Well, first off, I would like to personally ask why UG'ers dislike the Marshall MG series so much..

I'm not trying to disagree, I am just curious because I am currently loooking to buy a half stack, and I am willing to spend between 1-2500 dollars.

i was hoping to get the amp by summer (leaning towards one in between 1-2 grand, but i can wait months..i suppose..if it is necessary to get the extra money..)

anyways, i wanna know whats so bad about the MG and also what are some good half stacks that arent too rich for my broke ass...thanks a lot!

if it helps, i play in a pop-punk band, which will mainly be the only act this amp will gig with.
Quote by lobster624
"are you an angel because i have an erection."
Well I dunno the specific reason people dont like MG's cause Ive never tried one

But I know that it wouldnt be a wise choice for a MG half stack, especially since you have a nice price range, because its solid state

With your price range you can get a great tube amp
holy sht man with 2500 why are you even looking at the MG??? go get like a marshall plexi RI and get David Bray to mod it!!! i think it would fit your budget... given you have a cab
1. MG's have very bad distortion, handle pedals very poorly, and have sterile cleans (that IMHO aren't even suitable for jazz)
2. You don't need a halfstack. Settle with a combo. Are you going to be playing at home, with a drummer, or at shows?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
is this in american dollars? and dont buy an mg. the main reason i tell you this is because YOU wont be happy with it.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by theacousticpunk
1. MG's have very bad distortion, handle pedals very poorly, and have sterile cleans (that IMHO aren't even suitable for jazz)
2. You don't need a halfstack. Settle with a combo. Are you going to be playing at home, with a drummer, or at shows?

^+1

get a bluesbreaker or a jcm 800 combo... and eys im a marshall *****
Quote by theacousticpunk

seriously?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
get a jcm 900 for pop punk, i can nail tom delonge's tone standard right now
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
no i don't have a cab,
i need a head + cab
in the 2500 price range..
some of its my dads money though, and i feel kinda bad asking for it, im an independent kinda guy, thats why i was trying to keep it under 2000

but yeah, thanks for some suggestions : )
Quote by lobster624
"are you an angel because i have an erection."
Last edited by -Atticus- at Mar 11, 2009,
if thats your budget go tube at least, look at peavey, carvin, marshall, mesa/boogie, splawn
im trying to save up for a splawn nitro myself, thats one sweet amp
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Stop starting these! Just when there was a few damn cool threads today with the NAD and such - this comes crawling in, bloodied and dirty, smelling of vomit and crap.

Use
The
Search
Bar
To
Find
An
Exact
Same
Thread
From
Less
Than
A
Week
Ago
The Searchbar?

Why doesn't anyone ever ****ing use it!?

I am not in a good mood tonight. Therefore, since you are too lazy to type the words "Marshall MG" into that handy little bar at the top of your screen and then click the "Go!" button, I am considering this spam.

*Reported*
USE THE SEARCHBAR
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
The searchbar should actually be twice the size it is. Then maybe people will notice.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales

Im not even gonna bother helping you since you refuse to use that little bar in the top-right corner.

EDIT:
^^^^^^+1
I'd like to recommend a searchbar.

But not an MG
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
if you have that much money than why are you going solid state?

look into a peavey xxx or jsx man
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
ive only ever tried 1 MG, and i wasnt to impressed, im not booin them or ragging on them but they kinda are overpriced and suckish. im not sure how the new ones are, but the one i tried at my local pawn shop a few months back was an mg250, when i turned it on there was a horrible screech and then it went flat, it was cold and lifeless and sounded worse than the crap amp that i have that im going to replace shortly. maybe there was something wrong with it used, but im a little wary of them. OH, and i almost forgot, for about $2500 you can get a marshall JVM410h, its supposed to have awesome tone and is a tube amp with about 20 built in effects, if i had that kinda money, i would without a doubt buy that
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
you could get something SO much better.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
This thread fails before it starts. IF you're wondering, are you actually READING the threads about the MG? That will answer your question.

Look at a Kustom Double Cross.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
You can save yourself and your dad a ton of money by buying a used JCM 800 and Marshall 1960 cab for about 1000-1200 bucks.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The Searchbar?

Why doesn't anyone ever ****ing use it!?

I am not in a good mood tonight. Therefore, since you are too lazy to type the words "Marshall MG" into that handy little bar at the top of your screen and then click the "Go!" button, I am considering this spam.

*Reported*

soo...

the other mg threads also asked for reccomendations on an amp between $1-2500 preferably cheaper so they could save their dad some money?

im too lazy to check, but i doubt that they do
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Yeah he should have used the searchbar but maybe he was in a rush or something. Serioiusly though, I wouldn't look at an mg if my budget was 150 bucks lol, go buy a nice marshall or used gear if you want to save your dad money.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ