I find that often when I play fast (what I call "fast" lol) stuff, my pinky seems to curl up by my hand. And often, when i play slower licks and chords, my pinky is about half an inch from the fretboard.
I obviously find a problem in this. How can I fix it? I've recently been practicing finger Independence exercises (spider exercises, i believe) and I'm trying to correct it, but does this work to solve my pinky problem? Any suggestions?
All help appceciated
Cheers,
matt
Quote by Freepower
It's not what you do, it's how you're doing it. If you're focusing on keeping your pinky relaxed throughout everything you practice, it'll stay down when you play.

I found this helped me.

Just focus on it relaxing, but be careful that it doesn't touch the fretboard.

I had the same problem you have for the LONGEST time, and occasionally (when I play really slow stuff... lol like 60-80bpm) I still revert back to it...

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Believe it or not, Guitar Hero might help. To reach the orange button you have to use your pink, and if you play on expert you will be using your pinky alot.

If you play guitar, not only will you be using your pinky, but you'll learn to finger seperate strings and shift positions. No offense, but it's like the difference between between being able to stand up and being an acrobat. You won't improve your acrobatics by simply standing a lot.

My controller has 168 buttons and infinite songs, as well as DLC up to the second.
Quote by Freepower
My controller has 168 buttons and infinite songs, as well as DLC up to the second.

Mine only has 138...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by Freepower

If you play guitar, not only will you be using your pinky, but you'll learn to finger seperate strings and shift positions. No offense, but it's like the difference between between being able to stand up and being an acrobat. You won't improve your acrobatics by simply standing a lot.

Mine only has 120 (acoustic), and I can only reach like 72 easily

But it still comes with infinite songs.

(I want to sig your last sentence, but I don't have the signature room.. :p

Quote by Freepower

Dude, I am sure your guitar has 168 notes, and I in no way tried to compare guitar hero to guitar, I was just saying playing guitar hero might help with pinky independence, atleast in the beginning, which it really does. Its actually like comparing football players taking ballet to learn to be "soft" on their feet, but nice try.
Quote by Redwingsrock
Dude, I am sure your guitar has 168 notes, and I in no way tried to compare guitar hero to guitar, I was just saying playing guitar hero might help with pinky independence, atleast in the beginning, which it really does. Its actually like comparing football players taking ballet to learn to be "soft" on their feet, but nice try.

You know what else helps?

Play guitar with your pinky to improve your pinky. Amazing, I know!

That's what he's getting at.

Pressing a button =/= fretting a string

And if GH helped at all at playing guitar, I'd be a much better guitar player then I am now.

Quote by Invokke_Havokk
You know what else helps?

Play guitar with your pinky to improve your pinky. Amazing, I know!

That's what he's getting at.

Pressing a button =/= fretting a string

And if GH helped at all at playing guitar, I'd be a much better guitar player then I am now.

Thats true, but to go from not using your pinky to fretting a string with your pinky can be quite difficult. Guitar hero would atleast help you get used to the idea of using your pinky, no? Its not like I am saying dont play the guitar with your pinky. I was just saying guitar hero might help at first.
Last edited by Redwingsrock at Mar 11, 2009,
Actually, GH cripples guitar playing.

Have you ever get frustrated that you start pressing hard on the buttons to make sure the you play the right "note"?

But let's not make this into Guitar Hero debate...

TS, practice slow. Do some chromatics and follow up with some 3 nps scales, slowly.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Redwing, what help it provides isn't really relevant if you can use your pinky, but need to improve it for more difficult guitar playing, which is what this thread is about - and besides that, any help it provides is far less than simply playing guitar and learning using your pinky.

And as for 168 buttons, I'm just having a laugh. Chill out.
Quote by Freepower
Redwing, what help it provides isn't really relevant if you can use your pinky, but need to improve it for more difficult guitar playing, which is what this thread is about - and besides that, any help it provides is far less than simply playing guitar and learning using your pinky.

And as for 168 buttons, I'm just having a laugh. Chill out. :p
:

I know man, was messing around too. I understand your saying about it not being relevant, but i mean, as an intro for pinky independence, I dont see how it couldnt be beneficial (atleast for beginners, granted that doesnt apply to this thread)

as for an actual suggestion. Try some hammer on/pull of licks with your pinky, but not like trill middle, trill ring, trill pink. Actual pull off licks that start with your pinky.
e|--8--7--7h8p7p5--|--------------5--| Repeat ad
b|-----------------|--8--7--5h7h8----| nauseum

A nice little pinky/ring independence exercise. Only use your 1st, 3rd and 4th fingers - no cheating. Play it high up the fretboard if you find the stretch a bit much. Nice and slowly, don't rush it. You'll want to make sure the hammer-ons and pull-offs are clear, even and consistent before you even think about speeding it up.
I'm not sure this is an specifically an independence thing, it sounds more like an overall tension problem - your hand is trying to turn into a fist, just like your picking hand does if you have tension problems there and try to play too fast.

Only thing too do about that - lots of good, varied practice. Keep the speed moderate, though don't be scared to bump it a bit now and again, but only as fast as you can without tensing up.