How are these amps? Im a little wary because i love tube tone but i've heard a lot of great things about them.

I play in a melodic hardcore band, so i'm wondering if i would be able to get a tone like that of converge. It needs to be heavy and crunchy Im not necessarily set on wanting a marshall/mesa tone, im open to all possibilities on my quest for tone. Plus this thing is a steal for $500 for the head and cab.

any experiences?
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
no one appreciates vintage gear in this forum...
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
It is not good for your style of music. Buy it and sell if for double.....which is what they normally go for. Then you can put that $1000 towards a amp more suited to your style.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
well from what i hear it is suited for stoner rock and stuff like that. would you like to elaborate on why it isnt for my style? Tone is pretty subjective, and say i want a really fat messy tone? A bunch of bands i love use these style amps (rise and fall, fight amp) and i can say that i love the sound they get.

does it not respond well to dynamics being solid state? not very "tight" sounding?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
It's an awesome amp. Think sludge metal, with a bit more of an edge.

Loud, nasty, tons of gain.

I like them.

They're SS, so let that be known.

WTF is melodic hardcore? An oxymoron?
No, don't listen to LaidBack. Sunn amps are amazing. They have killer, tight distortion that can be used in just about anything. You can most definetly play hardcore with it (well).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
well you can look in my profile for an example of one of our songs. My other guitarist is using an ampeg b25 from 1969. so we are definitely going for a unique tone.

And from your first sentence thats really exactly what im looking for haha. i dont want it to be sloppy sounding, but lots of gain would be sweet
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I wouldn't say DON'T listen to me Just not in this thread. I just thought they were more of a clean amp. I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this amp. Flog me later. I concede to thee Dr. Pain!!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Listen to old ISIS, amaaaazing amps. $500 is a really great price too. You'll love it, it'll give you a pretty unique tone for converge type stuff.

edit: I appreciate vintage gear.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
i just pray to god its not sold. the listing is a month old to this day.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I was thinking of a Model T....not the Beta Lead.....ok...I'm done with this thread.

/apologize
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
It's cool dude.
Model Ts are actually very good amps as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by LaidBack
I was thinking of a Model T....not the Beta Lead.....ok...I'm done with this thread.

/apologize

Model T's can actually be huge gain monsters when you crank them, especially the ReIssues (but in a different way).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The dude from the Melvins uses Beta Leads.
ok im also looking at a beta lead combo for $100. is this for real?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
You tell us lol. If so, then don't even think about it. You can always resell at a much higher price.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by imgooley
The dude from the Melvins uses Beta Leads.

and The Red Sea era ISIS

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Oh man, this thread makes me feel full of phail!

Anyway, at least my buy and resell comment was good enough.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I believe MatrixClaw has owned or used the Beta Lead.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I believe MatrixClaw has owned or used the Beta Lead.

Surprise surprise...

I think Deniz and Goolz have it mostly covered. Sunn amps are fantastic.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments