This is probably a really stupid question but what is the function of a ground wire in a strat/strat knockoff and is it really necessary?

Thanks guys
Quote by JUICEBOXZERO93
This is probably a really stupid question but what is the function of a ground wire in a strat/strat knockoff and is it really necessary?

Thanks guys

it completes the curcuit... so yea, its necessary
Ok because I was playing my newly built guitar and became detattched and all that really happened was the guitar hissed when I touched the metal tone knobs but otherwise it played fine so I was just wondering
the (bridge) ground wire connects YOU to ground when you touch the strings. This lessen the effect of YOU coupling ElectroMagnetic energy into your pickups and unshielded wiring in your guitar.

It is not necessary IF you don't mind the added hum.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Its also possible to shock yourself without a ground wire.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
how long until the TS starts a thread titled "help! my guitar is trying to electrocute me!!!"?

the ground wire exists for a reason. connect it or regret it.
Quote by Little_Buster
Its also possible to shock yourself without a ground wire.

I was pretty sure you got shocked because of the grd wire.

Alot of older places don't always meet the current electrical code, and can have the polarity of the wires at the socket reversed. So if you plugged your microphone into a socket of one polarity, and your guitar amp into another socket with the opposite polarity the ground of one is really the live of the other, so when you go to speak into the mircophone you essentially complete the circuit and can get sparks/shocked. You get shocked because your guitar signal grounds out through the amp, and well, because of the bridge wire, the strings are grounded out through the amp, and you touch the strings when you play. If the microphone is oposite polarity and you get close, you become a path to ground though the strings/amp.

If the bridge wire isn't connected then the circuit is not complete so if the polarities are different then the easiest way to grd through you goes through your entire body, through your shoes, and through the floor. This isn't very probable so it really wont happen.

The whole opposite polarity thing isn't really much to worry about now and current electrical code requires it all to be the same. Your guitar will just hum a lot more with out that wire.