, possible singer goes to a different band...I get screwed again. Everyone says I'm good, which I hold no credit over...and frankly it irritates me, but even still. No band. It irritates me....I want to get out and play with other musicians, but A. No one is looking for a guitarist, and B. No one plays with 7 string guitars up where I live.

Ideas?

Thanks.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Well... Where do you live bro?
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Then play with a 6 string guitar until you find a band and then try implementing your 7 string once you've gotten things rolling.
In southern Cali, hardcore central unfortunately =/, no one where I live has any interest in playing something other than deathcore or metalcore.

EDIT:
Quote by bderivan
Then play with a 6 string guitar until you find a band and then try implementing your 7 string once you've gotten things rolling.

I've tried that. Several times.

Nothing ever worked out, due to the fact that they wanted a drop tuning, and when I got to it, they didnt want it anymore, and then they got in trouble in some way, and everything fell apart. I just recently obtained my 7 stringer, so thats of no big issue, its the FINDING of a band I have trouble with.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Mar 11, 2009,
Don't play the 7th string? haha try craigslist or classifieds for musicians.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
-_-

The 7 string isnt the problem, and I casnt seem to find any musicians on craigslist.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Post ads at music schools in the neigbhorhood and at websites that many users are from your area.

Don't worry about the 7-stringer, you could even have 1 guitarist, 1 keyboard, bass, vocal and drummer :P This way there is no problem aobut second guitarist having a 7-stringer
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Post up ads on internet sites - craigslist, gumtree, UG etc.

Put ads up in local music shops

Put ads up on any classifieds/notice boards you can find in your area

Scout out friends that have an interest in taking up an instrument
I spent almost two years finding the current members of my band, and we still haven't found a decent drummer yet.

Some cities have online forums to promote local musicians, where people can look for group members, sell equipment, and stuff like that. That's how my band was formed. Also, before accepting anyone, get a feel of their personality, if they seem like someone who won't bother to turn up 80% of the time, don't bother.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by valennic
Well, I'm in a pickle.

I've come close to getting something moving, but everytime I get close enough, everything falls apart. First, drummer moves, no more band for me. Second, Rhythm guitarist gets expelled, done. Third, possible singer goes to a different band...I get screwed again. Everyone says I'm good, which I hold no credit over...and frankly it irritates me, but even still. No band. It irritates me....I want to get out and play with other musicians, but A. No one is looking for a guitarist, and B. No one plays with 7 string guitars up where I live.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Go solo until you find people you like, even if they aren't the best musicians, if they have the same mindset as you then they can learn later. Hang out at concerts or places other musicians hang out you'll find somebody eventually.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by soundgarden19
Go solo until you find people you like, even if they aren't the best musicians, if they have the same mindset as you then they can learn later. Hang out at concerts or places other musicians hang out you'll find somebody eventually.

definately this

or, go on myspace and put "looking for guitarist" in the band search engine and do within like a 50 mile radius. something will come up.

just build bridges with a bunch of local bands. that way, if a guitarist ever quits, they know you and they know you play guitar. thats how i got in my band. they always came into subway where i work and got food, and i knew they were a band so i always made conversation. then bada bing bada boom, im in a band.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
I had the same prob 4 a while and all I did 4 a few months was post adds on places the 1 that worked the best was the myspace classifieds so that's wat I'd recomend and good luck bro no mater how hard keep on rockin
\m/ metal up your ass
don't sweat it dude, I've been in the same situation many times. As some others have said, its more important finding people with the dedication to be in a band rather than people who are really talented (but finding both in one is never a bad thing )

Also, take advantage of the time you're on your own and try to expand your own musical palette. Like, i've been out of a band for a while now, but in the downtime i've been learning bass and piano. Now I found some friends who are starting a band and need a bassist. sure, its not guitar, but hey, I just wanna jam with other musicians. It all comes in time dude, good luck finding a band!
Alot of the myspace and jam suggestions are good-going solo is good-look closer than you think. And some bands are solo! Try getting together with your friend's band. Play their style than slowly try to implement you style and see you go from there.
Quote by 3BlindMyceZeke
Alot of the myspace and jam suggestions are good-going solo is good-look closer than you think. And some bands are solo! Try getting together with your friend's band. Play their style than slowly try to implement you style and see you go from there.

Just make sure that when you're trying to implement your own style, be chill about it.

Right now, I've got a bassist who's trying to shove his love of metal down our throats, and we're not receiving it too well, if you know what I mean.
it took me 4 or fives times to start one as well, odds are your looking to hard or in the wrong spot.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I thought california would be one of the best places to find musicians.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
The TS is right, too much f'ing "-core." (In southern cali that is.) Been trying to find something myself too, but I'm still not that great a player.
Last edited by -Raiden- at Mar 22, 2009,