I'm just looking to get some general advice/input from some of the more experienced guitar players here. I've been playing for 1 month now, and just kind of wanted to see what people thought of some of the things I've learned.

I made a Youtube video of myself (I'm going to be documenting all my learning and posting riffs, songs, etc on Youtube), it'd be awesome if you gave it a watch. I don't play too much full songs mostly because I don't know any yet. I've just been learning riffs and trying to become comfortable playing the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38A5N7ZgbSI

Thanks for any input guys.
you talk a lot, but not bad for a month
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Don't trust us (a good chunk of Ultimate Guitar members). None of us are experienced enough to seriously comment on you. Don't give credit to a bunch of 12-17 year old kids who think they know a lot about guitars when they know virtually nothing. It is also full of egotistical morons who are a bunch of sheep. Most kids haven't played long enough to give well-rounded feedback on your playing.

You will get a select few people who are sane that happen to be between 12-17. You will also get some real guitarists and people that actually know stuff, but they are hard to come by.

Don't take any of their input too seriously, because it's ill-informed. And because I've just dissed about 95% of the people that are about to comment on this with their 'superior' guitar knowledge, they're going to flame me.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by Junnage
Don't trust us (a good chunk of Ultimate Guitar members). None of us are experienced enough to seriously comment on you. Don't give credit to a bunch of 12-17 year old kids who think they know a lot about guitars when they know virtually nothing. It is also full of egotistical morons who are a bunch of sheep. Most kids haven't played long enough to give well-rounded feedback on your playing.

You will get a select few people who are sane that happen to be between 12-17. You will also get some real guitarists and people that actually know stuff, but they are hard to come by.

Don't take any of their input too seriously, because it's ill-informed. And because I've just dissed about 95% of the people that are about to comment on this with their 'superior' guitar knowledge, they're going to flame me.

+1

And I'm one of those 12-17 year olds who don't know anything about guitar
Quote by Junnage
Don't trust us. None of us are experienced enough to comment on you. Don't give credit to a bunch of 12-17 year old kids who think they know a lot about guitars when they know virtually nothing. It is also full of egotistical morons who are a bunch of sheep.

Now that that's done, I think you're doing quite well for your first month. Good to see that you learned the Blues Scale and some theory and aren't just trying to learn whatever song or riff you think off.
Strats & Seagulls
keep up the lessons first of all...it helps with learning all the basic music theory you need to know..that is if you ever wanted to start writing your own material. i see you've been learning some mayer already with abit of singing...your definitely on the right track. im guessing you must be okay at strumming chords progressions if you're already getting into bluesy kind of stuff. also for the alternate picking...just practice scales to a metronome..and patience. nice first guitar btw! i had a sammick-strat copy as my first and it sounded like ass.
On another note, I agree with SeeEmilyPlay. This is a really cool idea to document your guitar playing on footage. Also, your singing is not bad, just weak. Just sing stronger and with more confidence and your voice will develop over time.

And your teacher knows how to play by ear. I can do it too. It takes practice and just good old enjoying the guitar, sitting back and getting a feel and understanding and love for the sound and notes.

P.S. I'm your first subscriber. I await your future videos.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
For a month, it looks like you're doing pretty good. But I laughed at "John Mayer John Mayer John Mayer" I guess we all have our icons.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Appreciate the comments a ton and I'm taking them all in. I'll try and talk less on my videos haha.

Totally agree about learning theory and not just riffs. I truly love the guitar and listening to guys like Mayer, Hendrix, SRV and the likes play. Plus in order to be able to improvise I think your theory has to be a very solid foundation.

If you're interesting in following along with the progress make sure to subscribe and comment! There's nothing that motivates me to post useful updates and things I'm learning more than seeing a reaction come out of it, no matter how small.

Thanks again!
You should check out Clapton. He's a guitar icon and he plays with John Mayer. Hope you like what you find.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
I'm one of those 17 year old kids. 18 really, but I'm going to go ahead and give you what I would consider some helpful advice. But as has been said, I've been playing around 3.5 years, I know a fair amount, but by no means everything.

ANYWAY
You seem to be making very good progress. Your playing is clean but a little bit choppy in places. I'd strongly recommend sucking it up and practicing with a metronome every once in a while. It can do wonders for smoothing out your playing.
It'd be nice to hear you actually play for a while without talking. Actually try to play something. It seems like that may be one of your weaknesses. Try actually learning a song from beginning to end and practicing until you can play it cleanly.
You'd also do well learning basic theory of chords and progressions and learn how to effectively use your scales with those progressions.

I'll subscribe or at least bookmark your page.
good luck
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
you talk a lot, but not bad for a month

I'd agree. Don't talk so much on the next one just put that info in the description

I've been playing for two months (mostly on weekends) and you're better than I am; but I didn't have any lessons.

Just keep practicing; it sounds great
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Hey there, first post on UG =D. I've been seeing this site a lot but I'm starting to post now lol.
Well, I agree in some parts with what Junnage said. But I think you will find people with non-solid opinions from all ages, not only 12-17 year old ppl, and you will also find ppl in the ages mentioned that will have really solid opinions...so it depends on you to judge the opinions you receive. But I'm done talking, gonna say my opinion =D:
I think you are pretty good!! The change between chords, the rhythym feel, and singing while playing!! All of these are beginner's difficulties, and you seem to nail them all.
What I'm trying to say is, you're on the right way to become a good guitar player, and I feel like you really have the talent. Keep it that way!

ps: Sorry for the bad english =( (I guess all foreigners/south americans say that xD)
Hey there I got a sig!
this is an incredible idea. I wish I would have thought to document my progress on guitar.

not bad for a month at all. You keep working one day you'll be playing John Mayer and beyond with no problem. Its always great to see another eager guitarist wanting to learn.

Rock on!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Not bad for a month, considering you can sing/play at the same time. Just stick with the lessons for a while.

Remember to HAVE FUN WITH IT!! A lot of people forget that guitar is supposed to be fun.

BTW - Welcome to the world of guitar!!
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Definitely metronomes do help a lot with keeping it smooth.

I just sat with the metronome on for about 20 minutes playing the same scale up and down.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
I'd strongly recommend sucking it up and practicing with a metronome every once in a while. It can do wonders for smoothing out your playing.
yea, not bad for a month, keep it up!
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
play more talk less
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Yeah... If it wasn't for UG I wouldn't have waited half the video for the guitar sound.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Woo my FireStudio came today, hopefully I can get a drum video up so you guys know I'm at least a musician .
You should take up some SRV, get some of Mayer's Influences in your repertoire man...*Goes to learn Mayer's cover of Bold As Love*
You seem like a cool guy.

Diggin' the Strat too... holy...

But uhm, (LOL uhm) yeah you're pretty good for a month. I didn't even know what fingerpicking was, that far in... :|

I'm no expert but you seem to be doing brilliantly for one month. I couldn't switch between chords smoothly after one month let alone alternate picking. I've never really done finger picking.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
you are lucky to have a guitar teacher. Back when i started i didn't know anything about guitar, guitar oriented music, and had no guitar playing friends. Only after a year did i even hear terms such as "alternate picking", "sweep picking", even "palm muting". Talk about a total waste of a years worth of guitar playing.
Awesome idea to document your progress - don't forget to look back at it in a few weeks/months time, you'll be amazed how far you've improved You sound pretty darn good for just a month in to me!

Sounds like you got yourself a good teacher there too! Hang on to him!