Page 1 of 9
So i had a nice piece of alder laying around, and i finally got around to making my angled (2 degrees) neck pocket template, so im gonna build myself a shredder.

flush-mount floyd rose bridge (gotoh)
carved top one piece alder body
one humbucker(bridge)
chrome hardware
undecided on headstock
neck is gonna be white limba/quartersawn pau-ferro (three piece i think)
25.5'' scale on an ebony fretboard with 22 frets.

CHANGES :
walnut/bloodwood neck
bloodwood fretboard with TWENTY SEVEN frets.

this should be fun.
Last edited by LP Addict at Mar 18, 2009,
1: Thought you were done with building? But you did say you had three more in you...
2: Title says pics. Post shows none. I hate you.
3: omgomaomgaomga megaomg. Looks awesome! Though I have never heard of those neck woods. What are they like?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Mar 11, 2009,
I thought the one with the leaf inlays was for yourself? Not that I mind your builds are always awesome just curious.

O and how thick is that alder looks rather husky?
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
teh sex. again.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Finally! Those two minutes were far too long!
Alright, I see what the neck wood looks like now. From what I understand, you plan on doing a threepiece, outer light, inner dark type thing?
If its a shredding guitar, its gotta have 24 frets. It's...required.
The grain on the alder looks really good though. Really really good. Can't wait to see this one go through!
it's all coming back

o.o nice...
what dimensions does that piece has?
I'm planning to make one by myself, but i don't have all the materials ...
Its about 1 7/8'' thick, gonna plane a little bit off, then carve the top about 1/4'' deep, then the belly carve adn stuff will come into play. I think i may do 24 but only on the treble side, cant decide, too early to make a decision.
yum limba
Hows it for necks do you know?

Should get a nice sound from this guitar, are you doing anything to the humbucker - coil split etc?

Can't wait to see this one finished!
15K? Alnico VIII? That will get you some killer shred tones! Handwound I'm guessing?
it's all coming back

surprise! i decided on bloodwood for the fretboard given the fact its 1000 times faster to play on than ebony due to how ridiculous you can polish it

and the rabbet is done for the carved top and roughly drawn.
i can get alnico 8s too
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
how does a fretboard have different speeds, after all you don't touch it with the strings or anything,
the string doesnt but your finger does when you press down on the string and do a bend or wide vibrato. the carve is only a little deeper than 1/4'', but i made it a steep carve so it will be more noticeable. i might have to mkae it a little deeper around the horns because ive still got one more trick up my sleeve.
Quote by LP Addict
also, you know im not much for colors, but i have been thinking about staining the alder to a dark dark almost ebony color to fit the whole metal scene, then finish it with a thick oil/poly.

I usually wouldn't think of alder as much of a candidate for any stain/transparent finish, but that could definitely work
Quote by LP Addict
also, you know im not much for colors, but i have been thinking about staining the alder to a dark dark almost ebony color to fit the whole metal scene, then finish it with a thick oil/poly.

This sounds awesome, If it's anything close to what I have pictured in my head.
------

Shwiggity.
if u mean that its not figured, it doesnt really matter. stain will look good on most light colored woods imho.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i dont know if anyones ever used bloodwood for a fretboard, but it sure is a pain i nthe dick to slot, **** is dense, ebony was easier. okay as far as the stain im trying my hand at making some iron wool + vinegar like they did in ancient times, it chemically reacts with the tanin in the alder (alder has extremely high tanin contents). the advantage to this is that it will be a perfectly even stain given that the tanin is everywhere, it doesnt matter how heavy i whipe it on, it will be the same all over, the disadvantage is that it takes a good week or so to fully dry before i can oil it up.
pfffffffffft 28 is so much better :P
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
ooooh. angled fretboards are nice
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
27 frets? Now we're talking shred.
it's all coming back

beautiful.
just damn beautiful.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking