Simply put, my Blues Jr. doesn't have a gainstage and my band plays some metal. So far my Big Muff has done well even when I'm using my strat, but it's not quite the right metally tone I want. My question is simple. Could I use a RAT2 as my distortion for metal, hard rock and the like, even with a strat like my Big Muff?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I think there's some sort of metal-oriented Rat, too... But the Rat 2 is fairly heavy... you should consider putting a boost in front of it, though, if you really want to get a heavy tone out of it. Try it first, of course.
Exactly how heavy of a sound do you need?
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Sounds like a good plan to me. Use moderate gain on the RAT and set up your TS9 for a light crunch. Bingo - you've turned your junior into a three-channel amp!

However I used a Blues Junior as my main gigging rock amp for some months and I was never 100% happy with the tone - the stock speaker is really suited more to clean/mild overdrive. A speaker change might be of benefit if you regularly use the amp for anything heavier than SRV.
Quote by toyboxmonster
I think there's some sort of metal-oriented Rat, too... But the Rat 2 is fairly heavy... you should consider putting a boost in front of it, though, if you really want to get a heavy tone out of it. Try it first, of course.

Can-do, I already switch my TS9 to a cleanish boost for SRV stuff if I got the meaning right.

Quote by mogar
Exactly how heavy of a sound do you need?

Heaviest stuff we play that I'm playing guitar instead of bass on is probably Metallica, as well as, since metal probably wouldn't be all I'd use it for if I bought it, factoring in other things the TS9 is too light for, Nirvana, Green Day(Mock me for playing power-chord rock if you want, but it's simple, fun and easy. perfect mesh for a band starting off), Rush, Boston and one other band I can't remember.

Quote by kyle62
Sounds like a good plan to me. Use moderate gain on the RAT and set up your TS9 for a light crunch. Bingo - you've turned your junior into a three-channel amp!

However I used a Blues Junior as my main gigging rock amp for some months and I was never 100% happy with the tone - the stock speaker is really suited more to clean/mild overdrive. A speaker change might be of benefit if you regularly use the amp for anything heavier than SRV.

=D

Hmm...would a Celestion Vintage 30 work?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 11, 2009,
You should be alright then. Just push that RAT with your tubescreamer a bit and watch the feedback on the heavy stuff. It won't be the greatest metal tone, but it'll do.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I don't know, if i were you I'd be careful before trying to turn the Blues. Jr into something different, its a cool amp and all, and getting just for occasional semi-heavy is okay

but i might consider getting something for versatile.

b-52 at-112?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by necrosis1193
Can-do, I already switch my TS9 to a cleanish boost for SRV stuff if I got the meaning right.

Heaviest stuff we play that I'm playing guitar instead of bass on is probably Metallica, as well as, since metal probably wouldn't be all I'd use it for if I bought it, factoring in other things the TS9 is too light for, Nirvana, Green Day(Mock me for playing power-chord rock if you want, but it's simple, fun and easy. perfect mesh for a band starting off), Rush, Boston and one other band I can't remember.

=D

Hmm...would a Celestion Vintage 30 work?

Sure - after all it's pretty much the industry standard for heavy guitar tone...

Check the impedence first (I'm fairly certain the Junior is 8ohms) though or your little Fender will fry
Quote by acdclandon
I don't know, if i were you I'd be careful before trying to turn the Blues. Jr into something different, its a cool amp and all, and getting just for occasional semi-heavy is okay

b-52 at-112?

I don't have the cash for a new amp.

Quote by kyle62
Sure - after all it's pretty much the industry standard for heavy guitar tone...

Check the impedence first (I'm fairly certain the Junior is 8ohms) though or your little Fender will fry

Alright then, will-do.

if the TS9 doesn't have enough gain, why not get it modded by Keeley or Analogman? it would be cheaper then buying a new pedal.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
if the TS9 doesn't have enough gain, why not get it modded by Keeley or Analogman? it would be cheaper then buying a new pedal.

I can't be without it for the time it'll take, I need it weekly. If not more often than that.

I thought the rat did a pretty good early metallica tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've never been a fan of a Rat by itself, but I completely agree with everyone who said to push the Rat with the Tubescreamer. I'm actually surprised more people don't run setups like this, heck I push my Box of Metal with my Sparkle Drive.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Why don't you get a Turbo Rat? AFAIK, they're more suited to heavy tones than the Rat or Rat 2.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
I would say keep the blues for your cleans and eventually buy another amp (primarily for it's distortion) and AB them.
oh man i for got about the rat! its br00talz!
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by acdclandon

b-52 at-112?

This &/or the Keeley mod are the best advice here IMO. Multiple dist/ODs=sonic mud.
I like to hear my amps, not a garbled pedal mess with no clarity or definition.
Depends if you want tone that's tolerable or great.

Edit: FWIW, I have an old 1979 Rat that is a killer dist pedal, but I never use it because my amp's own dist is better. The one amp I boost, I use an OCD because it has a bit better clarity & punch to it. Only one boost or OD at a time .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Mar 12, 2009,
Try out the Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion. I just grabbed one last night after trying out a multitude of distortion/OD/metal pedals with my '59 Bassman RI and that pedal's the one that can work with my amp to go from light OD to a really heavy sound without being too muddy/fizzy/over the top. I'd compare the middle spot of the range of sound I shoot for out of the pedal to a TS9DX set to turbo and max drive.
Gear:

JCM 900 w/Lead 1960 cab
Custom Aria Pro II w/coil splits and phase changer (my baby!)
Schecter Omen 6 w/upgraded coil split Duncans
Pile o' pedals
Can't go wrong with the rat, it's got some fantastic distortion, my band mate runs one and it's awesome.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
A RAT is a fantastic pedal. I think you'll be able to get by for metal, especially if you have a high output bridge pickup.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by mwalluk
I would say keep the blues for your cleans and eventually buy another amp (primarily for it's distortion) and AB them.

this is probably your best option.

To be honest with you I'd draw the line at replacing the speaker (with a hard rock oriented one, a normal good fender one would make sense), but buying a vintage 30 is like 150, and you would just stick a keeley modded od or rat in front of it?

My suggestion is to either just pick up the rat and use it and get some decent tones with it, plain out get a new amp, or save up and a/b another amp, which would be killer.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE