Poll: MI Audio Crunch Box or Fulltone OCD
Poll Options
View poll results: MI Audio Crunch Box or Fulltone OCD
MI Audio Crunch Box
8 36%
Fulltone OCD
14 64%
Voters: 22.
lol i know i sound like a total noob who asks pointless questions but...

do you prefer the MI Audio Crunch Box or the Fulltone OCD?

to my ears (and these ears are hearing from online demos - thank you proguitarshop - so i know they most likely arent great representatives of the actual sounds) the crunch box sounds sorta like a jtm 45 or a plexi when its controls are at halfway. the ocd sounds like a master volume marshall, but when its in hp mode and the tone is up, it sounds more like a non-master vol marshall.

i play mainly classic rock so i prefer a british style overdrive. but i also need something that can do light overdrive.

i WILL be testing these pedals soon when i go to the US but for now i just want to know what other people think.

im sorry if im bugging you with my stupid question but please tell me what you think

thanks in advance
The OCD is so incredibly eargasmic your ears will unleash a torrent of jizz, unlike anything else.
Traynor YCV40
Modded Gibson SG
Gibson CS-356
1973 Fender Bassman
Fulltone OCD
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Quote by SRVspeaks
The OCD is so incredibly eargasmic your ears will unleash a torrent of jizz, unlike anything else.

lol i'll keep that in mind
From the videos I really like the crunch box. I like how it isn't as transparent and seems to impose it's own tone. I'm looking for a british od as well and it's high on my list, especially considering the price.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Crunch Box doesn't do light OD very well. I use it for high-gain dist. and then I use my OCD for most OD.
Quote by Kevin Saale
From the videos I really like the crunch box. I like how it isn't as transparent and seems to impose it's own tone. I'm looking for a british od as well and it's high on my list, especially considering the price.

i've been addicted to the OCD videos for a long time... neglecting other od pedals... but ever since i heard the crunch box, i was like OMGOMGOMGOMG cuz it sounded so trebly but not bad trebly you know? sorta like the high treble channel of a plexi or a jtm 45. mmmm
^Exactly, I love those uppers mids. One of my favorite marshall tones is from the scorpions song black out and I think the CB could do that perfectly.
For brit crunch the MI Audio Crunchbox is it.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=151&CategoryID=156

This pedal is way up there for me aswell. More expensive than the ocd, but it sounds great none the less

edit: and the solidstate version http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1207&CategoryID=
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Mar 11, 2009,
Isn't the OCD an overdrive and the Crunchbox a Distortion?
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Kevin Saale
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=151&CategoryID=156

This pedal is way up there for me aswell. More expensive than the ocd, but it sounds great none the less

edit: and the solidstate version http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1207&CategoryID=

i bought an Ibanez Tube King last christmas and it makes my SS fender sound warm and smoother compared to its amp transistor distortion. lol. i never regret buying that pedal. it was my first and so far the best hahaha. but yeah im looking for something that will come in handy when i buy a tube amp. the tube king will be overkill. thats why im debating over an OCD or a crunch box...
Quote by DeltaFunk

now that you mention that, i DO notice the OCD to have more low end and it is smoother. the crunchbox is throatier and has more mids i think.
Quote by DeltaFunk

Technically, yes, but the OCD has a ton of gain on hand.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Technically, yes, but the OCD has a ton of gain on hand.

to me, what the OCD lacks is the throatiness of the crunchbox. i love that mid freq distortion.
Yar, the ocd is more transparent and has a flatter response so it seems to me.
Quote by fly135

Yes it is... very interesting concept for ultra tight budgets huh? To the TS, they're both good pedals. Use the Force dude!
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by JilaX^
Not really.
Youtube compressed audio isn't the best for audio comparisons
+ Settings and tweakings make all the difference.
That's true. You do have to rely on the ear and honesty of the person making the review. So unless you have done the test yourself, you can't disqualify the results.

I noticed in your profile you have an OCD. If could find a Cool Cat Drive, you could do a test and let us know.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 12, 2009,
Quote by papersun87
The Crunch Box with the gain knob around noon with your bridge pickup is Plexi heaven. The Crunch Box with the gain knob around two o'clock with your bridge pickup is JCM 800 heaven. The Crunch Box with the gain knob all the way up with your bridge pickup is teh br00tz.

^+1

great info man thanks a lot!

does anyone know where i would be able to test a crunch box? i live in canada, but im going to detroit for march break.