I play classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix and some other bands like Ratm, Metallica, RHCP, ect. What would I need to get to play these bands? Led Zeppelin is my favourite band so something that sounds good for their music. I am getting a Peavey Valveking 112 amp.
Thanks
Distortion more than overdrive.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
what's the difference between the two?
Morris Les Paul copy
Jackson DKXT Dinky
Seagull Acoustic

Roland Cube 15
Line 6 spider IV 75
Distortion is when the frequencies get distorted.
Overdrive is the sound when a tube amp's volume is all the way to 11.

Something like that.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Distortion=Messing with the guitars electrical signal.
Overdrive=Pushing the tubes in an amp to the point where they can't handle the amplitude of the signal, causing the sound to break up.

Pretty sure thats the simplest way to put it.

In your case, I would sya get overdrive. If you don't have a tube amp, you can get an overdrive pedal.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Last edited by TehMasterSword at Mar 11, 2009,
Pricerange?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
A good overdrive like the Boss SD-1 would help your tone. I've played that amp before and it seemed to have a good amount of distortion in the amp itself...similar to a 5150 imo. So you'd benefit from an overdrive because you would just need an extra push in mids and treble rather than full on distortion. I'd only recommend a distortion if you were trying to get like a death metal type tone.
Quote by Kaz3-6-0
what's the difference between the two?

The difference is the type of clipping. Distortion leans towards harder clipping and overdrive uses softer clipping to emulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp. There can often be a fine line between the two. OD pedals are sometimes used as boosts to hit the front end of the amp a little harder as well. This is done by turning up the volume level on the pedal past unity gain, the same techincally can be done with a distortion pedal or any other pedal that gets above unity gain. Some OD pedals act good as boosts, others don't.
Are distortion pedals more used though? Alot of songs say light distortion or heavy distortion while most songs don't say use overdrive. And my price range is up to $250.
If you're getting a ValveKing I wouldn't recommend getting either. The dirty channel on it is so awesome you can get great sounds out of it. Just get the ValveKing footswitch so you can switch between the clean and dirty channels.

But as for what you should do...get the amp first and play around with it for a week to see what sounds you can get. Then get a pedal.
Last edited by grantjames at Mar 12, 2009,