Ok, so in the town centre in my friends neighbourhood, there is always a patrol of clipboard people asking to sign up to make a monthly donation to the blind, cancer research, red cross or whatever other charity, they call out to passers by and usually, once the person is caught, the only way they can get away from is by either signing up to whatever it is these people want or by being rude and saying they aren't interested, if they corner me i either say i'm under 18 or give them a fake name and adress.

But yesterday, when i was going into the train station, it seems they have set up camp inside the station just outside the barriers, which i am pretty sure is against some sort of law, but they catch people going in and going out of the station, even if the person is in a rush; i saw one woman checking the time table on the monitor above the barriers, then some suited character came up to her asking her if shes interested in signing up for something, she said she was in a rush and had a train to catch and then he said "well the train dosen't leave for another five minutes". today when i went to the station they were still there trying to catch people, its a pisstake, what pisses me off the most about it is, the reason they are so adament for you to sign up is because for every person that signs up, that employee gets a commision, then the person above gets a bonus, and so on and so on.

TL;DR- People are now stationing themselves outside the ticket barriers at train stations asking commuters to sign up to their charity and i'm annoyed about it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
1) Just keep walking, shake your head and say no.

2) I thought that sort of thing was voluntary, I don't think there's commission involved.
Ahhh! This happens to me at uni. They stand outside the main gates/entrance and they step out at you just as you pass them.

So far yesterday, I was asked:

- to do a survey for the heart foundation
- to petition to stop violence against women
- to "save the environment, dude"
- to speak my mind on coffee
- to join the salvation army

It never ends!
Know what's worse than that TS? Clipboard people positioning themselves on campus. Its obvious I'm a freaking student who doesn't have money to give to you!
Just be polite about it. Even if you hate their guts, just walk past and say, "No, thank you."
And board your train.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
I've done that job more than once. The bonus thing is a myth, I was damn good at it and never earnt a penny worth of commision. £6 an hour (£6.50 the second time) for a minimum ten-hour day of being sworn at, ignored, attacked in the street on one occasion, and all the while having to hump around a head full of knowledge about exactly how many people are dying of disease and hunger every minute.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
You think you've got it bad?

I'm friends with the people who run 'student action for refugees' and Amnesty and my uni. I'm forever at their charity events
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by heaven's gate
Know what's worse than that TS? Clipboard people positioning themselves on campus. Its obvious I'm a freaking student who doesn't have money to give to you!

That as well, i am a student without a job, they haven't positioned themselves on my campus yet (although i am transferring later on this year and there may be some on the campus at the next uni), but i don't have a job, i have no income.

Alot of the time though, the people who have approached me have been either roughly the same age as me or not much older than me, so i'm thinking they are probably students as well earning their salt, and unfortunately that involves bugging people, i wouldn't mind if they just had a collection pot or something, in fact, i would be more willing to give money if they had a pot, i have put a decent amount of loose change in the pots, but the fact that these people come up to me, ask me to give them my details and ask me to make a long term subscription puts me right off.
WHOMP

Last edited by donender at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by freedoms_stain

2) I thought that sort of thing was voluntary, I don't think there's commission involved.

The commision is blown out of proportion (it does, theoretically, exist for some agency-based fundraising organisations but it's nothing like as much as a lot of people assume). It is a professional job, however, and I challenge anybody to try and do it for the required hours without getting paid. Also, the process involves setting up a direct debit in the street, would you really trust that to a volunteer over a monitored professional?

EDIT-Donender...understood, but when was the last time you woke up in the morning and thought 'today I'm going to donate to charity'? Sometimes shoving it in peoples faces is the only way to actually get some help.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Last edited by neopowell at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by neopowell
The commision is blown out of proportion (it does, theoretically, exist for some agency-based fundraising organisations but it's nothing like as much as a lot of people assume). It is a professional job, however, and I challenge anybody to try and do it for the required hours without getting paid. Also, the process involves setting up a direct debit in the street, would you really trust that to a volunteer over a monitored professional?

I appreciate that it must be a pretty tough job seeing as some people are just rude bastards who go to the lengths to abuse these charity workers, and while i have never never sworn at or abused one and never will, i just feel as though if i wanted to sign up for a charity i would do it off my own back rather than have someone guilt me into doing it.
WHOMP

Quote by neopowell
I don't trust anyone with a clipboard on a street with my bank details.

I will never ever give to charity in that way. Ever.
Quote by donender
That as well, i am a student without a job, they haven't positioned themselves on my campus yet (although i am transferring later on this year and there may be some on the campus at the next uni), but i don't have a job, i have no income.

Alot of the time though, the people who have approached me have been either roughly the same age as me or not much older than me, so i'm thinking they are probably students as well earning their salt, and unfortunately that involves bugging people, i wouldn't mind if they just had a collection pot or something, in fact, i would be more willing to give money if they had a pot, i have put a decent amount of loose change in the pots, but the fact that these people come up to me, ask me to give them my details and ask me to make a long term subscription puts me right off.

I'd actually be more willing if they had a collection pot too. You've got two options:

1) If they're the type who engage by saying "hi" first, just say hi back and keep walking. This also brings some minor lulz for you.

2) Just smile, shake your head and say "No, sorry", this is polite. But remember to not slow your walking pace down.